Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does one get into golf?

• 16-02-2007 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I'm a 23 year old guy, living in Dublin, who has recently graduated from college. I play golf casually, maybe once a month with a couple of mates.

I would however like to get into it more seriously. Does anyone have any advice in this respect? I know I could get private lessons but then after that, I still would be stuck for people to play with on a regular basis(my mates dont want to play more often than every 4-5 weeks).

If anyone has any advice on how to get more seriously into golf, then let me know!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Join a club. Best way really. You will get a GUI handicap and will be eligible to play in your clubs competition's.
    Make sure to ask what comps they run there!

Don't worry. Your mates will follow suit when they see how much your enjoying it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

joining a club is a good idea, in a lot of clubs you'll pick up new friends/playing partners quickly, i'm not saying to replace your current friends you'll just get to know people who'll play with you more often, a good pro or secretary will introduce you to some members if you ask them. and don't be afraid to ask. also playing in the weekly competitions is a great way to meet people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

While I would agree joining a club is definately the best way to play golf it can be a very expensive route to go down (particularly in Dublin). It's also something that only makes sense if you are commited long term to playing at that club (because of joining fees).

Two other alternatives are
    1) Join a club down the country (country membership) and go to "Open's". most clubs will have at least one open a year for a very reasonable fee and you will get matched up with groups if you are on your own
    2) Join a society. Even cheaper although most society won't have more than 9 outings a year. If you combine this with your friends games though you would be playing every couple of weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

As a guy who is just under a year ahead of you I would agree with the lads.

When I saw the title of the post I was going to suggest just getting out and playing par 3 courses first "to break yourself in", but that wouldn't actually get you into the game.

The best thing to do is just jump in and put your name down for club comps, get to know people and enjoy the game.

Where are you based in Dublin? There are a few good offers about if you want to test the water as it were.

Corballis, Sillogue, Hollystown all do cheap membership (€450 a year) where you pay every time you play - at a reduced rate. If it turns out you really enjoy the game, then you can worry about big membership fees etc.

The societies thing is a great idea too. I joined one at work - the first time I went out I played with two guys I never met before, first two holes were shaky, bu got a Par and a Bogey - then shanked my tee shot on the Par 3 third, into apple trees - eventually took a 7..... Everyone messes up (me more then most), but mots lads will encourage you along!

Actually on the society thing - am going to get a push on for a Boards one - it's been talked about before, so why not!....

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

Thanks. Some really good advice here.

Gonna look into the societies side of things, hadnt heard of that one. Sounds like it could be a good place to start...

Any more suggestions greatly apppreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

delboy159 wrote:
    As a guy who is just under a year ahead of you I would agree with the lads.

When I saw the title of the post I was going to suggest just getting out and playing par 3 courses first "to break yourself in", but that wouldn't actually get you into the game.

The best thing to do is just jump in and put your name down for club comps, get to know people and enjoy the game.

Where are you based in Dublin? There are a few good offers about if you want to test the water as it were.

Corballis, Sillogue, Hollystown all do cheap membership (€450 a year) where you pay every time you play - at a reduced rate. If it turns out you really enjoy the game, then you can worry about big membership fees etc.

The societies thing is a great idea too. I joined one at work - the first time I went out I played with two guys I never met before, first two holes were shaky, bu got a Par and a Bogey - then shanked my tee shot on the Par 3 third, into apple trees - eventually took a 7..... Everyone messes up (me more then most), but mots lads will encourage you along!

Actually on the society thing - am going to get a push on for a Boards one - it's been talked about before, so why not!....

Bleedin Beaverstown???

Advertisement