Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Daft Question re Ford Focus

Options
  • 16-02-2007 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi folks

Just looking for a little advice please. I bought a 2004 ford focus last week and transferred my insurance over onto it straight away. My renewal is up anyway in a couple of weeks time so the insurers sent me out a renewal quote as well.

Now, before I go and shop around for the best prices I need some exact details on the model (I think)?

According to the car dealer I bought from, the car is a 1.4 zetec model. However, the only markings on the car are the letters LX so how can I tell if it's the LX model or the Zetec one? Haven't got the reg cert so I can't check that.

Maybe it makes no difference to the insurance anyway but I just want to be sure...

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Lpfsox wrote:
    Hi folks

Just looking for a little advice please. I bought a 2004 ford focus last week and transferred my insurance over onto it straight away. My renewal is up anyway in a couple of weeks time so the insurers sent me out a renewal quote as well.

Now, before I go and shop around for the best prices I need some exact details on the model (I think)?

According to the car dealer I bought from, the car is a 1.4 zetec model. However, the only markings on the car are the letters LX so how can I tell if it's the LX model or the Zetec one? Haven't got the reg cert so I can't check that.

Maybe it makes no difference to the insurance anyway but I just want to be sure...

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

D

I'd say your dealer is calling it Zetec to get a sale. The engines in the last 3 fordies I've driven are zetec engines, but the interior of the cars were not.

If the car is the 'new' design focus check out the ford site and have a look at the specs for goodies. The zetec is higher spec'd than the lx.

Having said that if the car is badged lx, i'd say it's an lx. It makes no sense to have a zetec spec with an lx badge, whereas the amount of 'M' badges you see on BMW's is funny

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Hi gatecrash

thanks for the reply. It's the slightly older model so can't find anything on the Ford website.

Car dealers eh? Am wary of this one now anyway - only gave me one key to the car and promised to get the other one and send it on. Rang him a couple of times chasing it up and he told me yesterday that he doesn't think there is a second key now and I'll have to pay to have a key cloned myself. Won't be going back to him in a hurry.

Thanks for the advice anyway, other than the dealer am very pleased with the car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Lpfsox wrote:
    he told me yesterday that he doesn't think there is a second key now and I'll have to pay to have a key cloned myself. Won't be going back to him in a hurry.

2 keys were part of the agreement. Keep him to his word.

LX is only the spec, if the badge says LX, it probably is just that. IIRC the LX ha manual mirrors whereas the Zetec has electric heated ones.

hmmmm, the mirrors are definitely electric/heated ones. Is that the only difference between the 2 specs or are there other things I should look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

If it is the old model the zetec had:

Different seats
    A silver facia aroud the radio
    Stiffer suspension
    A CD player (some LXs had this too though)
    Alloys
    Grey around the speedometer rather than black

The new model Zetec has smoked grey front lights and chrome around the grile, while the LX has "normal" shiny front lamps, and some don't have a chrome grille. Other spec differences are per the ford website afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If it's baged LX then it's almost certainly an LX.

I cannot remember every detail but Zetecs have heated front screens, sports seats and suspension, colour coded door mirrors, air con, alloys, and more kit I'm sure.

I wouldn't be one bit happy with not having the 2nd key either. Somebody could walk up to your car and drive it away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The zetec was marketed as a more "sporty" spec. So, inside, the front seats have bigger side bolsters, the centre console around the radio is silver, the dials (speedo, rev counter), have a silver/grey finish, as opposed to black in the LX. The steering wheel should be leather trimmed, and the gearknob grey/silver.

thanks for all the replies, you guys are great.

Don't know how to check for sports suspension (only ever driven one car before - a '97 Astra) but this one has electric/heated body coloured mirrors, no air con, no alloys, it did have a CD (replaced it with my own), gearknob/steering wheel are standard and not silver/leather.

Sounds like an LX - that's the one I'll tell the insurers.

Its only a trim level so its going to make zero differece to your quote.

Go by whats on the Log book.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

insurers mightn't have LX as an option I think I had to put mine as a 'CL'..

• Advertisement

rang around a few insurance companies this morning, 2 of them asked me if it was the CL, LX or Vetec model, and the rest didn't care as long as they had the engine size.

Got a quote for nearly €400 less than my renewal quote from my current insurer which still gives me the same benefits so I'm a very happy camper.

Thanks again for all your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pinkie1

when i was shopping round for quote for ford focus b4 i bought it it did not make a difference on premium - engine size was what mattered moretole me lx would be same price as other names -that qas quinn

Advertisement