Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Child Sex Abuse Funny to you?

• 16-02-2007 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Child abuse is no laughing matter. I enjoy this site with its humor and the general crack. What I will not tolerate is anyone suggesting any form of sex with a child, laughing matter or not it’s just not right. I also don’t and can’t believe how liberal some people are towards such comments and it has happened a lot in AH.

The issue of Child abuse is so serious that jokes should not be made out of it and when a poster asked what he/she should do to entertain a 7 year old and a suggestion of Oral Sex is made, well by God, I don’t find that funny and I can say for a fact that all the kids in the world who are forced into sex would not find it funny at all.

While comments are made such as in recent posts you have people who are saying, ah leave it out and calm down? That is just wrong. How would you feel if your brother/sister who was 7 was forced to have sex or oral sex? Would you be calm? My point is that a topic about kids or in a case recently a 7 year old, sex should not even be mentioned. If someone did mention it I would have to seriously look at their mental approach to such subjects and the ease at which they can spout off such comments and then defend themselves and have people defending them.

So my questions to you people, Is Child Sex Abuse / Pedophilia funny in any context. Me thinks not 100%

I would suggest to boards.ie admins that any form of comment with regards child sex abuse which is sometimes used so loosely by certain individuals in a laughing manner should get a straight ban and be reported to the appropriate authorities. I am quite shocked at how loosely that comment on a previous topic was used. It appeared to be the first thing that entered that guys head when he thought of a response. How wrong is that and how can people condone it?

Again, Is Child Sex Abuse Funny to you?

Please discuss.

Is Child Sex Abuse Funny to you? 53 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 53 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i think stan marsh from south park said it best when he said:

"either everything's ok to poke fun at or nothing is"

yes the jokes are offensive to some but no matter what the joke, you will find someone who is offended by it. just look at the mohammed cartoons. child sex abuse is not funny but then neither is racism and i think this joke is absolutely hilarious:

why can't stevie wonder read?

because he's black

laughing at that doesn't make me a racist and there's no reason to ban such things from boards. however, if i was using boards as a medium to plan the next clan rally, that'd be a different story

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

er that was my thread with the whole oral sex thing - i thought it was funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

i think stan marsh from south park said it best when he said:

"either everything's ok to poke fun at or nothing is"

My sentiments exactly. If you're offended by it, then just move on to a different thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

It's not the child abuse joke that people find funny, it's just the shock value and the fact that someone would say something so un-PC like that. I went to see Rickey Gervais (sp??) recently and he was taking the piss out of teenagers with cancer. I laughed because what he was saying was so shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Please may I have sex with your 5 year old daughter now that she is 24?

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote:
    er that was my thread with the whole oral sex thing - i thought it was funny

Weirdo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Did you report the offending posts?

I can understand that people do detach themselves from the reality of such comments very easily and others are quick to defend them.

Persoanlly I agree with you that its unacceptable to have such comments in a public forum and heavy punishments should be issued when it does happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

words ....
    While comments are made such as in recent posts you have people who are saying, ah leave it out and calm down? That is just wrong. How would you feel if your brother/sister who was 7 was forced to have sex or oral sex? Would you be calm? My point is that a topic about kids or in a case recently a 7 year old, sex should not even be mentioned. If someone did mention it I would have to seriously look at their mental approach to such subjects and the ease at which they can spout off such comments and then defend themselves and have people defending them. ... words ...

In honesty there is a big difference between making a joking suggestion and actually abusing a child.

I have been know to tell a few peadophile jokes (hence the reason I support the Lolocaust).

And to finish - WHats the best thing about ****ing twenty-eight year olds ?
    Go to humour or the lolocaust to find out :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Welcome! To Paedo-geddon!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

humanji wrote:
    Weirdo!

why am i a weirdo? it didnt offend me, as you said if it offends you move to another thread - you have just completely Contradicted yourself

• Advertisement

also, you should add another option to your poll:

do you find jokes about child sex abuse funny?

no one thinks child abuse is funny just like no one thinks racism is funny. jokes about them are a different matter

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think that child sex abuse is hil-goddamn-larious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

lighten up, its only a bit of craic. every joke pokes fun at something / someone and is bound to offend someone. next you're gonna want ALL jokes banned because any joke always seems to offend at least one person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭exCrumlinBoyo

Most of the comments I see here already are just typical to todays society. I can Guarantee if you or someone close to you who was abused you would not see the funny side. That's what's wrong with people, they live a blinkered life in such topics.

Again, ask the child who has been abused for years if they find it funny.

I will leave it at that.

Spogpean wrote:
    lighten up, its only a bit of craic. every joke pokes fun at something / someone and is bound to offend someone. next you're gonna want ALL jokes banned because any joke always seems to offend at least one person.

Very extreme there buddy. A joke is a joke, but such topics such as Child Abuse should not be laughed or joked about.

Its an already sick society we live in and by joking about sex abuse and pedophiles I truly believe that you are giving some justification to these inhuman scumbags to do what they do.

Dont leave it at that.

I'd like to know how many of the people who think its ok to make jokes in a public forum are parents?

Most of the comments I see here already are just typical to todays society. I can Guarantee if you or someone close to you who was abused you would not see the funny side. That's what's wrong with people, they live a blinkered life in such topics.

OK just to clarify -
    I have friends and family who commited suicide - Yet I find suicide jokes funny
    I have a friend that was killed on a bus that was suicide bombed - I find suicide bomber jokes funny
    I have friends that are black - I find black jokes funny

Fair enough no one I know was sexually abused, that I know of anyway.

Do laughing about these things make me a bad person too ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I would suggest to boards.ie admins that any form of comment with regards child sex abuse which is sometimes used so loosely by certain individuals in a laughing manner should get a straight ban and be reported to the appropriate authorities.

What the fcuk are the authorities going to do about it? Put people away for making jokes about it?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If they are old enough to bleed....

exCrumlinBoyo, people here wont agree with you because its a subject which may very well never affect them.

For those who are ok with it .... are rape jokes fine too? Domestic violence?

• Advertisement

c-13 no it doesnt make you a bad person but as a user of Lolocaust surely you see the reason for having such jokes not made in a public forum?

Again, ask the child who has been abused for years if they find it funny.

I will leave it at that.
    my uncle was. i still find the jokes funny. why? because they're jokes. i'm also blonde but i don't cry myself to sleep because the interweb is full of blonde jokes. why? because they're jokes.

OP it may well be your opinion that we live in a sick society without rules or tolerance and I can completely understand both your viewpoint and your upset at what has to be viewed as bad taste humour. But freedom of expression should be absolute and not limited to what the moral majority affirm is socially ok to do or not do. I dont think that it displays a blinkered view of the world, its just that people look at things with different viewpoints.

c - 13 wrote:
    In honesty there is a big difference between making a joking suggestion and actually abusing a child.

With regards your comment above, what you your opinion be when a poster is reply to a post with regards a 7 year old girl and the first thing he says is "Oral Sex"

Does this not say anything about the posters mentality or does he just have a great sense of humor? Personally, I feel is someone is prepared to think up such suggestions as we have seen, well they are a danger when around kids. How would you feel if the poster in question who mention Oral Sex was around your kids or family? Would you feel comfortable?

Most of the comments I see here already are just typical to todays society. I can Guarantee if you or someone close to you who was abused you would not see the funny side.
    There was child abuse in my immediate family as it would happen. And I see no problem with using it as a topic of humour, it's a way of dealing with things.

With regards your comment above, what you your opinion be when a poster is reply to a post with regards a 7 year old girl and the first thing he says is "Oral Sex"

Does this not say anything about the posters mentality or does he just have a great sense of humor? Personally, I feel is someone is prepared to think up such suggestions as we have seen, well they are a danger when around kids. How would you feel if the poster in question who mention Oral Sex was around your kids or family? Would you feel comfortable?
    i tell racist jokes all the time. should i be kept away from black people lest i string them up?

have you ever told a joke that was derogatory in some way to another person or group? what did that say about you?

but dr.bollocko Boards.ie constantly points out that there is no 'FREEDOM OF SPEECH' here. This is a priavtely owned site and therefore as a company is resposible for the contents of the site.

I think that people should be banned for comments about child abuse.

Op all you can do is report these commenst as they come up or PM an admin if you feel you need to be heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

6th wrote:

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

i tell racist jokes all the time. should i be kept away from black people lest i string them up?

have you ever told a joke that was derogatory in some way to another person or group? what did that say about you?

Do you tell your racist jokes to black people?

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    exCrumlinBoyo, people here wont agree with you because its a subject which may very well never affect them.

absolutely

what do you say to a woman with two black eyes?

nothing you already told her twice.

omg i must hate women. i'll let my girlfriend know. she'll be quite surprised

To me the humour in that statement was actually in the absurdity of the suggestion.

OP the offending thread was dealt with by WhiteWashMan so its obvious that comments like the one are not allowed. It would just be nice if it was acknowledged in general that such comments will lead to a ban.

Cactus Col wrote:
    Do you tell your racist jokes to black people?
    indeed i do. they laugh because they know, and this is quite important here, that its a joke

Does this not say anything about the posters mentality or does he just have a great sense of humor?

Ok maybe it wasnt correct for that particular section, but at the same time there was no harm in the comment and the joke is not the same as the act, just because he made the suggestion is made does not mean the sugestee is dgoing to go find some 7-year old.
    Personally, I feel is someone is prepared to think up such suggestions as we have seen, well they are a danger when around kids.
    This I do not agree with, just because someone makes a joke about it does not mean they are going to do it or even believe in it.
    Example - I could tell a wifebeater joke, and find it funny, however I would still never hit a woman, regardless. The same goes for rape jokes - would me telling a rape joke mean I am capable of raping someone ?
    How would you feel if the poster in question who mention Oral Sex was around your kids or family? Would you feel comfortable?

But the comment want made around kids. I wouldnt want someone talking about sex in front of a 7 year old, but that isnt the case here.

As for kids of my own, I have no kids so I cannot comment on that.

irishbird wrote:
    why am i a weirdo? it didnt offend me, as you said if it offends you move to another thread - you have just completely Contradicted yourself

I was joking :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

having a 5 yr old daughter myself i didnt find it very funny either, but i chose to ignore it, which is what i suggest you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

No child sex abuse is not funny to me, but in some cases jokes about such can be funny, especially if they show how over the top people can take things.

There are times when making fun of all sorts or thing is acceptable, there are times when it's offensive. I think the title of thread "activities that are unlikely to kill a 7 year old" probably lends itself to people giving smart answers, why not seriously hurt the 7 year old etc. and its probably just people pushing things too much. Also the fact it's in AH probably means its a less serious discussion than something you'd find in parenting. The comment was offensive to some people and so was removed, which should end the matter, if the poster has a record of making comments which show bad taste or are only there to offend people, then I would have no problem if they were banned for a while. But that would be down to the site mods etc.

6th wrote:
    c-13 no it doesnt make you a bad person but as a user of Lolocaust surely you see the reason for having such jokes not made in a public forum?

I see the point you are making there 6th and thats why I wouldnt actually post jokes here.

Ok, Fair enough the comment in question was in the wrong place but I am talking about jokes in general, which should be told between a group of adults.

The after hours charter says not to tell the jokes here which I respect.

we should start a thread where everyone puts a list of everything that offends them so that we don't make jokes about those topics again. you know what we'll be left with:

knock, knock

who's there?

phylis.

phylis who?

phylis a glass of water

but oh wait, that's offensive to people named phylis and suggests that women should be subservient to men because she has to go and get me some water. best just close down the humour forum right now

Vimes I'm not sayin such jokes mean you hate women but that posting them public may cause great offense or deep hurt to a fellow Boardsie.

Anyway like I said obviously comments like the one the OP are removed and therefore wrong. Case closed.

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    but dr.bollocko Boards.ie constantly points out that there is no 'FREEDOM OF SPEECH' here. This is a priavtely owned site and therefore as a company is resposible for the contents of the site.

Equally, the owners decide what is allowed to be posted here. There are no laws against humour (until exCrumlinboy gets into power) and as such the most that could/should be done is a polite request to tone it down a bit if the owners think there's a problem.

exCrumlinboy and yourself feel strongly against these kind of jokes. Fair enough. Don't read them or don't laugh at them. But stopping others from doing something simply because you don't feel it's right is hardly justifiable.

Winters wrote:
    If they are old enough to bleed....

Young girls starting at the age of 9 10 or 11 even start their periods. Are you saying there are old enough?

This is exactly the c rap i am talking about.

to just blanket say "we cannot mention this at all" is a backward policy.
    Its the modern equivalent of covering your ears, screwing up your eyes tight shut and biting your tongue lest the boogey man get you.
    To suggest that just because someone makes an obscene joke that they are more likely to commit the obscene act is misguided, if hilariously retarded.

6th wrote:
    Vimes I'm not sayin such jokes mean you hate women but that posting them public may cause great offense or deep hurt to a fellow Boardsie.

Anyway like I said obviously comments like the one the OP are removed and therefore wrong. Case closed.
    i'd say "wrong and therefore removed" would be more appropriate. just because something is removed, doesn't necessarily mean its wrong.

you're not saying such jokes mean i hate women, but someone else was suggesting that telling child abuse jokes makes the poster dangerous around children, which is ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

would racsist jokes be tolerated here ?
    Child abuse to me is the lowest form of crime, sorry don't see anything funny about it -- unless your sick !

Young girls starting at the age of 9 10 or 11 even start their periods. Are you saying there are old enough?

This is exactly the c rap i am talking about.
    again, it was a joke. the end of that joke is "bleedin old enough". i think its hilarious. doesn't mean i'm going to go rape a kid

Afaik 13 year olds can join up to Boards so would it be ok to direct a comment such as "you know, oral sex is a great way to kill time" to someone of that age?

Fact is that kids can read this site and where as as adults we can decide not to read these comments those younger than us may not have the common sense to ignore such statements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Obviously i dont find the concept of child sexual abuse funny,but its an unfortunate part of life and as such it's going to have jokes made about it,in much the same may as mental illness,physical handicap or myriad other acts or conditions that people joke about without finding the reality funny.

I think you can poke fun at anything. H5n1, the holocaust, AIDS, other races, etc. as long as its funny. I think that the context in which certain things are mentioned is very important. I mean if someone showed up and said "I **** children." in that context, of course everyone is gonna be disgusted, but the re-telling of a joke thats genuinely funny that happens to mention a topic you dont want to hear about is not offensive because in the context its an attempt at humour, not an insult.

thebaz wrote:
    would racsist jokes be tolerated here ?
    Child abuse to me is the lowest form of crime, sorry don't see anything funny about it -- unless your sick !
    yes it is the lowest form of crime and if someone told me their brother had been raped i probably wouldn't laugh. but that's an actual event, whereas a joke is a joke

and racist jokes are tolerated here

/me goes to look for the thread with the stevie wonder jokes

edit: here it is

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055053690

the first few aren't racist bit they go that way. in fact one of the racist ones was posted by hagar, a mod of the humour forum but he editted it out because someone else had already told it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement