Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing new pup to old 'girls'

Options
  • 15-02-2007 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

Some have you may have seen my 'New Puppy' thread.

Looks like we could be collecting Lucy this weekend.

Our two dogs at the moment are Molly (Bassett 11 this year) and Hayley (Lhasa Apso 10 this year)

They are both gentle docile dogs who like the quiet life now,I'm just wondering how they'll take to a relatively 'hyper' puppy.
    The GF reckons they'll turn back into puppies themselves! House of Fun so :)

I've read in a couple of places to try and get them to say their hellos on neutral ground,don't know how practical that could be ...unless the front garden where the others don't usually be.

Anyone with any info/tips please ?

Also would appreciate advice on bringing puppy home on a longish journey ie 200 Km/3 hours

311842678_ba5c449faf_m.jpg 379624685_e41b3539d6_m.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

advice on bringing puppy home on a longish journey ie 200 Km/3 hours

Let her travel in the back seat, with somebody sitting next to her who can look after her, hold her, keep her out of trouble, etc.

Bring an old blanket* for her to lie on and lots and lots of kitchen towels for possible "mishaps". Also bring some water and a little bowl for her to drink out of. Stop when she gets restless ...but not too often and not in spots where lots of other dogs do their business, as she wouldn't be fully vaccinated yet and therefore at risk for infection.

Most importantly, keep her calm, don't excite her (or "console" her all the time) ...if you're lucky she'll just fall asleep.

By the time you get home, she will be completely tired, exhausted and disorientated ...or ...well rested after her long sleep and full of beans :D

Don't introduce her to the others if she's tired, give her a chance to rest first.

Once you're looking at a "fit" puppy, give her an introduction to her new surroundings without the others first. Let her get a good sniffaround ...then let her meet the other two.

Outside is preferable, but if it has to be indoors, pick the biggest room (you'll soon see why:D )

With a tiny pup neutral ground isn't really necessary ...they will all have to learn to get along anyway.

The most important thing (and the hardest one to do) when introducing a new pup is to lay down "the rules" from the very first second and not to fuss over the pup. If your older two see that the pup gets no special treatment, they will find it so much easier to accept it. Also be careful that the pup does not infringe on the existing rights of the older ones (like try to take possesion of their things and favourite spots) and that it leaves them in peace if they want it.

Other than that ...sit back, watch and learn how dogs do these things. Most likely all YOU will need to do is keep the peace now and then and calm them all down.

*if you're getting her from a good breeder, they might actually provide her with an old rag that still carries the "home" smell ...that will make things less daunting for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

peasant -I appreciate you taking the time on such a helpful reply - many thanks.

I was originally thinking of bringing a piece of vet bed and putting her on my lap but I can see the back seat would be better.
    Lots of kitchen towels ok,GF is driving this time and her car will be 1 week old !

Breeder told us they have been calling her Lucy since we were there :)

Looking forward to having 3 again.

Lots of kitchen towels ok,GF is driving this time and her car will be 1 week old !

Well ...you never know ... she might get sick, or pee ...
    It'll be her first time in a car, after all.

Just for this trip ...put some plastic sheeting down where she will be (and the blanket or vet bed on top) and any accident shouldn't be a problem ...especially when you bring lots of kitchen towels to soak it up before it spreads ...and a bin bag to put the towels in :D

EDIT:

Another thing ...let the breeder know, when you're coming and how far and long you're travelling. That way they can control her feeding and toilet going in such a way that Lucy should be mostly "empty" :D while travelling

In fairness it wouldn't bother her too much - the dogs come first !

That's why I had to laugh when I saw your comment in the MINI thread on Motors a while ago.I know herself would love one but it must be a hatch for the dogs,She'd be very interested in the Clubman too.

Yeah ..I'd love a clubman ...but with an Old English Sheepdog, a Beardie and a Terrier I'm sure it ain't gonna be big enough.

Best of luck and lots of joy with Lucy anyway ...no matter in what car !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Dogs recongnise by sent, so what would be good would be, imo, would be when she gets home take the blanket you used for her and let the older ladies smell it, get used to her sent. Also when you get them together, let them sniff around her back end first. Know this sounds weird, but face to face with a dog can be intimadating.

As P said, don't fuss over Lucy too much, as the other ladies will get jealous. If you see a little misunderstanding going on, let them sort it, as long as it doesnt get out of hand. She has to learn her place.

Best of luck, and btw.... your basset is the cutest i have seen in a long time.

Jules

Well Lucy is home since Saturday,the journey home was no bother at all.

I'm afraid the initial reception from the other two hasn't been wonderful.I never heard Molly(Bassett) growl at anything until the pup arrived.They don't really appreciate Lucy trying to play with them,there has been quite a few snaps and growls.

We have been careful not too be fussing over the pup and treating the others as normal.

That said the situation is improving slowly but we certainly wouldn't leave them unsupervised at the moment.Lucy is sleeping in a crate at night for the time being.
    Luckily GF is off work for the week so she can keep on eye on things.

403247778_d499d191a0_m.jpg 403748433_bd2f3423d7_m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

This thread has been very helpful to me as I am thinking of getting a beagle to go with my two dobermans. I am sure there would be no problem with the dobermans as they are only 8 months old and love playing.;)

I'd say the two "old ladies" are just teaching the "youth of today" some manners ...as long as it isn't brollies and handbags at full swing, I'd say there probably is nothing to worry about.

The two older ones just aren't interested in puppy-hyperactivity. Lucy will be clever enough to figure that one out in time.

If it's feasible (without making the other two jealous) get her into a different room / outside every now and then and help her burn off some of that youthful exuberance with a bit of one-on-one play.

A tired pup is a good pup ...probably also in the eyes of the older ladies.

EDIT

another thing:

The old ladies growling at Lucy when she's being a nuisance is ok, but do not tolerate bullying or just "general giving out" in Lucy's direction.

It's a bit of a balance act between not obviously favouring the pup, yet at the same time establishing peace and quiet and the same rules for everybody.

YOUR rules are the ones that apply ...not the dogs' ...be they young or old.

As you've had three before, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Advertisement