Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What a crap car day!

Options
  • 15-02-2007 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

gave up good job ot go back to college full-time this year. In rush hour traffic my crappy car just gave up the ghost on the way home today. It's a 1998 Fiat Brava and my guess if that either the clutch or the gearbox is gone. It starts fine when I press the clutch to get it in gear in squeals like a pig and there is no way I can get it in gear. What does that sound like to you car experts? More importantly is it going to be worth repairing or am I heading to the bank manager to beg for a new car?
    I spend €350 on a new headlight and wipers + wiperwash tubing a few weeks ago. Other than various bumps and cosmetic problems a coil went in 2003. Would love some opinions or guesses?

Ta!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I wouldn't claim to be an expert on what goes on under the bonnet, but me thinks its a gearbox problem. Usually if its the clutch, you'd notice it when pulling away, because the car may kind of stutter when pulling away, or need excess revs. Don't take my word for it though, i couldn't say what I said is 100% right, there are plenty of other people here i'm sure who could give you a much better explanation than I have, and a more accurate answer

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Two kind guards eventually pushed me off the road. I had gone to a garage across the way and asked could they help and they said they were too busy, it would only have taken 5 minutes for anyone to help me push it out of the lane of traffic and into the parking space 5 metres away.

Anyway I digress..... the guards eventually got into into 1st for me and I drove the last mile home in 1st. The clutch was jumping under my foot while I was driving if that helps but maybe that's just because I was doing 30mph in 1st :D

Thanks for the reply!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sounds like the release bearing of the clutch TBH so you're looking at a new clutch. Biggest part will be the labour. Get a price from your local garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

Clutch release bearing for sure.
    Try and get a a spurious clutck kit as the Fiat kit is not that strong.

Demmo wrote:
    Clutch release bearing for sure.
    Try and get a a spurious clutck kit as the Fiat kit is not that strong.

I should try and buy something or get the mechanic to replace it with a non-fiat part? Sorry I'm pretty clueless about engines!

Anyone prepared to hazard a ball park figure for labour?
    Or would people think Fiats of this age are to unreliable to put money into?
    On cbg.ie the average worth is only €1850 and mine is pretty well worn to put it politely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Clutch release bearing it is! I had this in a van last year, I was on Patrick Street in Cork when she was on her last leg I managed through sheer brilliance (and a huge slice of luck) to find a handy parking space on the quays. Its proberly a 3-4 hour job so think a few hundred euro for labour and the kit about 200 euro I guess.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Yeah, mike's pricing is pretty much spot on. Unfortuntely you usually have to buy a kit, even if it's only the release bearing you really need.

Clutch work is just about the worst type of work a car could need. Dropping gearbox away from engine... all those mounts, driveshafts, etc. Then installing the new stuff, lining it up... :(

It happened right outside Anglesea St Garda Station!
    Thankfully they didn't notice the NCT was 12 months out of date!

Hmmm the bones of 500 quid and it could only be the start of the problems with a 9 year old Fiat worth not much over a grand.
    Crap!
    Thanks for the answers guys, even if it's not good news :(

Any suggestions for a cheap new motor :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Happened to the girlfriend's car two months ago. 200 quid seems about right. You should try get it into 2nd gear, as it'll take off in 2nd, but drive at a high enough speed to the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Kazbah wrote:
    Thankfully they didn't notice the NCT was 12 months out of date!

How? Did ye not get the NCT done?

• Advertisement

Dr. Loon wrote:
    How? Did ye not get the NCT done?

I was able to tax the car for a year in July because the sent me the reminder 6 months late in November.

The front passenger side door handle was a bit dodgy and I didn't want to fix it and I had been told that would cause it to fail the NCT. I was also told you can't get points/fine/towed etc without an NCT so I just didn't bother.

I guess I'm reaping the benefits of that choise now :)

overdriver wrote:
    Happened to the girlfriend's car two months ago. 200 quid seems about right. You should try get it into 2nd gear, as it'll take off in 2nd, but drive at a high enough speed to the garage.

LOL the chance to drive at a reasonable speed in Cork City suburbs would be nice!

200 just for parts right? Plus approx 300 for labour?

Is it usual for mechanics to do some cash-in-hand jobs / nixers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

No, I think I paid 200 quid all-in. No more than 300.

If you knew a guy who was handy, he could do it in his spare time, why not? Its only the bearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

Ya i reckon i'd quote E180 to do the job, labour.
    you've gotta think clutch kit, gear oil, about two litres too.

Well if any knows someone Cork City based who might be interested in a mutually beneficial arrangement PM me :)

Appreciate the help, this is not my strong point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Kazbah wrote:
    Well if any knows someone Cork City based who might be interested in a mutually beneficial arrangement PM me :)

Appreciate the help, this is not my strong point!

i ahve a similar problem so what the said and PM me too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

if you can get some one to do the job why not use a 2nd hand part, you do not need gear oil,

Advertisement