Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Snatched Moment On Henry St.

• 16-02-2007 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

You swoop in for kisses when I'm not looking
    Walking me into backs of buildings
    On deserted side streets mid-week
    With a simple crook of your finger

I happily come hither
    Travelling up the expanse of your neck
    To encounter enterprising lips
    All my practiced wares forgotten
    Fallen to the ground like loose change

Out of slackened fingers
    Superfluous and smudged with your scent
    Our bodies levitating above
    The sea of yellow-topped taxis
    And the mundane quality of this
    Otherwise ordinary Wednesday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Flattery

As beautifully intimate and carefully observed as ever, Shiv. Particularly like the first two lines of stanza three, with its effortless alliteration, and the "smudged with your scent" line. Also, the opposition of the mundane and the sublime seems to keep cropping up in your poems, which I find interesting. I am also compelled by the minutiae of intimatacy, so really enjoy your work. Keep it coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I'm not particularly into poetry at all but it wasn't clear what this was going to be from the thread title.

I'm glad i clicked though. I keep finding myself reading and re-reading this piece and enjoying it more each time. I'm damned if i can put my finger on it but there's something genuinely compelling about it. Thanks for posting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

My green eyed monster strikes again! Damn you lady. Damn you to hell. (Although, as a writer, you may already be there. ;))

Lovely, as ever. Although lovely is an utterly inappropriate and inaccurate word. Well done sounds patronising, but it's not meant that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

Thank you Flattery, Bluehair and of course, Blush :)

Wasn't sure what to make of this one when I wrote it to be honest, so I'm happy for the feedback. Flattery I appreciate your critique very much!

And Blush, so excited to see you back posting! :) Long overdue!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Night_Rocker

having pretentious similes and words in your poetry does not make it good, contrary to popular belief

with awkward words it seems so robotic, like a windows poem generator or something.

• Advertisement

having pretentious similes and words in your poetry does not make it good, contrary to popular belief

with awkward words it seems so robotic, like a windows poem generator or something.

Does it make you feel somehow better about your own work to put down everyone else's? I notice it seems to be a trend with you lately...

Don't be jealous of the positive feedback; just up your game.

i am not jealous in the slightest, but there is definitely an overload of **** heartless, emotionless poetry on this site. just no connection. i'm sorry but ugh. it just reminds of the **** that's drilled into you in school. so don't jump to any conclusions.

and it's hardly a trend if i've done it with 2 poems... 2 poems which were quite similar in lack of trying.
    it's not my fault if you can't handle negative critique

i am not jealous in the slightest, but there is definitely an overload of **** heartless, emotionless poetry on this site. just no connection. i'm sorry but ugh. it just reminds of the **** that's drilled into you in school. so don't jump to any conclusions.

and it's hardly a trend if i've done it with 2 poems... 2 poems which were quite similar in lack of trying.
    it's not my fault if you can't handle negative critique

Night_Rocker, there is constructive criticism and then there is negative criticism. You appear to be a fan of the latter. This forum is not about trying to get attention by shooting down people's work because you're bitter people aren't critiquing your own stuff.

I am more than capable of handling intelligent constructive criticism, as my work is far from perfect and I am always interested to hear what people think. What I find unnecessary and insulting is your antagonistic approach. There really shouldn't be any need for it if you're capable of expressing your opinion in a thoughtful, dignified way.

fine, then i found the poem lacking and i also thought that you weren't really sure what you wanted it to be. it has it's moments but overall, it's a very mediocre poem.

and stop referring to my work and waht you think the reason for my negativity is. my stuff sucks. i know that, and by all means give it whatever critique you want. but just bringing it up as a form of an argument when it was never even an issue is childish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That's enough.

Night_Rocker, saying your own work is rubbish gives you no right to do the same to others. Stop it now.

shiv, don't rise to the bait.

If either of you still have problems, take it to PMs.

• Advertisement

wait, why doesn't it?

is that not simply saying even if i think my own work is crap that i cannot negatively criticise in any way? that's ridiculous!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

shiv wrote:
    You swoop in for kisses when I'm not looking
    Walking me into backs of buildings
    On deserted side streets mid-week
    With a simple crook of your finger

I happily come hither
    Travelling up the expanse of your neck
    To encounter enterprising lips
    All my practiced wares forgotten
    Fallen to the ground like loose change

Out of slackened fingers
    Superfluous and smudged with your scent
    Our bodies levitating above
    The sea of yellow-topped taxis
    And the mundane quality of this
    Otherwise ordinary Wednesday
    Nice imagery, and good contrast at the end. I enjoyed reading it.

One or two things: the way the first stanza reads made me think the poem was about rape. Maybe that was intentional, or maybe I'm alone in that perversion.

Then the middle part of the poem is really electric, before the contrast in the third stanza, but I've got this feeling that I want another stanza to make it electric again. That said, it's just my personal preference to end on a high note. It certainly is a very good poem though.

Hey hullaballoo,

Thanks so much for the feedback, I appreciate it. :)
    Just to clarify, the poem wasn't about an attempted rape or violent attack at all! Although I guess I can sort of see why some of the 'force' imagery in the first stanza might have led you down that road...

It was really my attempt to try and get across the feeling of someone you're entranced with moving in on you for the romantic kill and being overtaken with that deliciously helpless feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Argie

I love the second half! From fallen change to smudged scent is stunning!

But the first stanza made me think rape as well. I think the first half is a bit stilted but then you settle into a wonderful flow.

And to Night_Rocker. Something can't be very mediocre, the word can't be qualified. Don't use a pretentious word unless you know how to use it.

Advertisement