Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards gone multinational

Options
  • 15-02-2007 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

I've noticed in recent days that boards has added a load of links to international versions of boards - UK, US, etc.
    Why?
    Your username is not valid in the other sites. You have to register to post.
    I see the same oul same oul names appearing in the international sites. Ruu is already near the top of the posts charts in the US version, but at least he lives there, and maybe this is a great idea for an expat like himself.(although I don't know when he gets the time to sleep, and adding this isn't going to help!)) But what is the benefit or relevance to ordinary Irish resident boardsies. Having had a quick glance at the US home page, half the posts seem to be about guns. I know we have a bit of a gun problem in Ireland but I don't think its reached the stage where we need complete forums on gun control.
    I would imagine that the international versions of boards will be a bit of a curiousity to be checked out now and again, but eventually they will be so irrelevant they will just be boring.
    I also believe some of the post count fanatics will view the new variations as a chance to race to the top of the stats in the new territories, posting mindless stuff like lubnip etc.

I've no objection to transplanting a successful formula to other countries like a form of colonisation, but do these countries not have their own already successful discussion forums?
    Or are these international boards intended to be like Irish clubs for expats living away from home? If so are there enough people out there to keep them vital?

Personally I find their presence on the boards.ie homepage an unwelcome and unnecessary distraction, and I think boards.ie is losing focus by going down this road.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Personally I find their presence on the boards.ie homepage an unwelcome and unnecessary distraction, and I think boards.ie is losing focus by going down this road.

thatsnice.jpg

Too soon? I dunno!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You've only noticed it now? Boards.us has been going for at least 2-3 years. I used it when I was thinking of moving over there and since I got there, then I might as well get an Immigration forum setup to help others thinking the same. Let the post count fanatics at it, if they contribute of course, so what? What harm is it doing you?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think its great,have you seen some of the hot chicks in the US...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I love the flags on the front page.

For the admin - Appoint an admin for each site, you wont be able to put in as much effort in to all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

1166049588100gs1.jpg

batcountry.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Brilliant Silverfish! :D

You're so totally right leche solara
    I'm sure the Admins will see the error of their ways and get right on that.
    Hold your breath while you wait. mkay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I would imagine that the international versions of boards will be a bit of a curiousity to be checked out now and again, but eventually they will be so irrelevant they will just be boring.
    I also believe some of the post count fanatics will view the new variations as a chance to race to the top of the stats in the new territories, posting mindless stuff like lubnip etc.

I've no objection to transplanting a successful formula to other countries like a form of colonisation, but do these countries not have their own already successful discussion forums?
    Or are these international boards intended to be like Irish clubs for expats living away from home? If so are there enough people out there to keep them vital?

I can't answer that - let's wait and see - but if you don't try etc. etc. I can say that I expect the UK version to grow slowly but steadily (given our large overspill of users there). boards.ie is a success but one that is nine years in the making. Let's give them other sites a chance.

Well, you can always use adblock to block the images, but frankly I find the distraction argument laughable. The flags have some prominence at the moment, they'll probably move later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

But what is the benefit or relevance to ordinary Irish resident boardsies.
    They don't have much relevance to me right now. I've dealt with this through a cunning plan of not bothering with them. Now you know my secret, you can too.
    Having had a quick glance at the US home page, half the posts seem to be about guns. I know we have a bit of a gun problem in Ireland but I don't think its reached the stage where we need complete forums on gun control.
    What is the relevance of your point about Ireland to ordinary US resident boardsus users?
    Then don't go there.
    Boards.us seems to be quite successful in the few years that its been going, but it isn't for everyone.
    I've no idea why we've a Tuvalu board. Seems to be all about television too. I've even less interest in television than I do in Tuvalu, so I won't be going there much I imagine. Nobody's pointing a ****ing gun at my head (even the gun-nuts in boards.us).
    You aren't in LUBNiP so aren't in much of a position to talk about what's posted there. Personally I think even the more throw-away posts there are less mindless than the post starting this thread.
    They will succeed of fail on their own merits. I reckon the most likely outcome would be some succeeding and some failing - you can't win them all.
    Personally I find their presence on the boards.ie homepage an unwelcome and unnecessary distraction,
    Ad-block the images if you find yourself unable to mentally focus on what you are doing in the presence of flags. Personally, I don't even notice them.
    and I think boards.ie is losing focus by going down this road.
    Please demonstrate a single case where the presence of these boards has negatively affected this one any more than the presence of thousands of boards on the web not owned by Boards Ltd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Now now............

seriouscatdn6.jpg

treacheryxe6ae2.jpg

pear2os6.jpg

Cloud wrote:
    The flags have some prominence at the moment, they'll probably move later.

I hope not, I for one quite like the flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

2709174031ae736f6c5kz3.jpg

discounttent.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Say NO to Rest of teh world!

and a cute pussycat pic

cat_0159.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

About not having shared usernames, couldn't someone just use another .ie username, spam the shiite out of the .us board. And "casually mention" that they also post on .ie!!! Therefore getting the original and clueless .ie guy bannzord?

Hmmmm. Someone post another cat image.

0175eptv6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

1168702253-1167579795069.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

About not having shared usernames, couldn't someone just use another .ie username, spam the shiite out of the .us board. And "casually mention" that they also post on .ie!!! Therefore getting the original and clueless .ie guy bannzord?

Hmmmm. Someone post another cat image.
    IP addresses take care of that problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Been waiting to post this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

No.

1155955017440kl5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

You can call me KITTY CAT!
    1083110205701.jpg

You had to go and ruin it didn't you?

No wait, there's still time! I can save it!

000awkeg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pathetic.jpg

Damn furries

pandabillwy7.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

sexycatnpxc1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dub13 thats too much!

Mike.