Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help setting up Gmail and WAP on 'Three'

• 16-02-2007 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I have a pre-pay Sony Ericsson K610i from Three, and I'm not having much luck with setting up WAP or Gmail. Does anyone using 'Three' know the settings? Unfortunately, searching the forums for 'three' is useless.... :-/

So far I've tried configuring the email client for Gmail using settings listed here;

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287

I've enabled POP on my gmail account, but on send/receive it just sits there trying to 'find server'. Also, when I try to access WAP sites outside of the ones that Three have pre-programmed into the web menu, I get an 'External Site' error. I think both these problems have something to do with either Three not enabling certain data services on my phone, or me needing to enter WAP settings and connect using a different data profile. Is this normal?

Anyone who's been through this and has any ideas, they'd be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You can't. Three have restricted internet access, you can acccess what they want you to access and Gmail isn't on there. Think they will be lifting the bar when X-Series is launched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I thought it'd be something like that... :rolleyes:

I eventually managed to get my Gmail on the phone. In gmail I set up forwarding to a @3mail.com email address that I had to create which the phone can access. The last thing I really wanted was yet *another* email address. And of course all my outgoing emails will be from 3mail.com... Actually, the outgoing emails appear as coming from the name 'Prepay Unregistered' which is annoying.

Limiting access like this is ridiculous. I am able to take a photo and send it to blogspot from the phone, but when I click on the 'View Blog?' option, I get an 'External site' error!

And there's a WAP site that I created for my business that I really would like to access when I'm on the road - looks like I'll have to bring my old Vodaphone along for that.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

It's a well known fact that three operate a 'walled garden' with regards their internet, unfortunately.

I was just reading about the X-Series that Three are supposed to be launching soon (which chrislad mentioned) http://xseries.three.com/ unlimited flat-rate broadband from your mobile. Sounds great.

Hopefully they'll see sense and take off the bar for us pre-pay customers as well. I mean, can't they see that they'll be making even more money out of us if they let us browse the web properly?

This is so frustrating. This morning I was trying to send a photo via MMS to an email address. Didn't get there. Then I tried to send a video via MMS to the YouTube video uploads email address, that disappeared as well. They didn't explain this part to me in the 3G shop.

I've got this phone that's got all these really nice features, but because of the restrictions imposed by Three I can't get to the websites I need, I can't send MMS multimedia messages to an email address, and I can't even get my Gmail without forwarding it to my Three email account, which has a 10Mb mailbox limit. Pretty useless.

My requirements are simple. Dear Three, please;

- Lift the website bar, let me browse the sites I want to
    - Let me access my Gmail email POP3 using the phones email client
    - Let me send MMS multimedia messages to an email address

And Three will be making even more money out of me if they do this! Can't they see the logic? - Everyone's a winner.

(edit for clarity)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Do international MMS's generally speaking work? I didn't think they did.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Do international MMS's generally speaking work? I didn't think they did.
    I was trying to send an MMS message from my phone to an email address, not to an international number.

Does 3 claim to support that? I've never tried myself, on any network.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Does 3 claim to support that? I've never tried myself, on any network.
    They probably don't claim to support it, since they don't support the other internet functions I mentioned. But technically it's something that can be done. Go to YouTube and check the 'Upload videos directly from your mobile phone' link, it states "Upload videos from your cellphone to YouTube by sending an MMS message to the email address shown below." - And then gives a unique email address to send your video to.

What is crazy is that the phone has all these nice features (the ability to send MMS messages to an email address, built-in web browser, 'view my blog' feature, a pretty good email client) - Which are all rendered useless because Three don't allow them or support them. What I find the most infuriating is Three's misleading advertising. How about;

http://www.three.ie/iexplore/iservices3/mobilewebsites.html
    "Mobile Web Sites - Get fast access to the best Mobile Web Sites. Access mobile web sites, it's easy!..."

Now, when I was in the 3G shop reading that, do you think I interpreted it as;

a) Browse websites using your phone
    or
    b) Browse only the websites we allow you to access

If I'd known about these restrictions in advance, or if the 3G Sales Rep had informed me, or even if I'd been able to read it in the small print of the adverts, then I wouldn't have bought the phone! - It's like buying a car only to discover it only works on certain roads. I had expectations which were created by Three's advertising and the 3G sales rep. These expectations were not met, I feel I was misled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I think tonyj has a point.

• Advertisement

Great, I'll make a note of that.

I was just curious if networks typically support MMS to e-mail. Do they? I know O2 has an e-mail gateway for MMS because i-mode doesn't support MMS but I didn't know there was a universal service for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Even when 3 launch X-series in Ireland, which was originally slated for as early as December but has since been delayed (surprise surprise!), they will only lift the restrictions for X-series subscribers and not prepay customers. At least that's the latest information that I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

that might change though, they might open it up for everyone once X-series is up and running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 mcobrien

Blaster99 wrote:
    I was just curious if networks typically support MMS to e-mail. Do they? I know O2 has an e-mail gateway for MMS because i-mode doesn't support MMS but I didn't know there was a universal service for this.

Vodafone supports this, it's actually part of the MMS specs so you could argue three doesn't support MMS if they don't let you send to email addresses. Not that that would get you very far :)

Advertisement