Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Therapy

Options
  • 16-02-2007 3:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

I've always suffered from Insomnia from time to time, however lately it has been absolutely flaring up. I'm due in at 7 in the morning for work, which means if I go to sleep now the most I can get is about 3 hours sleep. I got about four hours last night. Last week I went a whole night without sleep - I have a 12 hour day in front of me, and feel as if I'm not far off insanity.

Can anyone tell me how they coped with this problem, or put me in touch with a sleep Therapist, or something. It's going to cost me my job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Have you tried exercise or some sporting activity in the evening to tire yourself out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I go to the gym about four times a week. It makes no difference - I've read that going to the gym can cause the body to take longer to cool down, which it needs to do to promote sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Theres some insomnia tips in the Sleeping & Dreaming forum under Rec, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Thanks Ruu - whoever thought sleeping was recreational, ha ha. Maybe the kind mod will move this for me so?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Your diet may affect this as well. Refrain from eating just before bed time.
    Ask in a health shop about natural remedies. Talk to a GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

My Hubby found some stuff called "5 Hour Energy Drink" that really helps in moments like this to get you through the day. It's not loaded with caffiene, instead, it is a glucose mixture and it keeps you alert and able to get through 5 hours at a time. At the end of the day you should be able to drift right off to sleep.

It is difficult to find here in the US - only at random petrol stations. Maybe you'll have better luck in your neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fivehoursofsky

There was a documentary on UTV (I think) about a sleep therapy clinic in England (sorry I can't be more specific). I know it's not much info but it's better than nothing, right? Sleep study is still a vastly undiscovered area from what I hear (as I'm interested in learning) and it's not exactly something you'll find in every town. But there is a place in England who seemed to be pretty up to date if the documentary is anything to go by.

Advertisement