Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clip Pedals & proper shoes - they worth it?

Options
  • 15-02-2007 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi All - appreciate any guidance on this. Am a commuter, cycle approx 16 miles a day roundtrip.

Have just bought a new hybrid and a few people have suggested getting the clip pedals and some proper shoes also. Mates reckon it makes a major distance to your cycling speed / performance?

Does it really make a major difference and are there any suggestions within a reasonable price range?

My hybrid is a Trek 7.3 and am happy with it. Thanks in advance for any comments / suggestions.

Cheers.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Yeah they can make it much more comfortable BUT if you are going through lots of traffic lights it can be a bit irritating as platforms really are more simple, but there is indeed a difference in speed, especially when you get sued to pedalling on the "upstroke" (!) if that is what it is called.

Now, I only have them on my road bike, but spinning is much easier. I think they are Look Classics, were aroudn €60 or so. You can get "hybrid" shoes that you can walk around on like trainers/Nikes, but have clip parts in the sole, or you can get dedicated ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I'd get spds for commuting as you can walk in the shoes.
    I'd recommend them for that distance, faster acceleration, great for uphills, and for spinning on the flat.
    After falling off a few times :-), you'll get used too them, so clipping/unclipping is quite quick. I always try a trackstand these days.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

For commuting a single sided clipless pedal like the Shimano M324 is ideal. You can use the flat side with normal shoes for shorter journeys when you can't be bothered wearing your cycling shoes. People tend to go on about falling off with clipless pedals but it's not inevitable - it's very easy to unclip and becomes an automatic action.

PDM324.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Morgan wrote:
    For commuting a single sided clipless pedal like the Shimano M324 is ideal. You can use the flat side with normal shoes for shorter journeys when you can't be bothered wearing your cycling shoes. People tend to go on about falling off with clipless pedals but it's not inevitable - it's very easy to unclip and becomes an automatic action.
    My Specialized Rockhopper came with double sided SPD pedals. They includes an attachment to make one side flat.
    I eventually went and bought a pair of Specialized Sport Mtn shoes. Walking in them is not a problem. They've been brilliant.
    I only fell off once, when I got home after a test ride and unclipped the wrong foot. I don't have a problem when in traffic - you can pedal a bit while unclipped.
    I have Look Keo cleats on my road bike.
    I wouldn't go back to flat pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Another vote for spd clippy-style pedals and shoes with cleats. They've made the ride more enjoyable, quicker and more efficient.

My knee is suffering a bit, I think I need to fine-tune the bike's setup to the pedal position. This is because your foot is always joining the pedal at the same point, so if your setup isn't right then problems will soon become apparent - but being able to spot these problems is just another plus for the pedals if you ask me.

Another vote for Specialized MTB shoes also. They're ok for walking around in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I have the same one's as morgan. They are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I give the double sided pedals a vote. I used to have these on my road bike...
    M520
    very easy to clip in and out and you can use shoes with a recessed cleat.

Mind you, I have KEO sprints on the roadbike now because I like to go for long spins at the weekend.

If I had a second road bike, I would leave the M520 on my commuting bike permanently.

I've never fallen off while clipped in. However, I have managed to get the shoe stuck to the pedal because one of the screws in the cleat came loose and I couldn't unclip. Thankfully it jut happened on one shoe. So make sure that you always keep the cleats properly screwed into your shoe (without over tightening)

P

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i have the double sided spds that you can clip a platform onto on my mtn bike, just moved from look to speedplay on my roadbike and they are great although hard to walk in..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Where is a good place to get SPD shoes?
    I have a pair but I reckon they are too narrow, I get awful foot cramps/pain after 5 mins of cycling....only way to relive it is to unclip and start using different parts of my foot/pedal..
    bit of a pain in the arse during a 12km commute...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cycle superstore out in tallaght or cycleways in parnell street have a good level of stock, decent webistes too.
    if you buy in cycle superstore join their loyalty sheme before u do and get 10% off.

• Advertisement

daveym wrote:
    if you buy in cycle superstore join their loyalty scheme before u do and get 10% off.
    Seconded.
    According to the web site, you get between 3 and 12% discounts. You can complete the application form on that page.
    When you log into the website with your loyalty scheme details, you will see the discount prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭solid 5

Thanks for all the feedback - most seem to recommend one for or anotehrof clip pedal for the lowly commuter !!

Many thanks all - I will be looking into shoes & pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I got a pair of Specialized Sonomas from BikePlus. Second pair after my old ones wore out. Very happy with them, perfect for commuting and don't look overly like cycling shoes. Besides the reduction (£34.95 is very good for these shoes, they are around €90 in Dublin) BikePlus do a very good pedal deal with the shoes, £10 or £17 depending on the pedals you want. Even if they don't have these shoes in your size I'd look around the website to see if there is anything else as the pedal deal is very good (pedals normally around the €50 mark here.)

Shimano in particular have a range of decent looking low-priced commuting SPD shoes.

Baskets over £50 get delivered free to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got one side spd on a MTB I am not thinking of getting the shoes so I can be clipped on the cyclelanes and unclipped on the flat side when in heavy traffic.

www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk have some good deals. I would prefer breathable waterproof ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I just applied for the discount on cycle superstore and they give the exact same prices???

Bluefoam wrote:
    I just applied for the discount on cycle superstore and they give the exact same prices???
    Did they know about your application?
    What item did you go to buy? (I can log into http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/ and tell you what the loyalty price is.

Advertisement