Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forensic psych at UCC

• 16-02-2007 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi everyone, just discovered this board:)

At the moment I'm doing a graduate diploma in London, after doing psychology through Arts. I really want to become a forensic psychologist. I'd like to go back to Ireland to study for it, but the only course is in UCC and it's not accredited yet. My question is, if I did this course, would it be worth the paper its written on? Especially since I don't think there are that many employment opportunities in Ireland for a forensic psychologist, so I'd more than likely end up looking for work in the UK...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 POLO9N

HI, do u know exactly what kind of jobs u can get into?
    HOW ABOUT JOB in the police squad?

hey can you explain more about Psycology, how many different area that it dividied in in a degree? and what relevence do they have in relation to job wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

CSI !

Get a job as grissoms sidekick......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I don't think many forensic psychologists end up in white overalls sifting though the contents of a hoover bag...... :D
    More likely to work with offenders as far as I know.
    Have you checked with PSI to see if the course is currently undergoing the accreditation process? UCCs psychology courses are I think generally well-regarded.
    Also all areas of psychology are in a growth phase at the moment in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

POLO9N wrote:
    HI, do u know exactly what kind of jobs u can get into?
    HOW ABOUT JOB in the police squad?

hey can you explain more about Psycology, how many different area that it dividied in in a degree? and what relevence do they have in relation to job wise?

Polo, have a look at www.psihq.ie or the website of the BPS for info on different careers in psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 adastra

I don't think many forensic psychologists end up in white overalls sifting though the contents of a hoover bag...... :D
    More likely to work with offenders as far as I know.
    Have you checked with PSI to see if the course is currently undergoing the accreditation process? UCCs psychology courses are I think generally well-regarded.
    Also all areas of psychology are in a growth phase at the moment in Ireland.

On the UCC site it says they will 'seek accreditation as soon as it becomes feasable to do so'. I read on the PSI site that the reason there are no accredited forensic psychology courses in Ireland at the moment is because there aren't enough qualified psychologists to help with training placements etc. Seems like a bit of a vicious circle to me.... Hopefully it'll be accredited in the next couple of years, but that doesn't really help me, since I wanted to start it in September! There's no such thing as back-dating accreditation, is there?:) *wishful thinking*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

As far as I'm aware it's not your qualification that gets accredited, it's the course itself - so if it became accredited after you'd completed it then you would have completed an accredited course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

I'm open to correction but I don't think this is the case p.pete. The accreditation process will determine a course to be accredited from a particular date. If you graduate from a non-accredited course which subsequently becomes accredited, your degree will not be retrospectively verified as coming from an accredited course. This makes sense if you look at it like this: you could have a course which is poorly constructed, badly taught and falls far short of the requirements for professional practice. This would not meet the strict accreditation criteria of the PSI. However, the course could make the necessary changes, upgrade in all departments, apply for accreditation and succeed in getting it. This however would be based on the structure and content of the upgraded course and would not validate the poor content of the previous structure of the course (long-winded but do you get what I mean?). NUIG recently failed their accreditation process for its Doctoral Clinical Programme. The people (the very first graduates) who had graduated from the course have had to be recalled and will not be seen as qualified until the course gains its accreditation (which will hopefully be soon). Now this is a special case as the course is given a certain amount of time to look for and gain accreditation and has that understanding with the PSI. This is, in some sense, a retrospective accreditation, but the people are still essentially on the course until that accreditation is achieved.

Myksyk wrote:
    I'm open to correction but I don't think this is the case p.pete.
    Me too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 b21

Accredited course means that. If your secondary school, after you leave, becomes a university, you are not a uni grad. You get what is says on the course when you do it, but any salesperson will tell you a two-owner car is only really one because the first owner was a little-old lady who only drove it to mass on Sunday. You have a brain, use it. You will need it for forensics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

b21 wrote: »
    You have a brain, use it. You will need it for forensics.

You probably don't need to be a forensic psychologist to spot that this thread is over a year old! :D

• Advertisement

I think I'll hold off moving the thread to the humour forum Gibs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

p.pete wrote: »
    I think I'll hold off moving the thread to the humour forum Gibs ;)

Yeah, Yeah. I know. :rolleyes:

it was late on Sunday night....best I could come up with at the time :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

b21 wrote: »
    Accredited course means that. If your secondary school, after you leave, becomes a university, you are not a uni grad. You get what is says on the course when you do it, but any salesperson will tell you a two-owner car is only really one because the first owner was a little-old lady who only drove it to mass on Sunday. You have a brain, use it. You will need it for forensics.

That's not true. If the course content has stayed the same since you graduated, then your degree is accredited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 b21

eth0_ wrote: »
    That's not true. If the course content has stayed the same since you graduated, then your degree is accredited.

OK, den. Linda and Paddy were living together for 25 years before they married. They broke up then after 1 minute, and Linda says they were married for 25 years because the house content never changed. Paddy, although somewhat dimwitted, recognizes that the official certificate says they were married for 1 minute, but Linda vehemently argues, and argues, that because the content was the same it was a marriage, all the time, it's accreditted. The judge, having attended playschool, is not finding it easy to side with Linda. Unfortunately for Paddy, he went to other schools, and law school. He remembers from philosophy Socrates drank hemlock, the sentence of the court, because he made sense and nobody really likes that. Most importantly, he does not like hemlock, and is now siding with Linda. He also remembers the rich and powerful trying to help Socrates to escape Greece, because, well, he didn't actually do anything..except ask questions. The judge, besides disliking poison, hates travel and wants to live in Ireland. Thinking about poison and travel he drops the gavel in Lindas favour. When he becomes a somewhat unpopular judge, he blames marriage, and it is a "nebulous" institution. Now aware the death penalty for a judge was not an issue, he is intensely regretful, and thinks about playschool continuously.

People lie on resumes all the time, and if I spot someone declaring an accredited qualification, when the course, at the time wasn't, it will not reflect favourably, and I won't trust their character, or judgement. Alternatively, if they mention the course, and not accredation, it is positive.

If you like to change history, become a politician, forget forensics.

If you think a "forensics" thread is "dead" after a year and then post, about the thread being old, and laugh, there may be a dolt issue. Not very forensic.:eek:

Advertisement