Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Installation

Options
  • 16-02-2007 10:36am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey. This is going to sound like the I am very stupid or silly, but I have a very limited knowlege of broadband and was hoping some people on here can help!

Question that may solve it all before you read on:

Do I have to contact Eircom to get my line upgraded first or something?
    I presumed once I ordered the broadband that they would do this for me?

Scenario

Got my broadband box from Eircom yesterday. 1MB always on. Did all the necessary connections and installed the software - well it got so far and gave me the following error

Could not determine default gateway
    The installation guide cannot connect to your gateway device.

Are my totally clueless and doing something wrong or do I have to contact Eircom?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You don't have to contact Eircom to do anything more with you're line. It's done as part of the order.

I presume you got the silver Netopia wireless modem.
    Is the DSL light on solid (not flashing) on the front of the modem?
    The 'internet' light is probably red.
    If so, connect to your pc with yellow ethernet cable (you don't need to install any software).
    Open Internet Explorer and in the address bar type http://192.168.1.254 and hit enter.
    The connection page should appear containing the username/password. Click connect and you're in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

"The 'internet' light is probably red"
    The internet light is green. There are 5 lights green on the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

wireless might be turned on by default.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

stanley1 wrote:
    wireless might be turned on by default.
    how do I check this and see???

Stupidity is an awful curse!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ahh. You didn't say you were trying to connect via wireless.
    You still need to follow the instructions in my earlier post and connect with the cable to access the modem settings. Wireless security is on by default so the initial wireless setup needs to be done via the cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

how are you trying to connect to the netopia?

over ethernet or wireless?

[QUOTE=Stupidity is an awful curse![/QUOTE]

Spent the last hour and half on the phone to there help desk and turns out that the problem is with my network card on my pc. Well thats what they reckon but I am not sure. He asked me to try my laptop and it works fine on my laptop. Thing is it was connecting fine on my pc and the network card lighst were on and it was connected to the router but I could not get any page to display!

Cheers for the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Switch everything on PC & modem, now push reset button on back of modem (beside on/off switch) for 2 - 5 secs, lights at front will flash and change colour. Once reset open IE and in address type 192.168.1.254 to access the connection page. If this fails disable your anti virus and try again.

hellboy they did say something at the end about disabling my firewall. Will I have to keep it disabled at all times or just until I can get see webpages again?

First, what operating system & anti virus are you running ?

• Advertisement

Running on XP Pro wiht Avast and Zonealarm

Looks like your problem is a firewall issue, when running Avast and Zonealarm together you can get certain conflicts that can result in firewall issues. Easy fix, disable Zonealarm firewall and use Win XP firewall.

Click : Start - Control Panel - Windows Firewall and click ON and ok.

Hopefully that should do the trick.

Hellboy I type this post from my pc that is now hooked to the broadband!!
    As you said disabling the firewall did the trick.
    Thanks for all your help.

Glad to of helped :)

Advertisement