Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to UCD

Options
  • 16-02-2007 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Does anyone else here commute to UCD? I get the train from North Co. Dublin. It's pretty rough, I could tell you stories; people fainting, getting sick, love affairs, evil train men who want to take over Irish Rail, trains tilting at at least a 30 degree angle. It's a battlefield every morning, and then there's always the journey home...

What's the farthest place people commute to UCD from and how long does it take? I'm travelling a good three to four hours easily a day commuting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I get the ol' 17 bus from Rathfarnham takes me about forty five minutes.However that doesn't count the time waiting for the bus which is usually under twenty five minutes as I rarely check the timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

That's mental. It'd take me less time to come from Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Chakar wrote:
    I get the ol' 17 bus from Rathfarnham takes me about forty five minutes.However that doesn't count the time waiting for the bus which is usually under twenty five minutes as I rarely check the timetables.
    I hate that bus sometimes, especially if I have to be in for a 9 O'clock lecture. All those annoying girls from that Irish school,with the green uniform:mad:

Takes me between 40min and 2 hours each way depending on the time of day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

I get a direct bus from Ashbourne in tha royal county every morning and it gets me over in about an hour, give or take 10 minutes, pretty much every morning. I thought i had it bad but people living in dublin take longer to get here!! And to think i was gonna move out and leave mammy's dinners and clean clothes:D haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I have a friend who commutes from Athy.

The 17 bus just breaks your heart. The timetable and when it actually comes are two different things. And then sometimes it doesn't come at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i used to get the dart from malahide and used to take about an hour and 20 minutes. now i drive, still takes awhile but way better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

We know each other, Font22.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Pythia wrote:
    I have a friend who commutes from Athy.
    Athy is about 15 mins on the train from where I live so I really feel for them, I lasted a whole 3 weeks as a commuter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

i commute from drogheda

its not that bad, never seen anyone faint, get sick, and the trains never tilt that[/it] much

about the same 3 and a half to 4 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I hate that bus sometimes, especially if I have to be in for a 9 O'clock lecture. All those annoying girls from that Irish school,with the green uniform:mad:

Takes me between 40min and 2 hours each way depending on the time of day...

I hate those girls.You would think they would be fricking quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Garret wrote:
    i commute from drogheda

its not that bad, never seen anyone faint, get sick, and the trains never tilt that[/it] much

about the same 3 and a half to 4 hours

Yeah, I've met a few who commute from Dundalk. Sheer Madness.

I'm one of those awful awful people who live at home and can still walk from my door to the Newman in about 40 minutes.

jimi_t wrote:

I'm one of those awful awful people who live at home and can still walk from my door to the Newman in about 40 minutes.

So am I. I still moved out to beside Roebuck Castle now.

Pythia wrote:
    So am I. I still moved out to beside Roebuck Castle now.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

jimi_t wrote:

Ditto, cept it takes about 10 minutes for me :eek:

jimi_t wrote:
    Why?

Freedom, to grow up and to live with my best friend.
    I got the chance, so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

jimi_t wrote:

I'm like that, only divided by eight. My house is nearer to the Health Sci building than most Res...

/prepares to have things thrown at self

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

dajaffa wrote:
    I'm like that, only divided by eight. My house is nearer to the Health Sci building than most Res...

/prepares to have things thrown at self
    dajaffa, there's no way you can walk to Newman from yours in five minutes. Try ten. :p

Google Earth says I live 1,109 miles from Newman, and by road/car/sea it'd take 23 hours and 55 minutes to drive.

Pythia wrote:
    Freedom, to grow up and to live with my best friend.
    I got the chance, so why not?

Nice if you have the money I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

When I was commuting last semester I'd spend about 3 hours travelling each day. I live in Brittas Bay in Wicklow. I went to my doctor because I was bugging out like crazy and he said it was the stress of commuting.. that and Gilberts Syndrome.

This semester I'm on campus in Sydney - it's hella sweet. 5-10 minute walk to class, 5-10 minute walk to beer-place and 2 minute walk to the nearest barbie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to travel to UCD from my door. I don't head in until after 9 because I've given up on that kind of commuting, and I leave UCD every day after 6 o clock so I have avoided all that traffic jazz for years now. My journey is the 10/46A or whatever to O'Connell Street and then the Red Line Mayhem Luas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

That 6 minute drive in really kills me :p (I'm trying to bring my carbon emissions up to the average Irish persons).
    Seriously though, living close to where you work/study is a blessing, long distance commuters have my sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I live in Arklow and it only takes an hour, for me it reading/study time, on the whole its not too bad, except maybe waiting for buses which are mostly late around 20-30 minutes, but its not too bad compared to some stories here, having said that my timetable is better this year, I hate getting the evening bus home as it is a scramble for the seats, so for me this year no complaints so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

dajaffa, there's no way you can walk to Newman from yours in five minutes. Try ten. :p

Ah but my main axis of UCd-dom is the Health Science/Student centre combo which is doable in five, when listening to fast tunes anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

we do spectator? who are you? ohhhhhh the mystery!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Font and Spectator: don't even think about having that conversation on this forum. If you want to get to know each other better, take it to PM. Do not post it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

Nah it's cool hulla, I've already pm'd font22. Turns out we were a donkey in a previous life. She was the ass, I was the head.

Why can't we, incidentally? If you don't mind me asking? Is it something to do with privacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its do with with the fact it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE THREAD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

dajaffa wrote:
    Ah but my main axis of UCd-dom is the Health Science/Student centre combo which is doable in five, when listening to fast tunes anyway.
    Ha!

I like to save up all my business in the student centre so I only have to go once a week (at most).

Id never take the 11 to UCD anymore, its about a 20min walk to glenomena from the clonskeagh bank.

Its funny when you get into a routine what you begin to consider as out of the way. UCD is really ****ing big

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I live a 40 min walk away from UCC
    I now live a 15 min walk plus 15 min bus ride to UCD.
    I won't complain
    But I could be in Cork

And seeing as its a 10 min walk down to the student centre from Eng, I am rarely there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I bus in from the north side. It takes anything from an hour and a half (morning rus hour if I miss the express bus) to fourty minutes (making excellent time after 7pm, having the bus from town being right there when I get to Eden Quey).

Advertisement