Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't access wireless

• 16-02-2007 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just bought my new laptop today and can't connect to the net. We have broadband in the flat, and have had no problem with wireless connection on my last laptop (well this one). The wireless connection status box thing says that I have "limited or no connectivity" because apparently "the network did not assign a network address to the computer". I went looking online and tried that "ipconfig /release" "ipconfig /renew" thing, but no good. To be honest I haven't a notion, I'm not very computery. Any ideas???

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Whats the model of the wireless modem?
    Sounds like the laptop has a static IP or something like that and the modem dsoes not like it. Set the laptop to dynamic IP I think it is called DHCP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Are there other PC's in the flat which can connect?

Try connecting the Laptop to the router with a network cable.
    If that works ok, enter the router setup and check the wireless and security settings.

Some routers have MAC address filtering (Each network card has a unique MAC address) and the router will only let specified addresses connect. You should be able to change this if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

All the other laptops connect fine to the wireless. I'm connected using my cable now and no bother. It actually says it's connected to wireless, but, well, obviously there's something smelly going on. A friend looked at it and I don't fully remember, but something about how it should be automatically be given an address, and it is, but it's the wrong one and isn't recognising/being recognised? (Hopeless at all this). What's that all about like??

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Ok, I am now in the possession of a blurb describing exactly what the problem is:

The laptop (a HP somethinorother with, IIRC, an internal Intel wifi card) can get a valid DHCP address no probs using a wired ethernet connection. However, killing the ethernet connection and trying to connect with the wifi link will retrieve a completely bogus address (something like 169.216.x.y with a 255.255.0.0 mask... weird). Even setting a valid address statically doesn't work. An older laptop (using a Belkin PCMCIA wifi card) will retrieve a DHCP address fine and works without problems. Doesn't seem likely to be the router so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

What make & Model is the Router?
    Some Routers have MAC Address filtering - basically you have to enter the MAC address of the WIFI Card into the Routers Security menu before it will let you connect.

Also Check the DHCP Server settings in the router - make sure it is enabled and not restriceed to only two addresses or something similar.

Is DHCP enabled in the Network settings for your wireless adapter? You should see separate entries in Network Settings for the LAN Socket and the Wireless connection.

Is it possible to bring your laptop to a local Hotel/McDonalds/school/friends which has free Wi-fi access to see if you can connect there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement