Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY House Rewire?

Options
  • 16-02-2007 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

HI, can anyone help me?
    What are the regs regarding a diy house rewire, I am planning to move and renovate a house in mayo, and would like to most of the work myself for obvious reasons. I do not want to fall foul of any laws. I am competent, as I used to work with and electricia doing both first and second fixing.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

If you dont know the rules how can you be considered competent? hmmm

But anyway. The Eletro Technical Council of Ireland set the guidelines to follow with electrical work. They have a publication called the National Rules for Electrical Installations. Its a bit pricey, bout €70 or so. Its the bible of electrical work.

See http://www.etci.ie/ for details

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

from my understanding you can do the wiring yourself
    but you need a RECI sparky to check the system and do the signoff for the ESB

Chat to a qualified sparks about this idea

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

^^Yes, you will need a RECI cert at the end of the rewire.

I had my house rewired last year - I got a sparks to do it for me. TBH, after seeing the amount of work required, I reckon its not a DIY job unless you are either VERY competent or a qualified sparks (preferably with RECI recognition).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If the house already has an ESB connection and the bill is being paid, then you won't be asked for a RECI cert so the question is: are you competent and confident in your own work to do the job?

If there is no active ESB supply in the house currently, You'd probably be just as well to get an electrician and maybe offer to labour on him to keep the costs down, if he'll have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Beach Head

Avns1s wrote:
    If the house already has an ESB connection and the bill is being paid, then you won't be asked for a RECI cert

You will require a RECI Cert to connect your new tails which should be 16 sq to the existing meter if there is one. TBH you will have a lot of trouble getting a sparks to certify your work if you are not a sparks yourself.

Your best bet would be to have a sparks spec the wiring, inspect your first fix, supervise partly the second fix and then maybe he would cert it. If it were me I would be willing to work with a customer in that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Monst

Keeks wrote:
    If you dont know the rules how can you be considered competent? hmmm

I meant competent in the actual hands on work, thanks for the advice, I think its probably better to get a sparks to do the job, a lot less hassle, leave me to do the grunt work on the rest of the house.

Cheers

Advertisement