Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to UCD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

This year Im in glenomena and cant complain

But when I was in Drimnagh

Option 1
    17 Bus, 2hrs + in rush hour, 40mins last bus (literally no cars on road)
    Option 2
    Bus into town and back out
    50mins regardless of traffic
    Option 3 Preferred option
    Cycle: 25 - 35 mins depending on energy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I get the 27x from Coolock. Usually takes an hour and a half to 2 hours depending on Malahide Road traffic.
    UCD -> Coolock in the afternoons is about an hour.
    Doesn't bother me really. I'm just used to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Travel from Lucan, Co. Dublin. Takes me between an hour and a half to two hours to get to UCD from my gaff. Variable times due to traffic and irregularity of bus service.
    25 bus into town, then 10/46A/145 out to belfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Travel from my gaff in my car. Its so tedious.

Get up at 7am
    Get in car
    Put heating on
    Go to garage get fags , coffee and breakfast.
    Sit in traffic listening to morning news and belfieldfm
    Eat breakfast, smoking and drinking coffee
    Finish food and read metro/heraldam
    Get to college around 7:30am and get best parking

The best days are raniy ones when im all tuckered up in the car.

Yes im a total cnut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

If the times (and bus stop location) suit, the 25x goes straight to Belfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

Sangre wrote:
    Its do with with the fact it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE THREAD

OK THANK YOU!

Somebody above said that they hadn't ever seen someone faint or get sick on the trains on the way up. You've been one of the lucky ones my friend. I presume because you're coming from Drogheda you get to use that absolute ride of a train the Enterprise. That train ispired Gene Roddenberry, that's how great it is. First warp engine in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

OK THANK YOU!

Somebody above said that they hadn't ever seen someone faint or get sick on the trains on the way up. You've been one of the lucky ones my friend. I presume because you're coming from Drogheda you get to use that absolute ride of a train the Enterprise. That train ispired Gene Roddenberry, that's how great it is. First warp engine in Ireland.

this semester i get the enterprise in the morning yes, but on the way back, i get the normal commuter trains as the timetables dont suit

it is a lovely train, if you can get a seat, it really isnt suited to standing what with its lack of anything to hold onto, but fortunately i'v memorized where the doors stop, if the train driver stops where he should, oh yeah im that cool:cool:, you also have to contend with the fact that it is on time about once a week

last semester it was pretty much the normal commuters, and I never saw anyone collapse/vomit

worst part of commuting from drogheda is that if the train goes to dundalk you really have to stay awake, experience talking right here, dundalk train station at midnight= uncool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

for anyone getting the 17, I recommend you cycle...I'm in Terenure, takes 15 mins in in the morning and about 25 mins home (tired and uphill).

I got the 17 for the first month of first year, had to get the 7.45am bus to get in for a 9am lecture, which is everyday for an engineer, such a biatch! I decided to cycle and now I leave around 8.40 or 8.45am. w00t! hurrah for cycling, cheap and efficient :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭GusherING

My family home is a ten minute walk from UCD which is dead handy. 3 minute drive also, but why would I bother cos the parking is **** and it just costs petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

30mins cycle in 20min cycle back. Quicker than the 46a but a good 10-20mins depending on time of day.
    The uphill cycle is a real bastid tho :( (well not that bad but im lazy)

• Advertisement

Garret wrote:
    this semester i get the enterprise in the morning yes, but on the way back, i get the normal commuter trains as the timetables dont suit

it is a lovely train, if you can get a seat, it really isnt suited to standing what with its lack of anything to hold onto, but fortunately i'v memorized where the doors stop, if the train driver stops where he should, oh yeah im that cool:cool:, you also have to contend with the fact that it is on time about once a week

last semester it was pretty much the normal commuters, and I never saw anyone collapse/vomit

worst part of commuting from drogheda is that if the train goes to dundalk you really have to stay awake, experience talking right here, dundalk train station at midnight= uncool

It's the one's that leave drogheda about seven or half seven are the worst. I've seen fights, and arguments, and people fainting, and people vomiting, and god knows what else on those trains, the half eight especially!

I flipped out at a school kid once on a really crowded train because he kept pushing my mother in the back to show off to all his friends, it was really funny because when I calmed down, the train was really quiet and nobody spoke until he got out in Malahide!

And dundalk has never been kind to me. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

the 17 drives me absolutely mental, and pretty much everyone i know who gets it hates it as well, one of these days someones gonna shoot the bus up outta frustration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I'll put money on somebody flipping at the pupils with the green uniforms telling their stupid stories so loud that even I can hear it.

I always try to stay downstairs in the morning.I find it contributes greatly to my mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Chakar wrote:
    I'll put money on somebody flipping at the pupils with the green uniforms telling their stupid stories so loud that even I can hear it.

They're from Colaiste Iosagain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Chakar wrote:

I always try to stay downstairs in the morning.I find it contributes greatly to my mood.
    Sitting down stairs? Where do you get on? I get on at kimmage which I think is fairly close to the start of the route and its usually pretty full downstairs in the mornings then:( That said, I don't go in for 9am lectures anymore.

Speaking of the 17, was waiting an hour for one around 4:45-5:45 at belfield today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Praise be to the 17. I couldn't be arsed cycling. The 17 isn't THAT bad, even if it has it's noisy children, crazy people and bad service, it has a nice homely atmosphere that everyone knows each other if they get the 17. Although this has never been a conversation starter, I'm sure that somewhere, far away, it is.

I know I won't be in for 9 tomorrow and have come to enjoy it.

Isn't it so much sweeter when things go right with that bus?
    I mean if it was always on time you'd just take it for granted...or maybe not.

Late night talkitiveness :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Everyone please never ever get an X bus in through town during rush hour. I kid you not it took 30 mins for my bus to get from Stephen's Green to Eden Quay this evening :eek:

I get the DART to Sydeny Parade which is usually grand, takes 35 mins or so but it's the 2/3/18 bus services that's the problem. There has been endless occasions where the bus will be behind the barriers when the DART pulls in. Loads of people who get off the DART use the 2/3 or 18 to get to Belfield. That's grand but do you think the bus drivers will wait at the bus stop for even one minute just after the barriers go up while people are getting off the train? No. It was a killer the other day seeing the bus drive off while I was exiting the station and then I had to wait a half hour for the next bus! Arrghh! :mad:

Sitting down stairs? Where do you get on? I get on at kimmage which I think is fairly close to the start of the route and its usually pretty full downstairs in the mornings then:( That said, I don't go in for 9am lectures anymore.

Speaking of the 17, was waiting an hour for one around 4:45-5:45 at belfield today :(

Rathfarnham village actually.You're right it can be full but sometimes you can get lucky.

Chakar wrote:
    Rathfarnham village actually.You're right it can be full but sometimes you can get lucky.

A Rathfarnham castle stop attendee?

18AD wrote:
    A Rathfarnham castle stop attendee?

Yeah thats right, its the nearest stop from my house which isn't very far away.

Were you curious or something?

• Advertisement

Chakar wrote:
    Were you curious or something?

Maybe. It's just that that is my local stop also. It's a beauty.

18AD wrote:
    Maybe. It's just that that is my local stop also. It's a beauty.

A beauty?

Yeah its alright.

strange, that's my stop as well, although i've started using the next one lately, i only liked that one cause it has a bench!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

The letters P and M spring to mind.

That's grand but do you think the bus drivers will wait at the bus stop for even one minute just after the barriers go up while people are getting off the train? No. It was a killer the other day seeing the bus drive off while I was exiting the station and then I had to wait a half hour for the next bus! Arrghh! :mad:

Been there!

18AD wrote:
    Praise be to the 17. I couldn't be arsed cycling. The 17 isn't THAT bad, even if it has it's noisy children, crazy people and bad service, it has a nice homely atmosphere that everyone knows each other if they get the 17. Although this has never been a conversation starter, I'm sure that somewhere, far away, it is.

I know I won't be in for 9 tomorrow and have come to enjoy it.

Isn't it so much sweeter when things go right with that bus?
    I mean if it was always on time you'd just take it for granted...or maybe not.

Late night talkitiveness :rolleyes:
    I forgot all about the crazy people... My god they're loud, I move upstairs if I see them coming on and I'm downstairs:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Good god, how do you people justify spending 90min plus commuting each way to UCD? Do you really learn enough worthwhile things from lectures? I find it hard enough to motivate my self to go in with a 10min commute when I know I'll get more from reading a recommended text for 10min than sitting in 75% of lectures. Its pretty much only for tutorials, getting books from the library or going on lunch with people I bother going in for.

Blut wrote:
    Good god, how do you people justify spending 90min plus commuting each way to UCD? Do you really learn enough worthwhile things from lectures? I find it hard enough to motivate my self to go in with a 10min commute when I know I'll get more from reading a recommended text for 10min than sitting in 75% of lectures. Its pretty much only for tutorials, getting books from the library or going on lunch with people I bother going in for.
    I don't :D I take at least 2 out of 5 days off a week and go home early most of the other days

The letters P and M spring to mind.
    so does S, you easily irritated man. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

18AD wrote:
    The 17 isn't THAT bad, even if it has it's noisy children, crazy people and bad service, it has a nice homely atmosphere that everyone knows each other if they get the 17.
    :D
    I waited at the bus stop in Belfield yesterday for about 45 minutes for that bus to come, and the whole time I was cursing it's very exsistence but when it finally came lurching down the road, just about making it around the corner without collapsing on its side, I couldn't have been happier to see it.

Advertisement