Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord selling. Do I have to accommodate viewings?

Options
  • 16-02-2007 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

My landlord has decided to sellup after owning the house for just 1 year. I now have estate agents ringing me all the time to say there is a viewing at whatever time and yesterday he arrived unannounced to take pictures! I don't think this should be happening while I am still living in the house but do I have a choice? My rent is up to date and I am not due to leave for 4 weeks.

Comments

For Gods sake make sure he is registered with the PRTB

www.prtb.ie - you can check on that website

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Talk to Threshold. Theoretically you can't prevent the viewings, but on the other hand, there has to be a certain amount of courtesy involved here.

The estate agent does not deal with you, he deals with the landlord and you should not hear from the estate agent; arrangements for viewings should be agreed in advance with you. Neither the landlord nor the estate agent can turn up unannounced. The landlord cannot force you to rearrange your furniture either as you're entitled to peaceful enjoyment of your home. If you continue to get calls from the estate agent, I recommend you tell him to contact the home owner.

In my case, a couple of periods were agreed in advance. Just turning up is not acceptable at all, and you are entitled to notice of viewings. As you have only 4 weeks to go in the property I would, if I were the property owner, wait until you were out of the house, but I suspect that if they are selling up this fast, they are getting concerned about the market and panicking.

Do talk to Threshold though as they have been very helpful to me in similar circumstances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they have to pay you for your time, you are entitled to "Quiet Enjoyment" of a tenancy and this is neither quiet or enjoyable

leave plenty of teabags in the sink and knickers on the floor so they know you are happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I know how distressing this can be. I lived in a house share and travelled to England for a day trip. When i got back I was told the landlord had brought people round to do a viewing and had gone in my room where I had my washing up to dry so some strangers got a nice eyeful of my underwear. I was furious and left at the first opportunity. The estate agent was of no use and when these randomers turned up unannounced I had a quiet word with him and told him we had not been informed of this. I didn't know what do at all and everyone else in the house had only just moved to Ireland so none of us knew the laws. Good luck though. It is not acceptable to be doing it. Contact the landlord and tell him to organise things through you or you will be contacting agencies like threshold which are there to protect the rights of tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I sold a house and waited till the tenant had moved out. Its a sign of a desperate person who engages in this type of behavior. He is only scaring of potential buyers often the first few by having it occupied.

All visits to the house must be notified to you in writing I believe. He is abusing your good nature by arriving unannounced and wanting to get in to take pictures or bring guests. You pay rent it is your home.

You do not have to deal with estate agents.

It would be better for all concerned if you just asked him nicely to hold of on viewings till you have moved on.

If he must ask for at least a few days notice.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sponge Bob wrote:
    leave plenty of teabags in the sink and knickers on the floor so they know you are happy
    Make sure said knickers are soiled ..... or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Get the skin mags out!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Every lease I have ever signed has said that the landlord would be allowed to organise viewings during the last month of my tenancy. Check your lease and see what you have agreed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

She never sent me out a copy of the lease! I should have asked her for it ages ago but I didn't bother because I was really happy here and she never bothered me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

foxy06 wrote:
    She never sent me out a copy of the lease! I should have asked her for it ages ago but I didn't bother because I was really happy here and she never bothered me.

Course she never did you paid her mortgage on her little "investment" now the market has levelled off she is dumping the place like a hot rock. Like I said ask her nicely to let you live out your time in peace. She can have a chance to clean the place up after you leave to a selling standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

I let my landlord do what he liked when he was selling the last place i lived in - he was good to me while i was there, which appreciated.

He gave me my deposit at at the start of the last month when i went looking. On the day i moved out he handed me a cheque for €2000 - yes two thousand - for being a good sport he said. That was my last months rent and then some back.

Even though i had a serious pain looking for a new place i got treated well while i was there, so cannot fault him.
    Maybe try and make a deal like this with your landlord, or just be nice and see if you get anything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I cant find the thread i read it in but there was another boarsdie in a simliar predicament and kicked up a fuss. I believe he agree a fee with the landlord everytime the landlord arranged a viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I would have thought that as you paid the rent in advance for the last month that the only people that should be entering are those invited by you?

Definitely would take it up with prtb, or say to your landlord you want a refund of rent paid at a rate of a week per visit or something like that (due to stress and inconvenience caused) otherwise you are going to the prtb, who I suspect will be very interested if he isn't registered - as would the tax man no doubt at all and I bet he knows it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement