Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shakespeare - Yay or Gay??

Options
  • 16-02-2007 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Let's see what the statistics say!

And lest you be deceived by the title, I love S myself from my little expeience or Macbeth and Merchant of Venice. Both were outstanding

I don't agree that we should be forced to learn his works since there are obviously those who don't click with it, then again those of us who do need to be exposed to it some way don't we?

Shakespeare - Yay or Gay? 20 votes

Yay
    0% 0 votes
    Gay
    100% 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Technically, he was gay though, wasn't he?

Anyway, I liked Macbeth, although I hadn't much time for the Merchant of Venice. I gave him a yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Are we supposed to be speculating about his sexuality? Or is it a question of whether we like him or not?
    With regard to the former, he was married to Anne Hathaway so probably not. Tho thats a bit of a grey area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 miabella

i love shake-s-peare! he had really good plots and i find it so fascinating that he wrote them back in the 1600's. most of his themes and issues are still relevant in today's society.well i guess love is a pretty universal theme. you know he had teams of writers looking over his work and polishing and tweaking them? the genius had ppl working for him.brilliant!
    "There's no art to find the mind's construction in the face"
    Duncan

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

miabella wrote:
    i love shake-s-peare! he had really good plots and i find it so fascinating that he wrote them back in the 1600's. most of his themes and issues are still relevant in today's society.well i guess love is a pretty universal theme. you know he had teams of writers looking over his work and polishing and tweaking them? the genius had ppl working for him.brilliant!
    "There's no art to find the mind's construction in the face"
    Duncan

:D

Agreed, his themes are still relevant, from what I've read, anti-semitism, corruption, dishonesty, betrayal..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Big yay from me. I did Merchant of Venice for the JC and am doing Macbeth for the LC. Both of them are class, there's so much you can write about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Shakespeare is interesting. It has been said that he stole all his plays from someone else and that he was gay! But ya I like his plays,

Does Shakespeare in Love count?:D I love that movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Gaye as Christmasse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

The latter:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

he's alright! i did romeo and juliet for the junior cert and my teacher made such an arse of it that i ended up hating it! macbeth is pretty good tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Using "Gay" as a means of a negative option is very immature. Sure do like making your polls though, dontcha?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Shakespeare is interesting. It has been said that he stole all his plays from someone else

Well, like, he did work in a patenting office...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

^No, that was Einstein.
    Rozabeez wrote:
    Using "Gay" as a means of a negative option is very immature.
    Agreed.

Shakespeare is revered beyond his worth, but very good all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Rozabeez wrote:
    Using "Gay" as a means of a negative option is very immature. Sure do like making your polls though, dontcha?

Agreed, has a nice ring to it though doesn't it?

Advertisement