Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance

Options
  • 15-02-2007 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Had a call from my car insurer today asking if my house insurance was up soon and that they could make a saving for me by going with them! Bloody typical! So here I go....

There is a heap load of two bed townhouses in Charlesland and I understand the Wood and the Court require their own buildings insurance for the houses as they are masonry built rather than the timber frames as with the Grove and the Park which require block insurance (AFAIK).

So, as a general question to put out there: what are people being quoted/paying for buildings and contents insurance for the two bedroom townhouses?

Maybe we could all save a few quid here.

Thanks, Astro.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

I live in the Grove so only pay for content insurance. I went through a broker and the best deal I got was with Royal Sun Alliance for €130 for the year and that covers up to €27,000 worth of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Well, I'm in a 2 bed in The Wood and I have buliding and Contents insurance. I scouted around to get the best deal and went with FBD. Our Insurance is €360 per annum. As I said, that is taking into account rebuliding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 quag

Starting to feel pretty stupid having read some of these threads. Im in a 2 bed townhouse in the Park. I have home & contents insurance and we just renewed. Am I to take it that the management fee covers home insurance minus contents and I don't actually need the level of cover I have?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

quag wrote:
    Starting to feel pretty stupid having read some of these threads. Im in a 2 bed townhouse in the Park. I have home & contents insurance and we just renewed. Am I to take it that the management fee covers home insurance minus contents and I don't actually need the level of cover I have?
    Thanks

Yep. You can cancel your home insurance and only take content insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

I think you will find buildings cover is only included in the block insurance paid by apartment & duplex owners, that is why our management company fee is considerably higher than for the townhouses & semi-d's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

I got contents insurance for 50k and accidental cover for 12 per month - AIB Home Insurance. I shopped around for the cheapest etc and they all seem to be around this price.

When I was shopping around I believe the standard is 25k but rem all the costs that need to covered! If you had to replace everything in the house I believe 25k wouldnt cover it! just think of replacing all your furniture, flooring, computers, tv's, clothes (x2 for a couple) personal belongings (x 2 for a couple) etc it would be hard to replace everything for 25k! and if your like me and have an imelda marcus shoe collection get higher cover!

Rem to advise them if you have an alarm as it should reduce the cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

markest wrote:
    I think you will find buildings cover is only included in the block insurance paid by apartment & duplex owners, that is why our management company fee is considerably higher than for the townhouses & semi-d's.

Sorry Markest you are incorrect. The houses in the grove and park are covered by building insurance through our management company fees which should have made known to the buyer by their solicitor when signing for the house so they dont double insure themselves, but we do have to insure our contents seperately.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sso

I also feel a bit silly as I have being paying house insurance in a 2-bed in Charlesland Park. I called to change to contents only and they refunded me the difference which was very great. (Allianz direct). However they told me that I would only be covered for public liability if someone was injured by the contents - not the buildings. Does anyone know anything about it? I'm totally confused.

Thanks.

Advertisement