Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting for the first time

Options
  • 15-02-2007 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey guys, looking for a little advise.

I plan on moving out of the family home and renting an apartment for the first time but Im looking for a bit of information on what the costs will be.

Im basicaly looking at apartments in Carlow, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms kind of thing. Hoping for something fairly modern and with two parking spaces, unfurnished for at least a years lease. Ill be sharing with one of my mates.

Budget for rent would be about 750 a month.

Now im just looking at what other charges would there be in renting an apartment. In what way would I be charged for bills? Would it be a a flat monthly fee for electricity and heating?
    Do you ahve to pay some kind of maintenance charge?

One other thing, how do modern apartments cope with sound? Would I be able to hear people above me watching tv or is there some kind of sound deadening in place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

Mic-12345 wrote:
    Hey guys, looking for a little advise.

Im basicaly looking at apartments in Carlow, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms kind of thing. Hoping for something fairly modern and with two parking spaces, unfurnished for at least a years lease. Ill be sharing with one of my mates.

Budget for rent would be about 750 a month.

?
    I presume you mean budget for the two of you is €750. that sounds about right. we have a 2 bed 2 bathroom unlimited parking in limerick city(in a nice area) for €750

Other things to budget for are:
    Gas: we budget €100 a month throughout the year so it balances out between winter and summer
    ESB: same as gas
    Chorus/Sky
    TV License
    Contents Insurance
    Food

It's unlikely you'd be charged a flat fee for gas and electric. Normally the utilities will be put in your name and sent directly to you.

I'm not sure re the maintenance charges. I would have thought this was the landlords responsibility.

Our apartment block is about 10 years old and overall the sound is ok. If the neighbours are having a party you'd hear it but just things like tv or that we don't hear.

Don't forget, if you're a PAYE worker you can claim rent relief. This is about €330 a year so well worth claiming.

Good Luck. Enjoy your new apartment when you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mic-12345

shoppergal wrote:
    I presume you mean budget for the two of you is €750. that sounds about right. we have a 2 bed 2 bathroom unlimited parking in limerick city(in a nice area) for €750

Other things to budget for are:
    Gas: we budget €100 a month throughout the year so it balances out between winter and summer
    ESB: same as gas
    Chorus/Sky
    TV License
    Contents Insurance
    Food

It's unlikely you'd be charged a flat fee for gas and electric. Normally the utilities will be put in your name and sent directly to you.

I'm not sure re the maintenance charges. I would have thought this was the landlords responsibility.

Our apartment block is about 10 years old and overall the sound is ok. If the neighbours are having a party you'd hear it but just things like tv or that we don't hear.

Don't forget, if you're a PAYE worker you can claim rent relief. This is about €330 a year so well worth claiming.

Good Luck. Enjoy your new apartment when you get it.

Cool thanks for the help. Seems like most bases are covered there.

Advertisement