Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFH, 2 manifolds on one mixing circuit?

• 15-02-2007 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I’m installing underfloor heating upstairs and downstairs. The boiler is upstairs near the upstairs manifold, the downstairs manifold is downstairs (approx 5 metre pipe run from the upstairs manifold).

Rather than installing two separate mixing circuits I’m thinking of installing 1, as this will save me a pump, mixing valve etc. as well as simplifying things (see picture).

I realise I might need to balance the flows to the upstairs and downstairs manifolds, but can anybody tell me if there might be any difficulties given these pipe sizes (with flow rates, etc)? Specifics are on the attachment.

Any input appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

One thing to make sure of is to fit an alpha pump http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/alpha_pump.htm which will adjust itself to the flow required.

I've not done it but most specs you see for underfloor show seperate pumps for each circuit and I presume it's because standard flow pumps can't handle the variations in flow required for underfloor and burn out quickly.

I don't know what controls you are looking at but www.heatmiser.co.uk have nice programmable stats which together with their wiring box makes underfloor very easy for the diyer. The whole package is not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ewan

Lads, is there any good sites or literature where i can find out all about underfloor heating....everything from loops, pumps etc.. to insulation....

Advertisement