Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quick poll for you all

• 16-02-2007 1:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

would be interested if as many as possible could respond to this poll for some research

basically need to know how many of you all here are familiar with secondlife www.secondlife.com

thanks guys :D

how familiar are you with secondlife? 69 votes

I currently am a member
    0%
    I used to be a member
    8%
    Mr. SkeffingtonthemoleTerryfacemangeneralmiaowGhost Train 6 votes
    I've heard of it and I'm planning on joining at some stage
    7%
    mijuScraggseventhumbertderdoh 5 votes
    I've heard of it but I'm not planning on joining
    8%
    neGevStargalFrankieboyswingkingCacohiscan 6 votes
    I've never heard of this whole 3D world thing
    75%
    Civilian_TargetLex_DiamondsTom DunneGordonlaykesuper_furryCreatureRabiesradiospanCrucifixBlistermansnickerpussCactus ColDchumpSleepyZaphPacificoHippothelordofcheese 52 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I don't see a poll..

I'm aware of it and I tried it out but I found it too creepy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Heres a pole for anyone dissapointed by the lack of poll's on this thread so far.
    EDIT: Crisis averted, polls up.
    I have heard of it, but wouldnt have any interest in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

it's there now , you were too fast scraggs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

ehh why not post it in games?
    a bad game if i ever saw one.

i was going to but i'm more interested in the views of people who wouldnt frequent the games section ;)

also ,it's not really a game as such it's a whole new world economy with virtual currency linked to real world currency which not too long ago created it's first real world millionaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Didnt some Chinese girl make a nice packet out of it? Selling virtual flats and business blocks or sumit. Id murder a bowl of cornflakes right now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The last poll option is unintentionally hilarious-I've never heard of a 3D world! Cause I'm living in a cubist nightmare myself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

So basically it's like The Sims but with real money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

dr.bollocko and Trilla, find some other forum to get your postcounts up. They have been removed, consider this a warning. Back on topic everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

lol. That's one of the saddest things i've ever seen! What sort of losers would create a new 'virtual' life for themselves so they can spend more time on their computer avoided the real world...y'know, that place they DO live in???...It's like the next saddo nerd-step after getting addicted to Warcraft & Roleplay games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Excuse me, but in both posts I asked legitimate questions, I consider it a warning but as for postcount ++, not interested.

The common posts that appear here often have a mixture of tongue and cheak and relevant posts, some have just pure crap in them. I use the word "cornflakes" as a polite word for shít, and both in my first and second post I asked a question which is now deleted. If I wasnt bored at work I wouldnt bother replyin to this, ah bla bla bla... basically my posts shouldnt have been deleted.

Anyway, what is the deal with this virtual world? Does it cost money, how do you gain money?

Apapaia wrote:
    So basically it's like The Sims but with real money?

well it would be a bit more complex than that but basically thats the general gist of it

you can pretty much do anything in it but if you want to build you have to buy land etc , i'm half thinking of setting up an irish version :cool:

Futureman wrote:
    lol. That's one of the saddest things i've ever seen! What sort of losers would create a new 'virtual' life for themselves so they can spend more time on their computer avoided the real world...y'know, that place they DO live in???...It's like the next saddo nerd-step after getting addicted to Warcraft & Roleplay games!

not really , it's more like the next evolution on the likes of myspace & bebo , instead of you myspace page you have a 3d home where people can listen to tunes / watch videos or play poker etc etc

personally, i think it's a bit too "out there" for the time being and it's not something i'd be majorly into but secondlife does have some 2,000,000 members on it and generates ALOT of cash

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well its not like there isnt a market in ireland for videogames. I think we are amongst the largest consumers (buying not eating) of video games in the world.
    Plus you can see a tendency towards replacing real-life social situations with virtual ones, and that will probably increase when bandwidth levels in this country increase. If you were to set one up for ireland, I reckon it could do quite well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

If you were to set one up for ireland,

I dont get this? Why would you set something up on the internet only for irish people I allways felt that the best thing about the internet was that physical borders had no relevance??

Or did i completly miss the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Trilla wrote:
    Anyway, what is the deal with this virtual world? Does it cost money, how do you gain money?

It has its own currency called Linden Dollars which you can buy. Does anyone know the exchange rate? Does it fluctuate?

Do you start out with a house or do you have to live with your virtual parents until you can afford one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

miju wrote:
    secondlife does have some 2,000,000 members on it and generates ALOT of cash

There are millions of people with no lives - so the number of members is not surprising. And people with no lives generally have more disposable income, because they don't go out 'cos they have no real friends, and their hobbies are usually internet based....like this 'secondlife' thingy, Warcraft, Half-life, Roleplay, Fantasy Leagues, Podcasts, Blogging, Message Boards, etc! It's a lonely, but cheap, existence.

I never denied there was money in it - I just think it's sad to have "cyberfriends" who knock over to our your little "cyberhouse", and you have "cyberchats", etc, etc.... the last things these losers need to be more withdrawn from reality! It's just not healthy!

ChRoMe wrote:
    I dont get this? Why would you set something up on the internet only for irish people I allways felt that the best thing about the internet was that physical borders had no relevance??

Or did i completly miss the point.

well it wouldnt just be exclusively for Irish people , it would be more the way boards.ie

when i cancelled my secondlife account a couple of weeks ago i cashed 2,000linden dollars for US$4

Futureman wrote:
    I never denied there was money in it - I just think it's sad to have "cyberfriends" who knock over to our your little "cyberhouse", and you have "cyberchats", etc, etc.... the last things these losers need to be more withdrawn from reality! It's just not healthy!

well then the 200,000,000 myspace users and dunno how many bebo users must be all complete saddos then :p:p:p cos thats exactly what they do , except in a more static enviroment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I used to be a member
    Futureman wrote:
    There are millions of people with no lives - so the number of members is not surprising. And people with no lives generally have more disposable income, because they don't go out 'cos they have no real friends, and their hobbies are usually internet based....like this 'secondlife' thingy, Warcraft, Half-life, Roleplay, Fantasy Leagues, Podcasts, Blogging, Message Boards, etc! It's a lonely, but cheap, existence.

Banned.

Is there a full moon or something?
    That's 6 or 7 people I have banned this week.

On topic, I downloaded the software, but apparently my pc is too crappy to play it on. It told me to get a better video card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Actually I agree with Futureman, I think he has it down to a tee.
    I've been through the whole internet gaming addiction personally, at certain extremes it is pathetic and unhealthy... I'd like to go back in time and give myself a good hiding for pissing away so many years of my life on it.
    I think a ban was a bit harsh, he might have put it in a slightly extreme way, but I sit here nodding my head reading that post.

http://www.getafirstlife.com

lol @ get a better video card. my lappie has an inbuilt video card and it worked fine enough on it. is your computer old Terry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Brilliant, says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

If I remembr correctly i saw a something about a Second Life virtual Dublin on the box a few months back. It had O'Connell st to Grafton St. area mapped in it.

aye , some PR place arranged to have it built , it actually looks and appears nothing like dublin at all IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I used to be a member
    miju wrote:
    lol @ get a better video card. my lappie has an inbuilt video card and it worked fine enough on it. is your computer old Terry?
    902 Mhz, 512 RAM 40GB HDD.
    It's just something I threw together by taking all the working parts from old computers. I might have a look at a couple of them and see if one has a hald decent video card on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I used to be a member
    I joined and downloaded it thinging it would be something great but its shoite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Yes i joined once, made my character, i stripped off my clothes and ran around naked shouting "ive been mugged!!" to everyone i met, went into this house and talked to a few people, someone gave me a "penis" texture, some black angel wings and a set of green hotpants and i flew around around asking people to suck my jagons, and i eventually got banned... Obviously these people have no sense of humour :rolleyes:

thanks for all the votes guys , most helpful :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sounds cool, apart from paying and stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I used to be a member
    Am a member, but have used it like twice in a year. Doesn't cost any money to be a member so thats good. Found it a bit boring, didn't get much out of the few hours i spent there. Something like world of warcraft is much better but costs too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I have heard of it, but no, I wont be joining.

And what in gods name was so bannable about Futuremans post? It is quite accurate imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sweden is opening an embassy in the internet fantasy world called Second Life - the first country to do so.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6310915.stm

that kinda exemplifies the whole uselessness of secondlife , the embassy can't issue visas or passports in secondlife just give information much the same way as a website would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I've heard of it but I'm not planning on joining
    I actually heard of this a long time ago. Said it was going to be the next best thing to buying online. You would basically walk around and buy stuff in virtual shops. It was proposed about 2 years ago.

Why was futureman banned again??

• Advertisement

there seems to be 3 main ways people are making money from this poker (a decent bit of cash) , property (alot of cash as land is VERY expensive) and music (a tiny bit of donation cash)

Advertisement