Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download speeds

Options
  • 16-02-2007 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I have had BTs 2Mb residential broadband for the past year while I was under the impression that I was on their 1Mb package, I only noticed when I scrutinized my bills after availing of one of their new packages.
    I woudn't think of myself as a heavy broadband user and all I do is mp3 or video downloading and only at the weekend. As far as I can remember I don't think I have ever seen a download speed above 120kB/s. My question is, will I see any significant reduction in the quality of my broadband if I downgrade to their 1Mb option which I though I was always on. I mean a 1Mb line should still be capable of download speeds of 120kB/s, shouldn't it ? Or is there some reason why the speeds observed in practice are roughly half the advertised speed, i.e if I move to the 1Mb package can I expect my max download speed to fall to 60kB/s?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Around this time last year everyone was upgraded so that's when you moved from 1Mb to 2Mb, though the price didn't change. However, the upgrade didn't work for everyone so you may actually be still on the lower 1Mb speed. Log in to the router by entering 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of your browser (username is admin and default password is 1234 unless you've already changed it). If you're on 2Mb connection then you should be seeing about 220-240kBps downloads.

Check what speed the router is reporting (should be either 1M/128k or 2M/256k). If you're on 1M then ring BT and scream bloody murder and demand the refund you the amount they've been over charging you for the last year. OK, don't actually scream at first, only when you get nowhere with them. If it says 2M and you're still only getting about 120kBps then it could be due to line issues. Check your actual speed on a website such as www.irishisptest.com too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I have the eircom home broadband plus package. I logged into the router, an found that the speeds were quoted at 672 down 256 up. The down speeds are more that a third off the 2048 which it shoud be. I emailed eircom about this just there. Could this be just a contention issue or would the speed still be quoted correctly in that case.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

edit: sp

Advertisement