Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best tool to rebuild partition ? (f/cf/sf)disk

• 15-02-2007 11:18pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

XP disk manager chewed up an extended partition on me :(

so anyway I now need to setup /dev/hda6 in an extended partition from 2476 to 5099 cylinders

most of the tools use MB instead of cylinders - how do I tell them to use full cylinders only

can I use gparted / qtparted - or will it format the new volume ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

Testdisk might be useful here in helping out.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDiskhttp://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I think that the only difference between sfdisk and fdisk is that sfdisk is completely driven from the command line, whereas fdisk is interactive.

I would use fdisk to recreate the partitions, since I find it easier to be able to view what way the table is going look before letting it be written.

gparted and qtparted are fine, they won't try and reformat the drive unless you ask them to (frontends to parted), but I think that they only work with size so it can be a little hard to determine if the partition is aligned with the cylinders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

I remember the partition program that came with YaST in SuSE 8.1 did it by cylinder. I don't know if that same tool would be on an OpenSuSE livecd though. Might be worth a try though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

fdisk that comes with most linux distributions gives you the option. put a deleted partition back in place using it. was delighted :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Update.

testdisk ftw
    it beat a lot of "try before you buy" windows muck

one partition recovered :)

one more to go, :(
    testpart can see files on the partition but I get superblock error when try to mount it.

( XP just has a hissy fit on the partition and demands that I run a disk check on it but that would probably just trash it totally. I'll be running a chkdsk later to generate a list of files )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Update.

testdisk ftw
    it beat a lot of "try before you buy" windows muck

one partition recovered :)

one more to go, :(
    testpart can see files on the partition but I get superblock error when try to mount it.

( XP just has a hissy fit on the partition and demands that I run a disk check on it but that would probably just trash it totally. I'll be running a chkdsk later to generate a list of files )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Ah, is it the partition that is damaged or the partition table? there's a program called rstudio, I don't think it's free *cough, but it's very good. doesn't fix the partition be will allow you to copy files off the damaged partition onto another harddrive/partition. can find files almost regardless of how buggered the partition is.

Advertisement