Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Cornell leaves audioslave

• 15-02-2007 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭

i kinda knew it was bound to happen, in fairness it was good while it lasted, 3 great albums and 2 great gigs, im just happy it happened, his new album is out May 1st, im still not sure what i think with regards to rage etc, i still feel they have had their time etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Must be something in the water with singers leaving
    THE CULT vocalist IAN ASTBURY has officially moved on from working with Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger of THE DOORS. The band, performing under the moniker RIDERS ON THE STORM, has toured the world extensively over the past four years, and had just completed a sold-out 13-date tour of Europe. Astbury, who is now fully engaged in re-launching The Cult alongside guitarist Billy Duffy, has decided it was time to close that chapter of his musical career.

"I have decided to move on and focus on my own music and legacy. I have enjoyed performing and sharing the stage with Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger immensely. I have learned a great deal from the both of them, and it certainly has expanded my abilities as a performer. This has been a difficult decision to make but I feel I would be holding them back as well as myself if I did not depart at this time. Great love and respect to all the fans. Thank you for everything you have shared with me...."

There is no word at press time on his possible replacement; however, Riders On The Storm manager Tom Vitorino stated that the band will continue to perform, and is currently considering a very short list of vocalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Bring Back The Muthafockin Rage!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

him leaving audioslave is good because it free's up two sets of musicians to go off and do what they need to do. audioslave was decent, had stunning artists, but felt like it was holding them all back. the ratm boys were trying to be an old man rock band, while chris' voice was being forced into not being as great as it should.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Audioslave were a big disappointment for me. On paper, it looked as though they were going to take over the universe, in reality it was definitely less than the sum of it's parts.

I'd wish all concerned the best and pray to whatever gods will listen that Coachella goes very well and Rage get back together permanently :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Agree there Khan apart from a few decent songs Audioslave really failed to deliver big time IMO. Soundgarden were a great band but Cornell without them was never at his best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I liked the first album, the other two did nothing for me at all.
    They ran their course as far as i'm concerned.
    Heres hoping for total reunion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Yay, Chris Cornell solo album in May, hopefully followed by a tour.
    I agree Audioslave were better parting ways.
    Maybe RATM will reform after playing at Coachella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Like Audioslave but hoping that this will help Rage decide to reform for good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

Rage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Tom Morello has confirmed that rage aren't getting back together :( apparantly he is starting a solo project called The Nightwatchman.

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/56631.html
    Morello, 42, will reunite with his bandmates in Rage Against the Machine for this year's Coachella Valley Arts and Music Festival, which runs April 27-29. But he is insistent that the gig is a one-shot deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

yea... just like he confirmed that Audioslave weren't splitting up ;)
    We'll have to wait til after coachella to find out anyway, I would imagine.

and Tom's been doing solo stuff for years now. it's nothing new

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Vastly overrated band, glad they're gone, more chance of a Soundgarden reunion!

Ya just need Kim Thayil....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

I only really like the first album tbh so its no big deal. Never got to see 'em live tho :(

Rage will reform if enough money is thrown at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Vastly overrated band, glad they're gone, more chance of a Soundgarden reunion!

Ya just need Kim Thayil....................

I hope they don't get back together. If they do they'll probably just release material that sounds like the last album, which IMO isn't too good a thing. I do miss Kim's guitar playing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

That sucks ass. The Rage fan in me is still hoping for a reunion, but aaagh. I'd like to have both. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

must say loved h first audioslave album, the other 2 were a crock of ****e to me. still though im not really looking forward to a rage reunion either incase they bring out some pile of crap album and then there music will be tainted forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Sad for slave fans, im just glad I managed to see them once. It was all I needed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

yeah audioslave did one good album then two poor follow ups. got to see them after the first album so i think i seen them at theyre peak. would love to see ratm and soundgarden reform, but as stated above id hope they could both maintain they're standards

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Big Soundgarden fan, not so much of RATM, but had high hopes for Audioslave... unfortunately they ended up with RATM-type music and lyrics written for Soundgarden-type melodies, and it rarely worked...
    Across their 3 releases I'd say they had 1 decent album, and even some of their better songs probably could do with some musical rearrangement (take Like A Stone, decent album track, far better version at the end of Out Of Exile, even though Cornell fúcks up a little).

Really liked Euphoria Morning and can't wait for his next album - fingers crossed for a solo tour - the highlight of the Audioslave gig in the point (for me) was the small solo bit he did!

• Advertisement

flogen wrote:
    the highlight of the Audioslave gig in the point (for me) was the small solo bit he did!

the highlight for me were them singing white riot and 7 nation army!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Quietguy018

Rage

Audioslave were good but are no rage

Where can i get some of Tom's solo stuff

its out mid march me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Cousin it

The same friend who told me Audioslave had split up and thta rae were playing at coachella has told me they have confirmed several more dates supporting the Wu Tang clan in the states. Will get the source off him asap but sounds very promising if it turns out to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭pig on the wing

the correct title of this thread is 'audioslave disbands'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

The title seemed apt to me!
    The following is from Cornells blog

Los Angeles (February 15, 2007) – Two-time Grammy winner, singer-songwriter and voice of a generation, Chris Cornell, announced today the release date of his 13th career album, Carry On, in stores May 1st on Suretone/Interscope. Steered by Grammy Award-winning British super-producer Steve Lillywhite (U2, Rolling Stones, Morrissey, Dave Matthews Band), Carry On is a mature and content departure from the acrimonious artist who brought us Soundgarden, Audioslave and Temple of the Dog.

Additionally Cornell is permanently departing super-group Audioslave stating, "Due to irresolvable personality conflicts as well as musical differences, I am permanently leaving the band Audioslave. I wish the other three members nothing but the best in all of their future endeavors."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Wasn't ever a big fan of Cornell's style of music. I was excited about Euphoria Morning, but the muted acoustic vibe on that album really just left me cold. And with audioslave, it just never really worked. There were a few gems, the band was always great, and Cornell has the chops, but they just didn't gel together. Desperate for a RAGE reunion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

I know They're doing Rage or doing a gig or somthing together.. maybe this could be the start of something again?? Maybe even just a tour!!! I wanna see rage in concert!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Quietguy018

Tom Morello is releasing his own album under his alias the nightwatchman on April 24th cant wait, he s kinda similar to johnny cash but with the passion of RAGE. This guy is a legend forget about Cornell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

RATM are doing the Coachella festival
    and 3 dates with Wu Tang Clan....

And apparantly that's all.

Advertisement