Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you gay?

• 15-02-2007 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

How many times have you heard that one in ten people is homosexual?

Well, I've had enough of the hypothesising on the issue - it's a straightforward poll, pure and simple. It's anonymous so nobody will go checking up on your own sexuality afterwards! I just wanted to see how many people on AH/Boards in general might happen to be of a non-heterosexual persuasion and to put proof to the figure that one-in-ten of us isn't straight.

(Ruu: I understand that this might be far more suited to the S&S forum but as you'd imagine it's got a smaller viewer group and therefore the poll wouldn't be entirely representative of the Boards/Irish population at large.)

What is your sexual orientation? 339 votes

Heterosexual / straight (people of the opposite gender)
    0% 0 votes
    Homosexual (people of your own gender)
    81% 276 votes
    Bisexual (either males or females)
    7% 25 votes
    Tar.Aldarion
    11% 38 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why are you doing this ?
    Are you trying to out yourself to as many boardsters as possible to up the chances of you getting laid ?
    Oh and the over all % of boards poster that post in AH is a lot smaller then you think.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Thaedydal wrote:
    Why are you doing this ?
    This is After Hours, boredom probably figures highly.

I'd be interested to see what the percentages are like here. I'd imagine there are a higher proportion of gayers on boards than in the real world. There's definately a higher proportion of liberal peace loving hippies on here anyway (hurrah for that!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm waiting for the "are you black" follow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

biko wrote:
    lol.

Hetero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

biko wrote:
    If singingstranger was thinking on his feet he could have named the thread "Are you a black gay" Rookie error from the wee fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Thaedydal wrote:
    Why are you doing this ?
    Are you trying to out yourself to as many boardsters as possible to up the chances of you getting laid ?
    Er, no, it's honest-to-God genuine curiosity about the real portion of non-straight people in the world. Like, where did they ever get the stat from in the first place? And anyway, I'm not rooting people out (how would I do that with an anonymous poll?!), I've got a g/f (I'm male btw) and am really rather very much in love with her, so...
    Thaedydal wrote:
    Oh and the over all % of boards poster that post in AH is a lot smaller then you think.
    Then so be it!
    Pighead wrote:
    If singingstranger was thinking on his feet he could have named the thread "Are you a black gay" Rookie error from the wee fella.
    Eh, don't hold your breath waiting for that sequel, PH...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Where's the "In denial" option in the poll?
    It's um...for a..a friend yeah, that was it...

Straight, btw

[edit] 3 bi already? Go girls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Gay black midget goat lover with a glass eye ftw (well that's kinda how I look)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Wertz wrote:

Straight, btw

Never assume they are girls.

OP your post is flawed... badly.
    see the link to the kinsey scale.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_scale
    this gives some indication of the complexity of human sexuality as it also gives other scales and concepts.
    The S+S forum has already run the poll.
    The results are only valid for that forum
    while the AH results are valid for this forum and not the population in general.

In any event the poll is skewed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gablin

Are you gay?

*in 12-year-old schoolyard accent* Wha? Na, you're gay.

Oh, wait, you're serious.

No. But I know someone who is, and he does not conform to gay stereotypes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Maybe I'm just conforming to stereotype, but in my estimation, most gay men would vote gay (thus not considering themselves Bi) whereas gay women may have had heterosexual relations and will vote Bi...I'm not saying that any gay men haven't had a heterosexual relationship, just that, to me, it is less likely.

Anyway, allow the rest of the boards menfolk to fantasize about at least 3 up for it lesbians in their midst...
    :p

[edit] Poll now at 36 straight and 4 gay/bi.....1:10 ratio holding well so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

OP your post is flawed... badly.
    see the link to the kinsey scale.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_scale

and the S+S forum has already run the poll.
    But we know that gays are more promiscuous than straights, so they're invariably going to be drawn to the S&S forum, and thus the poll there will be flawed.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A thread as silly and pointless as this pops up every so often. It's usually justly ridiculed until (a) it fizzles out (b) it's locked.

DaveMcG wrote:
    But we know that gays are more promiscuous than straights, so they're invariably going to be drawn to the S&S forum, and thus the poll there will be flawed.

:cool:

Why should someone who is gay be more inevitably drawn to the S+S forum? and gays more promiscuous than straights?

Tut! :D
    No the poll would not be flawed, but would reflect those using the forum. or to qualify, it would be AS flawed as the kinsey scale as that is what it used.
    To get a more accurate reflection a much larger survey in ireland will have to be carried out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What about the trysexuals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

The-Rigger wrote:
    It took 'til #16... I'm impressed! :)

The-Rigger wrote:

try anything once :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why should someone who is gay be more inevitably drawn to the S+S forum? and gays more promiscuous than straights?

Tut!

But it's all true! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'll leave here OP unless it becomes pointless (almost inevitable here I know but ya can always hope).:)

#20 and no "Yer ma is gay!" I am shocked, AH'ers, what is wrong with ye today!

Dudess wrote:
    But it's all true! ;)

damn can't argue with that logic.... handbags at dawn then laaaaaaaaaady:p

Hmmmmmm Dudess..sounds suspicious to me :)

• Advertisement

It took 'til #16... I'm impressed! :)

I'd of been here earlier if I could of! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

How many times have you heard that one in ten people is homosexual?

Thats actually the first time I've heard that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

If 1 in 10 are gay that means 1.2 of the 12 apostles were gay. Pigheads money is on Judas(he was definitely bent) and maybe Jesus' hair(he had it GHD'd by the look of some of the pictures I've seen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I'm a filthy homosexual, and will burn in hell ;)

(All the best people are there, anyway.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Pighead wrote:
    If 1 in 10 are gay that means 1.2 of the 12 apostles were gay. Pigheads money is on Judas(he was definitely bent) and maybe Jesus' hair(he had it GHD'd by the look of some of the pictures I've seen)

Hmmm.. wonder which one of my football team is the Judas then :confused:

Pighead wrote:

Paul was just a little too fixated on such things ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

connundrum wrote:
    So ... you find yourself thinking about which of your teammates might be gay, do you, connundrum? Hmmmm .... :p

Ruu wrote:
    I'#20 and no "Yer ma is gay!" I am shocked, AH'ers, what is wrong with ye today!
    SOME of us were restraining ourselves manfully! For shame, Ruu! Definitely no hope of the rest of us resisting temptation, then ... :D

connundrum wrote:

This can be trivially determined by offering silver coins and seeing if they get embarrassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

*grumbles about the lack of an 'Atari Jaguar' option* :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I understand that this might be far more suited to the S&S forum but as you'd imagine it's got a smaller viewer group and therefore the poll wouldn't be entirely representative of the Boards/Irish population at large.)
    Larger audience
    - Posting on AH simply "to reach a larger audience" may result in a ban. The thread will be moved/deleted. If your thread is more suited to another board then please post it there. After Hours is to discuss non-specific topics and issues in a general way. If you have a serious Political or News post, they should be posted on their specific forums.

For the record I once kissed a girl that had kissed a guy before .... so that makes me gay right?

So, one out of the 1st ten posters are gay.. then my moneys on Wertz.

Sure, why not.

Ruu wrote:

#20 and no "Yer ma is gay!" I am shocked, AH'ers, what is wrong with ye today!

Yore gay, and yore wifes actually post-op NetWhizKid.

Truth had to be known I'm afaid Ruu... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Pighead wrote:
    My excuse for knowing what GHD is, is that I have 3 cousins who are hairdressers.
    What's yours?
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

93 straight
    10 gay.
    Pretty close to 10%

Blisterman wrote:
    93 straight
    10 gay.
    Pretty close to 10%
    You don't say?

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote:
    You don't say?

nah, he is right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Wertz wrote:
    Maybe I'm just conforming to stereotype, but in my estimation, most gay men would vote gay (thus not considering themselves Bi) whereas gay women may have had heterosexual relations and will vote Bi...I'm not saying that any gay men haven't had a heterosexual relationship, just that, to me, it is less likely.

Anyway, allow the rest of the boards menfolk to fantasize about at least 3 up for it lesbians in their midst...
    :p

[edit] Poll now at 36 straight and 4 gay/bi.....1:10 ratio holding well so far...

could they not be genuine bi guys? as in, guys who genuinely like girls and boys and not gay guys who have kissed the odd girl?

kraggy wrote:
    could they not be genuine bi guys? as in, guys who genuinely like girls and boys and not gay guys who have kissed the odd girl?

Also, it must be remembered that there may be women answering the poll. The (much-disputed) 10% figure is for men only.

rsynnott wrote:
    Also, it must be remembered that there may be women answering the poll.

Women?On the internet?...out of the kitchen?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

rsynnott wrote:
    Also, it must be remembered that there may be women answering the poll. The (much-disputed) 10% figure is for men only.

Correct, it's general population.

synott, my point is in relation to
    Wertz wrote:

Straight, btw

nothing to do with the ten percent thing, just in relation to Wertz's presumption that the 3 bi respondents are girls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

rsynnott wrote:

Lies, we all know that on the internet men are men, women are also men, and children are FBI agents.
    And they are all perverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

1 in 5 people are Chinese.

So clearly you're twice as likely to be Chinese than to be gay.

I thought I was Chinese when I was a teenager, but it turned out to just be a phase I was going through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Sometimes I wish I was gay. I'd get much more hole.

rb_ie wrote:
    Women?On the internet?...out of the kitchen?!
    Aidan_Walsh and his laptop forum have a lot to answer to.

anyway, by my count it's 81.02% heterosexual, 9.49% for both homosexual and bi-sexual. this proves my theory that less than 5% are homosexual, going by the 3 guys from my class of 65 who were gay. Don't know about the girls, but most are married and I can't comment on bi-sexuality.

Sometimes I wish I was gay. I'd get much more hole.
    All men do. We could literally fúck ourselves.

The-Rigger wrote:
    err.. its gen pop

Really? Have you a reference? My understanding was that the origin of the figure was Kinsey's report on human male sexuality; he found that about 10% of men were predominantly homosexual. I can't remember offhand, but I think the figure in his female report was lower.

Or does the 10% figure have another origin entirely?

Terry wrote:
    Aidan_Walsh and his laptop forum have a lot to answer to.

He certainly does...the bastard.
    Terry wrote:
    anyway, by my count it's 81.02% heterosexual, 9.49% for both homosexual and bi-sexual. this proves my theory that less than 5% are homosexual, going by the 3 guys from my class of 65 who were gay. Don't know about the girls, but most are married and I can't comment on bi-sexuality.

9.49% are homosexual, therefore almost 10% of all who voted in the poll are homosexual i.e almost 1 in 10, seeing as its not a multiple option poll. 8 in 10 are straight, and the last 1 in 10 swing both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

HAHA!

Tis bang on 10% now. LIAM NEESON WAS RIGHT!

rsynnott wrote:
    Really? Have you a reference? My understanding was that the origin of the figure was Kinsey's report on human male sexuality; he found that about 10% of men were predominantly homosexual. I can't remember offhand, but I think the figure in his female report was lower.

Or does the 10% figure have another origin entirely?

I think you're right there, 10% or so of men were gay, whilst a lower amount of females were gay, there was a much larger amount of bi women than bi men, or a higher percentage of women were bi than their male counterparts iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Terry wrote:
    All men do. We could literally fúck ourselves.

Haha I was thinking more in terms of being hit on. Gay guys are much more likely to hit on you (or me in this case) than even the most confident women. But perhaps that's a different thread....

• Advertisement
Advertisement