Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon XP 2100+ quiet fan?

Options
  • 16-02-2007 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Just put my old 2100+ into a multimedia centre build now that i have my new systems set up.
    The fan on my cpu cooler was very loud so i put on some coolermaster cheap thing. After a few mins i got a temp warning :D
    The 2100 is a stupidly hot cpu.
    So is there i nice cheap "Quiet" cpu heatsink/fan i can get to keep this thing cool?
    Let me rephrase that... has anyone used this cpu with a quiet fan that could keep it cool? Something cheap.. maybe that can be picked up locally in a PC world brown box or something.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Its very hard to find a cood socket 462(A) cooler these days. but this will be your best bet. Silent and cand handle moe het then that cpu will throw out.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=377055

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Zalmans 7000 series coolers are still compatible with SocketA, best you can get really. Just turn the dial down to the slowest speed and it will be very quiet in operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thanks guys. I had looked at the Zalmans, was just hoping for a nice cheap one i can get here without having to order and pay shipping.
    Guess i will just have to wait and order.
    Thanks for the replies.

One last question. The stock core2 duo 6600 HSF. Does anyone know could i put that on the Athlon and put the Zalman on my 6600?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Ack. Just flogged a Zalman that would've suited. PC World have the zalman 8000's for €45. PEATS have the 7000's. Recommend the 7000's. With the fan all the way down you wouldn't know it was there.

Don't think you'd get the intel hsf to install on the Athlon without some serious bodging. Totally different mount system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Saruman wrote:
    Thanks guys. I had looked at the Zalmans, was just hoping for a nice cheap one i can get here without having to order and pay shipping.
    Guess i will just have to wait and order.
    Thanks for the replies.

One last question. The stock core2 duo 6600 HSF. Does anyone know could i put that on the Athlon and put the Zalman on my 6600?

No they are not cpmpatible, unless you wanna use a asshat loa of scews and cable ties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Grand thanks. Saves me having to give it a go. The stock 6600 seems be grand right now but in the future when i overclock it i might need something better.

Advertisement