Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal CC, Affordable Housing & Solicitors

Options
  • 16-02-2007 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,
    I am currently getting final loan approval for affordable housing from Fingal County Council.
    As part of this process, FCC have told me they a ‘free’ solicitor available for successful applicants for the affordable housing scheme (i.e. the solicitors fees are inclusive in the sale price). I have a few queries on this:

Do any of you have any experience of using FCC’s solicitor?
    What are the pitfalls of using a Council-appointed solicitor instead of an independent one?
    Are the benefits of appointing an independent solicitor worth the extra €2,000 + that I’d probably have to spend??

I’m finding it tricky enough trying to cobble together a decent sized deposit, so I’d be delighted to save a few grand on legal fees. On the other hand, would somebody like myself – who knows next to nothing about the legal aspect of the property market – be better off getting the services of a 3rd party??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Charlies Angel

Hi there, I would have no problem using Fingals solicitor - at least thats what I am going to do (should be in a few weeks time!) I know some people who have gone that route before and had no probs. I kinda feel theres not as much risk of something going wrong through a local authority scheme as there would a private sale. I know people will tell you horror stories, but to be honest, Like you I could do with keeping that money for something else!
    What stage are you at now? have you been offered and snagged a property?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I used theirs and there was no problem when getting my place. They're aren't trying to hide anything from you so you've nothing to worry about. They have to inform you of all the little things that you would probably not be happy with had they not told you before you signed.

Advertisement