Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free bikes for dubs

Options
  • 16-02-2007 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I've seen this work in Munich, you send a text message to the number on the bike and it unlocks it, charing to X amount. Will it work here? Surely scumbags will just wreck them, and drunks will cycle them into LUASs etc.
    I don't think we're civilised enough for this to work. I'm a northsider and work in the north city centre but with the amount of scumbags in the north city centre that I see every day, junkies, people you can't look at twice without them trying to start a fight etc., I think it might only work on the south inner city. Thoughts?
    It's city bikes for all - but they have to be recycled!

ON yer bike Dubs - but don't forget to leave them back.
    The 500 public bicycles which are to be located around Dublin are "virtually vandal proof" according to the City Council, in what surely smacks of "famous last words".
    Sceptics might fear that some less civic-minded Dubs may not be inclined to return the bikes, which will be emblazoned in Dublin colours.
    There are fears the bicycles might suffer the same fate as that perennial urban unfortunate - the abandoned shopping trolley. However, each bike has an on-board computer to track its movement.
    Their unique design ensures they cannot suffer punctures and there are no visible wires.
    "The proposed Dublin City Bicycle is of a new generation and the result of over a decade of continuous and extensive investment," says the council.
    The bikes are to be located at 25 key locations such as St Stephen's Green. They will be available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and will be branded with the Dublin City Council logo.
    They are being introduced across the city by one of the world's largest outdoor advertising companies, JC Decaux, in exchange for permission to erect 120 permanent advertising billboards.
    Over 60pc of the new advertising space will be dedicated to giving civic information to citizens and visitors to the capital.
    Part of the deal involves the removal of 1,800 current billboards. The bicycles should be in place within the next six months, along with the new network of variable message electronic billboards.
    Fine Gael Councillor Naoise O Muire said yesterday that criticism of the plan was unfair.
    He said that the scheme had showed creativity and was a worthwhile step in the right direction.
    Amsterdam pioneered the free bicycle system, but in Dublin there will be a small charge for their use.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We know well what will happen the bicycles, we also know well where they will be put and you can be sure it won't be in the areas that have to suffer the 120 fifteen foot high advertising things (illuminated 24 hours a day on both sides) in the middle of the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

I used to work for the company who are providing the bikes and I have to say I would be optimistic that it will work. They are really sturdy and the system seems to have worked in cities across Europe. I'm sure all these places have their fair share of scumbags as well!
    As far as I know the bikes will be installed all across the city centre and inner suburbs. And there will be people employed specifically to round up the stray bikes and ensure an even distribution of bikes across the pick-up points. Well that's what was planned anyway.
    I think the article you quoted is incorrect though because the company doesn't actually own the amount of billboards they are reportedly removing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Can they swim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

I vaguely remember the Green Party testing a similar scheme a few years ago.

Their scheme involved leaving a number of bikes around the city for people to use as they wished. There were no locks etc. Apparently they were all stolen within a few weeks!

I like the sound of this idea though. Could be handy alternative for avoiding traffic queues for short journeys home. I'd give it a provisional thumbs up

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

Can they swim?
    Yeah they're Chitty Chitty Bang Bang bikes. They can swim and fly:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

If I remember correctly I think it was Copenhagen introduced a similar scheme. Initially there was a lot of theft & vandalism. The city persevered and the vandals eventually got bored.

Here's links to a few others

http://www.springwise.com/transportation/city_bike_schemes/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

sounds good, this will be really handy. Hope its here by the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

instead of having 500 state of the art bikes with mobile phone unlockers and GPS tracing systems, have 1500 bikes that are crap. let the knackers rob the first 1000 and they'll get bored. then you have 500 bikes.

i dont think it will work personally, dublin has too much of a weird urban sprawl. what happens if i cycle from camden street to dorset street? will i get my 2 euro back if i return the bike to a set space?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

An excellent idea. But could I get home on one? I live in Leixlip, btw:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Certainly not civilised enough for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Try to read past the spin on this:
    The 500 public bicycles which are to be located around Dublin are "virtually vandal proof" according to the City Council, in what surely smacks of "famous last words".

The spin is 'free bikes' Bikes are not free - free for 1st 30mins then €1 an hour. Likely will require a €150 deposit via bank card preauthorisation.
    Sceptics might fear that some less civic-minded Dubs may not be inclined to return the bikes, which will be emblazoned in Dublin colours.
    No ads on the bikes ?? Wouldn't this make more sense than more new ad space in the city?
    "The proposed Dublin City Bicycle is of a new generation and the result of over a decade of continuous and extensive investment," says the council.

Errr...it's the JCDecaux bike and DCC have not made ANY investment except agreeing to sell of the roads and footpaths for advertising without consulting us, the people who own the footpaths and roads. JCDecaux are trying to get this scheme through in as many cities as possible to sew up advertising contracts and sites.
    The bikes are to be located at 25 key locations such as St Stephen's Green. They will be available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and will be branded with the Dublin City Council logo.

Again - waste of the ad space to self-finance this, rather than put up lucrative new sites.
    They are being introduced across the city by one of the world's largest outdoor advertising companies, JC Decaux, in exchange for permission to erect 120 permanent advertising billboards.
    Why is this the deal in Dublin. In Lyon/Paris/Copenhagen the contract was for existing ad space contracts?
    Over 60pc of the new advertising space will be dedicated to giving civic information to citizens and visitors to the capital.
    I bet this 60pc is calculated on the of the total space will be civic information, I bet that includes the maps/fingerposts etc that JCDecaux are proposing. The ads spaces will be commercial usage you can bet. I love to know this for sure but 'oddly' DCC won't release even a press release relating to this scheme. There is NOTHING on DCC website about this proposal apart from 190 odd individual Planning Permission applications.
    Part of the deal involves the removal of 1,800 current billboards.
    A large number of which did not have planning permission in the first place, An Taisce have been battling this for years.
    The bicycles should be in place within the next six months, along with the new network of variable message electronic billboards.

Should? As in ought to be? DCC expect to be able tell us how it will be without consultation. Next thing you know theres a ten foot wide billboard on the footpath outside your house. Try and sell then in a falling market.
    Fine Gael Councillor Naoise O Muire said yesterday that criticism of the plan was unfair.

Unfair?? Care to share the exact details of the plan and financial arrangements with JCDecaux ,Councillor ? No? Then expect justified criticism of how the DCC applies the democratic process.
    He said that the scheme had showed creativity and was a worthwhile step in the right direction.
    I agree - the bike scheme is an excellent idea. Is this really the only way to make it happen. What alternatives have DCC considered or put to tender? Or have they been persauded by a slick outdoor advertising companies proposal?
    Amsterdam pioneered the free bicycle system
    And paid for it themselves...without selling off footpaths for ads.
    but in Dublin there will be a small charge for their use.
    Less than a LUAS ticket. Here's a thought, why not charge the amount necessary to make it largely self-financing along with corporate sponsorship of the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Just a quick reminder to any 3rd parties that have already objected - the deadline for many appeals to An Bord Pleanalla shuts Tuesday.

From Phoenix Magazine:

COUNCILLORS BEING TAKEN FOR A RIDE

A REMARKABLE row has emerged in Dublin City Council over a contract already agreed by officials with advertising firm, JCDecaux, in what has been described as a “free bike” scheme for Dublin: that is “free” in exchange for 120 billboard sites. So controversial is the scheme that denizens like Bertie Ahern – as a Drumcondra resident – has objected to it.

While media reports have concentrated on the bicycles, the real story is that councillors are outraged at the deal being already agreed by officials, with councillor Tom Stafford’s criticisms of the plan as a “terrible, terrible application” typifying representatives’ views.

Councillors were simply not aware of the scheme’s details – that is until 70 simultaneous applications to erect billboards was made by JCDecaux during December, with another 50 in January. These roadside units are to display adverts on one side, with “civic information” on the other – and all to be located on public footpaths.

Strangely there has been no Environmental Impact Assessment, nor a council motion selling public land – while councillors are also puzzled as to why, if the council is to be a beneficiary, that the applications were not addressed to Bórd Pleanála.

More interesting is that by virtue of the project being applied for as more than 120 individual applications, it would cost over €25 grand for total adjudication by the Bórd.

However, Executive Planning Manager Ciaran MacNamara has been busy at council meetings defending the “public realm enhancements”. Describing the proposed billboards as a “new departure for the industry”, MacNamara claims that along with the 500 rental bikes, the city will get 4 public toilets, “a family of way-finding signage”, and JCDecaux would reduce their current billboards by 25%.

Yet despite the contract having been already signed, MacNamara is refusing to release it to councillors on the basis it as “commercially sensitive” – with councillors now resorting to FOI requests.

Mr MacNamara also claims that “very few” objections had been received; maybe he didn’t see the one from Bertie Ahern, or from Tony Gregory, or the one from Councillor Larry O’ Toole. Councillor Tom Brabazon has been very busy getting in a dozen objections – while dozens of other interests have also objected, such as Dublin City Business Association whose members – Arnotts, Clerys, and Eason’s – have all filed objections.

Then there’s the Dublin Transportation Office’s submission regarding the 70 15-feet high “metropole” applications, which states “the DTO is totally opposed” as illuminated signage “is considered to be a safety hazard”.

Now councillors have begun to do their own sums regarding the advertising revenue potential; Tom Stafford estimated €13 million per annum – which over the 15 year terms is over €200 Million; i.e. enough to buy 2 million bikes...

Anybody feel as if they have been taken for a ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Can they swim?
    :D:D:D

nellie has just caught the correct

Also northsiders have known for years that boltcutters=free bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I think that it is an excellent idea. But I have a feeling they will be wrecked, just like everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

No more word on this crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Amsterdam is the city that pioneered the "free" bike system, where brightly coloured bikes (pink I think) were left around the city. If you needed a bike, you just grabbed one, rode it to your destination and left it for someone else to use. The system was stopped after a short time and largely considered to be a failure. Most of the bikes ended up in the canals.

If the Dutch can't handle it I think it's not going to work in scumbag central.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

biko wrote:
    Amsterdam is the city that pioneered the "free" bike system, where brightly coloured bikes (pink I think) were left around the city. If you needed a bike, you just grabbed one, rode it to your destination and left it for someone else to use. The system was stopped after a short time and largely considered to be a failure. Most of the bikes ended up in the canals.

If the Dutch can't handle it I think it's not going to work in scumbag central.

5 minutes of googling later....

they were white bikes, they had no security, the initial scheme had only 50 of them, it was the 60s and based on some hippy ideal that no-one would abuse the scheme. hardly a valid comparison. JCD are about to launch this scheme in Paris with (apparently) thousands of bikes. I think its potentially a good idea (obviously the advertising element of it is a different matter).

This is an absolute disgrace - Paris gets way more benefits in a deal agreed with the same company, while Dublin properties get devalued. Dubliners are getting ripped off. This stinks :mad:

Hearings are taking place into this next week in An Bord Pleanalla - over 2 dozen are under appeal. Since last posting, we received an auctioneer's opinion as to what effect this would have on our property. The auctioneer has said that in the metropole development would devalue the property as it would obscure the business to such extent that it would be "catastrophic to the company's passing trade".

This is outragous - that a local authority would be involved in developments that will damage the value of other properties. What's worse is that we know other owners who only found out after the appeals deadline - they are horrified + outraged. Does anybody else know anybody in this position?

As follows is an article that appeared on the poor value for the city. Pity the journalist didn't talk to me as to what this'll do for my business. Still the piece shows what a shite deal this is...

Originally Published in The Sunday Times - July 1, 2007

Dublin 'shortchanged' on free bikes

Ruadhan Mac Eoin

OILING the wheels of commerce to drive a green agenda sounds like a
    win-win situation, but critics of Dublin's "bicycles for billboards"
    deal say the council has ended up a loser.

J C Decaux, one of the world's leading outdoor advertising agencies,
    has given the capital significantly fewer bikes proportionally than it
    gave to Paris, Lyons and other European cities where it has billboard
    agreements.

Dublin has agreed to let J C Decaux erect 120 billboards on public
    footpaths around the city. In return the agency will provide 500
    bicycles for low rent at 25 locations. It will also supply four kiosks
    with public lavatories, maps and signposts. The value to Dublin is
    calculated at €85m. The agency has also agreed to withdraw 100 of its
    existing hoardings from the city. New ones will be located on public
    property and some will carry civic information.

In Paris the company is providing 20,600 bikes this year in return for
    1,628 billboards – more than 12.6 bikes for each billboard, three
    times the Dublin figure of little more four per hoarding. The Paris
    contract also involves paying an annual rental of €2,085 for each site
    for 10 years.

Several other European cities have similar deals with J C Decaux.
    Vienna was the first, in 2002. It was initially a disaster, with 2,000
    bicycles stolen in the first 48 hours, but then 900 secure
    GPS-traceable bikes being provided. Each bike in Dublin will have a
    mini-chip to allow it to be tracked.

In Lyons, a city with a population similar to Dublin, 3,000 bicycles
    have been made available – six times more than here – while Barcelona
    also has 3,000. In Brussels, only 250 bicycles are available, but the
    J C Decaux advertising element is restricted to bike sheds. The city
    has paid €178,000 towards the scheme.

Dublin officials are refusing to release the contract on grounds of
    "commercial sensitivity", so the value of any cash transaction is
    included in the 15-year deal is not clear.

Andrew Montague, a Labour councillor who supports the project, said
    more transparency would be preferable. He believes J C Decaux got the
    contract after "a fair tender process", in which there had been six
    bids. "As the Paris scheme is a much bigger scale, it was logical that
    they would get better value", Montague said.

The Paris terms were agreed after a court challenge by a competitor,
    Clear Channel, which claimed there were irregularities in the original
    tendering process.

Emer Costelloe, another Labour councillor, said the revelations about
    the Paris project confirmed her "worst fears" that Dublin was getting
    "an incredibly poor deal".

She would be urging the incoming Lord Mayor to address this "as a priority".

Dublin is permitting 70 "metropole" billboards, which are 3.5 metres
    high, automated and illuminated. A further 50 electronic billboards,
    similar in size to that of bus-shelter adverts, are to be installed in
    the city centre, primarily in the north inner city and along the
    Aungier Street axis.

The Dublin deal has attracted criticism over the lack of an
    environmental impact assessment and road safety issues. Forty appeals
    against planning permission have been lodged with An Bord Pleanala.
    They include objections filed by businesses such as Arnotts and An
    Taisce, the national trust, which say they were not consulted.

One complaint is that J C Decaux has engaged in project splitting by
    sending in 130 separate applications to the council. Critics say
    officials were already predisposed to granting planning permission.

Most of the billboards are to be erected on the north side and in the
    inner city, which critics say will lead "to further stigmatising
    already disadvantaged neighbourhoods".

Stuart Fogarty, former President of The Institute of Advertising
    Practitioners in Ireland, has lodged an appeal on the basis that "the
    agreed advertising sites will be both obtrusive and create negative
    aesthetics for the city…and are not helpful to either motorists or
    pedestrians".

The Sunday Times understands that J C Decaux is already at an advanced
    stage of negotiation with Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Council to introduce
    a similar scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the councillors are being taken for ride, its not a fair deal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The oral hearings in An Bord Pleanála are next week I believe.

The sleeveen way JC Decaux entered these as seperate applications rather than as a scheme as they should have been has resulted in a relatively small number of appeals, though at 210 euro a pop, it's heartening to see so many ordinary Dubliners care enough to lodge one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Terrible idea.
    If anyone wants to cycle then affordability is not an issue. You can buy a bike from as little as €100 or possibly less

If they want to encourage cycling, there should be better facilities, presentations in schools and maybe grants for employers to install bike racks.
    Oh and some Open Cycles where the gardai close the city centre and people can complete a course.

These "free bikes" will at the bottom of the canals and the Liffey within a week of them being made available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

As long as our roads are in such a bad state and cycle tracks abused and in a substandard state for most road bikes people aren't going to be drawn to cycling in the city.

I feel a couple of small warehouse spaces , secure plot of land or a percentage of a secure car park where cyclists could park their bikes would encourage a number of people to buy their own and use regularly.

The second class and dangerous conditions for cyclists on Dublin roads are the biggest factor in people not cycling. I'm sure many have probably gave it a go but packed it in fairly quick after they got a taste of using our roads for cycling.

We need propper cycle infrastructure including cycle lanes exclusively for bikes (as opposed to the current ones which are used for car park spaces and which are too poor quality for bikes anyway) before free bikes. It's a bit like getting a new fleet of trains without first laying the rail track for them.

also 10 year jail terms for ipodestrians, roller bladers and dog walkers who insist on using cycle lanes. either that or make it legal to gut them with a samurai sword. :)

/ I wonder how many of the advertisments will end up in the middle of our great footpath / cycle paths.

clown bag wrote:
    / I wonder how many of the advertisments will end up in the middle of our great footpath / cycle paths.

All of them, according to the proposals.

Lovely.

Advertisement