Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White Collared shirts..

• 15-02-2007 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭

What do people think of the shirts with a normal design/solid colour then have a white collar?? They seem to be coming in lately or maybe i'm just coming out of the closet...
    I want one for the next time I have to dress up...Where would I locate them??

What age would ye peeps say they are designed for / suit??

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

just my opinion, but don't do it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Personally I don't like them at all. I do, however, know that Gant are doing them lately, and can probably be gotten in BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

K so.. I'l have a second think so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

There are tons of them by different labels in BT. I have worn them with suits before, but always without a tie.

For some reason, I can see these being big outside Dublin...I don't know why, but they're something I can see being popular amongst the men in Munster. Not the West though, they've generally a better dress sense than the South...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The type Dr Micko Smurfit, Tony O'Reilly all the grey hair top businessmen wear?
    anthonyoreilly.jpg
    I'd only expect hot-shot bankers / stockbroker types to wear it tbh.
    Anyone else, probably has bleached blonde hair, diamond earring and a stripey yellow and blue v neck over it...
    Maybe it works, but I wouldn't try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Good Lord no techguy - and I'm the one that gets accused of being an 80s accountant??! (:p)

Whatever line of work you're in/occasion you're attending, it won't wash unless you're at least over 40. And even than that's pushing it. Whereas that's personal opinion, the majority of people also tend to view them as naff, even on older men, and so especially with younger guys.

Saying that, you can pull one off if being worn in a faintly post-modern, tongue in cheek kinda way - some journos do it and it can look strangly alright, so I vaguely see where you're coming from. But personally I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. People also tend to think that you think you look very smart, and so think 'ah bless him'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Deflector wrote:
    Good Lord no techguy - and I'm the one that gets accused of being an 80s accountant??! (:p)
    Yes techguy, even Deflector says no. That's really saying something.

They are hideous in the extreme. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

techguy wrote:
    What do people think of the shirts with a normal design/solid colour then have a white collar??
    I don't like them either, but each to theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭DeiseGal

rb_ie wrote:
    For some reason, I can see these being big outside Dublin...I don't know why, but they're something I can see being popular amongst the men in Munster. Not the West though, they've generally a better dress sense than the South...

What kinda statement is this????? Some dublin ppl are painful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They always make me think of Michael Winner or old school Tories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

The quintessential shirt of any up and coming 80's business mogul, APPROACH WITH GREAT CARE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I quite like them.

/hides

I'm speaking from a more casual point of view.. I would go fore completely contrasting maybe a light shirt with a pattern and then a white collar..
    Anyway i'll be thinking twice..
    lets just let this thread fade to the second page of fash/app :o

Pythia wrote:
    I quite like them.

/hides

Yeah so do i but i think they just look really tacky on some people, its completely dependant on how who ever is wearing it and if they really pull it off. When they can though it's hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think they can look good in theory but I've never really seen a decent one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

i know henry jermyn on dawson street sells them, on sale too i think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

they look very wannabe stockbroker. I always think they look stuffy and uncomfortable. Not in a formal sense, the collar and cuffs just look like they're sitting badly.
    The white collar, patterned shirt thing came about in the late victorian era. Poorer people wore patterned shirts because they didn't show the dirt. Richer people wore white, as only someone with money could afford to launder/replace shirts that often. When people decided they liked patterned shirts, they wore a white collar to show they could afford the laundry bill, but they liked patterned shirts. Just some useless info.
    In short, they're ugly as sin.

il gatto wrote:
    they look very wannabe stockbroker. I always think they look stuffy and uncomfortable. Not in a formal sense, the collar and cuffs just look like they're sitting badly.
    The white collar, patterned shirt thing came about in the late victorian era. Poorer people wore patterned shirts because they didn't show the dirt. Richer people wore white, as only someone with money could afford to launder/replace shirts that often. When people decided they liked patterned shirts, they wore a white collar to show they could afford the laundry bill, but they liked patterned shirts. Just some useless info.

Useless? Not at all, really intersting aswell.

il gatto wrote:

LOL, did you read that in the back of the style supplement about 12months ago??

• Advertisement

DeiseGal wrote:
    What kinda statement is this????? Some dublin ppl are painful!
    lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

What have stockbrokers done to deserve such derision? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

techguy wrote:
    LOL, did you read that in the back of the style supplement about 12months ago??

I don't tend to read style supplements, so no. I think I read it in a book about traditional mens fashion. By Bernhard Roetzel, I think. Not that that makes it any better:o

Batemans only saying that because he's named after the stockbroker in "American Psycho":D .Wait, maybe he's named after Christian Bale's character because he IS a stockbroker.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Yuppies 'R Us! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yuck tbh imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

il gatto wrote:
    Victorian shirts came with detachable collars and cuffs which were held in place with brass studs. The shirt could be worn more than once with just a clean collar added.

simu wrote:
    Yuck tbh imho
    Fwiw tbvfh imvho....I agree.

Advertisement