Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recycling books?

Options
  • 16-02-2007 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

this was inspired by reading the thread asking where others bought their books. it made me realise that i could b alone in not buying and keeping books so was swondering is anyone else out there with my mindset.

is it wrong that i very rarely buy books, even though i always have one on the go. i have a little mini book club going on with friends and never expect them back as i feel this is a waste? i get a good deal of mine from recycling centre or library, i only buy or keep ones that a deem valuable, i will never have an extravagent bookshelf as much as id like one as i feel it would be a waste because i'd never read them again and would preer others to get enjoyment and knowledge from them

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.bookcrossing.com/

you could try this.. after you finish'ed a book you leave it somewhere public and um.. well someone else finds it and reads it, and then hopefully they leave it somewhere public and so on so forth

never done it myself because I like having a large bookshelf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Mordeth wrote:
    http://www.bookcrossing.com/

you could try this.. after you finish'ed a book you leave it somewhere public and um.. well someone else finds it and reads it, and then hopefully they leave it somewhere public and so on so forth

Great idea in theory but I can see the books getting vandalised tbh. And what are the chances of somebody actually finding sth they woud really enjoy.

Makes more sense to donate to a library or sell to a 2nd hand store imo.

yeah, it's a very romantic notion. If all the literary types in the world moved to once city it would be a fun game to play, other than that.. they'd probably get used for roaches and then thrown in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mordeth wrote:

Yeah, collecting bookshelves is a worthwhile and fulfilling hobby. :)

all my books are in the bottom shed in carboard boxes after my parents moved... my new room hasn't got any space at all for them.. nowhere in the house does.

we moved in august and I still haven't found a decent place for them

• Advertisement

Mordeth wrote:
    all my books are in the bottom shed in carboard boxes after my parents moved... my new room hasn't got any space at all for them.. nowhere in the house does.

we moved in august and I still haven't found a decent place for them

We're in a similar enough situation (myself and simu). At present our apartment has 5 full sized bookshelves and 1 tall narrow one. Books are steadily building up in piles and some haven't been unpacked yet (and that's not counting what we haven't brought here yet). The issue is that we've pretty much run out of space in the apartment and our son is getting to "pulling up to standing" age and some of the bookshelves are cheap Argos jobs that aren't the steadiest in the world.

We're looking at replacing most of the old bookshelves with new ones, but we're not quite sure from where, we got 3 beautiful and solid oak bookshelves when we moved in here (to compensate for the melding of our collections) and they, while worth it, were a bit pricey to replace the others with. So we have to figure out something about that, essentially we need taller and wider shelves if possible, but there is hardly any free wall space left here that we could use for anything.

I'm almost at a point where I'll start sorting through ones and picking ones to sell/give away. Almost.

holy crap, you two have a child.. congrats :)

anti grav bookshelves would be cool, hang them from the ceiling.

Mordeth, are you a mind reader? I was just thinking of levitating books there.

Thanks for the congrats!

Mordeth wrote:
    holy crap, you two have a child.. congrats :)

Cheers. :)
    Mordeth wrote:
    anti grav bookshelves would be cool, hang them from the ceiling.

Hmm, you know with enough velcro...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

nesf and simu are a couple!?!

I've only ever received a book via bookcrossing. I kept meaning to buy a TS Eliot book and one day I was walking through college to Hodges and Figgis and on my way I found a book on the ground. I thought it might have belonged to someone or the library but then I saw a post-it on the front informing me that it was a free book from someone using bookcrossing. It was the collected poetry of TS Eliot! I've kept it because it's such a great collection of poetry.

• Advertisement

John wrote:
    nesf and simu are a couple!?!

I've only ever received a book via bookcrossing. I kept meaning to buy a TS Eliot book and one day I was walking through college to Hodges and Figgis and on my way I found a book on the ground. I thought it might have belonged to someone or the library but then I saw a post-it on the front informing me that it was a free book from someone using bookcrossing. It was the collected poetry of TS Eliot! I've kept it because it's such a great collection of poetry.

Wow! That was improbable!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Most certainly, best part was it was a lovely sunny day so I bought an ice cream and sat on the grass reading the book. Happy days.

Advertisement