Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board limbo

Options
  • 16-02-2007 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

I know this is surely in the wrong place so feel free to move.
    I just went to post in the soccer forum only to find out you have to request access to it. Rules state that you have to be on bboards for two months and have 50 posts.

I do a lot more reading than writing on boards so I've just reached fifty posts and was eligible to post there.

Just thinking, what if I didn't have fifty posts, would it be better to spam for a while till I was allowed to request access to the board or just post in the wrong forum?
    Also if you've just joined and you've a real strong interest in soccer, is it really fair that you cant have your say for two months?

Btw, I'm not whinging, I've sent in my request, just interested on what people think about such a popular topic as soccer being a restricted board?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

You are just trolling, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

100 posts and he gets a FREE MUG!

Its a popular topic alright OP but you have to admit it would be an easy one to have lot of trouble in - I think its a good solution to a potentially very bad problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

RuggieBear wrote:
    You are just trolling, right?
    Jesus Christ, not everything is trolling! I asked for people's opinions on the subject. Do you even know what trolling is?

No just wondering because I'm sure the first forum some members go to post in is soccer only to find out that they have to wait months. Just looking for opinions, do you think this is fair. Or does it need to be like that to stop people spamming it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It's set up like that for a reason. I hope you don't get access.

6th wrote:
    100 posts and he gets a FREE MUG!

Its a popular topic alright OP but you have to admit it would be an easy one to have lot of trouble in - I think its a good solution to a potentially very bad problem.

Where's my mug? I demand a mug :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Before the access request system was brought in, there used to be a basis where a well established user sponsored other people who wanted to join the forum so they would be responsible for the user. If you were around for the amount of rubbish (my team is better than your team) then you will realise why the system needs to be put in place. (I think that is roughly how it went, it has been a while)

Also as mentioned in Feedback before, one of the soccer moderators mentioned than even with the request system in place that majority of applications received aren't even correct so it is obviously no one is reading the application rules and if they can't read simple instructions then they need not bother applying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

raido9 wrote:
    I know this is surely in the wrong place so feel free to move.
    I just went to post in the soccer forum only to find out you have to request access to it. Rules state that you have to be on bboards for two months and have 50 posts.

I do a lot more reading than writing on boards so I've just reached fifty posts and was eligible to post there.

Just thinking, what if I didn't have fifty posts, would it be better to spam for a while till I was allowed to request access to the board or just post in the wrong forum?
    Also if you've just joined and you've a real strong interest in soccer, is it really fair that you cant have your say for two months?

Btw, I'm not whinging, I've sent in my request, just interested on what people think about such a popular topic as soccer being a restricted board?

Why you posting here? Why not feedback? Why not wait the time like every one else as there is a reason that there is rules to getting in to the soccer forum

Just send me your credit card details to confirm your ID and I'll ship it right away.

petes wrote:
    It's set up like that for a reason. I hope you don't get access.
    Sorry, it wasn't made clear to me that we weren't allowed to discuss board rules. I didn't state it should be changed or anything, just wanted to know what people think.

Could you let me know why your getting so touchy, and why you hope I dont get access to it? Did you have a nasty experience with a noob on the soccer forum or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

a mug?? stand up for yer rights, you're owed at least 13 mugs :D

• Advertisement

Thanks Ruu for the only decent reply in this thread. I can understand why it is that way. I wasn't saying it was wrong or had to be changed, just wanted to bring the topic up.
    kearnsr wrote:
    Why you posting here? Why not feedback? Why not wait the time like every one else as there is a reason that there is rules to getting in to the soccer forum
    Kearnsr, I have no problem waiting, just trying to have a bit of a discussion. But its clear that you cant even suggest that something might not be completely perfect with boards without a load of half-wit posters thinking your trying to knock their precious forum.

Not everything is an attack. And again thanks ruu for a mature response

Hey raido, my first response was good!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

raido9 wrote:
    Did you have a nasty experience with a noob on the soccer forum or something?
    Jeez... didn't you know? His parents were killed right in front of his eyes by soccer forum noobs when he was just a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Jeez... didn't you know? His parents were killed right in front of his eyes by soccer forum noobs when he was just a kid.

I still have nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

raido9 wrote:
    Thanks Ruu for the only decent reply

Thats cos Ruu is a good moderator and actually contributes to feeback, unlike most of the others who are only intrested in mugs and postcounts...... ;)

..............................................bring it on !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

raido9 they are the rules and policies if you don't like them or agree with them then I suggest that you look for another place to post about soccer as the system for here is tried and tested and unlikely to change any time soon.

6th wrote:
    Hey raido, my first response was good!
    Fair enough, dont have any medal to give you though.

raido9 wrote:
    Fair enough, dont have any medal to give you though.

If you could put the medal on a mug, im sure it would make his whole week !! :D

Thaedydal wrote:
    raido9 they are the rules and policies if you don't like them or agree with them then I suggest that you look for another place to post about soccer as the system for here is tried and tested and unlikely to change any time soon.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about.... read the posts, I dont have a problem with it, I didn't ask for them to be changed at all. Love the attitude though, 'it you dont agree with us you can f*ck off'.

Ye really should chill out, its not like I called you mother a whore or anything!

oleras wrote:
    If you could put the medal on a mug, im sure it would make his whole week !! :D

Even the ide of it makes my hole weak!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The soccor board was easily the most troublesome on the site, so very strict measures were needed.

Honestly, there are always going to be a few who do have to be patient, but it works out well in the end as we don't have a board that's overflowing with hostility and personal attacks, not to mention being nigh on unmanagable. I suppose seeing as you weren't around for the troubled times, you probably wouldn't have understood the reason behind the countermeasures.

To be fair to others in this thread though, you do seem to take a lot of issue with boards, raido9. I can see why someone would call you a troll.

6th wrote:
    my hole weak!

How did you know i had writen that first but decided to delete it ? ?

Are you one of those psycho people they have on living TV ? ;)

To be fair to others in this thread though, you do seem to take a lot of issue with boards, raido9. I can see why someone would call you a troll.
    You do have a point, I have been a little opposing lately. I admit and apologize. But my original post in this thread was not hostile in the slightest. I didn't state once that there was a problem or that anything should be changed.
    I really don't see a problem with challenging the rules on boards or decisions of mod ect. Only good can come out of discussing things like this, as if it is right, it should be reinforced after discussion and if its wrong that should become clear in the discussion too.

I will take it easy from now on though, didn't realise people were so easily offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

admitedly he wouldn't have to ask these stupid ****ing questions if the search worked properly and he could see the countless previous explanations about the soccer forum and its access issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

raido9 wrote:
    This is exactly what I'm talking about.... read the posts, I dont have a problem with it, I didn't ask for them to be changed at all. Love the attitude though, 'it you dont agree with us you can f*ck off'.

Ye really should chill out, its not like I called you mother a whore or anything!

I kindly stated what the policy was and that it was not put in place lightly and explained what your options are and you get snotty. Charming.

oleras wrote:
    How did you know i had writen that first but decided to delete it ? ?

Are you one of those psycho people they have on living TV ? ;)

I'm walking around in your mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Basically, people are easily riled about insulting comments made towards their favourite soccer team. This tends to lead to bitching and then personal insults and the whole place falls apart.

The waiting period is (as I understand) in place so that the mods can check the previous posts of the the potential member and judge for themselves whether or not that person will be a valuable contributor to the soccer forum.

soccer sucks
    /runs for cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

raido9 wrote:
    That'd be great. It would very quickly identify you as someone who shouldn't be given access to the board, making the soccer moderators forum job easier.
    raido9 wrote:
    Who is this creep that's going around telling people that life is fair? They've got a lot to answer for if you ask me.
    raido9 wrote:
    Obviously its down to one of two things.
    Either:
    1. Previous experience made the rule a good idea.
    2. It was just set up that way for the laugh.
    Which seems more likely to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Fair enough if the Soccer board is a minefield, but thats not the fault of the access requesters! People apply and get a reply like: 'read the rules', thread locked. Thats just arsehole behaviour. At least tell the guy/gal what they've done wrong. I still dont know why I didn't get access, and given the attitude of the mods, I wont be re-applying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ok, basically it works like this.

There was a stage, where soccer was a horror show. Certain users did nothing but troll, flame and bait and it became a hobby of a select few, to get other users (usually from opposing teams supporters) to break the rules and get themselves banned.

This made the forum pretty much and unenjoyable experience for everyone (bar those trolls).

After closure, the forum was reopened with a sponsorship system in place. Established posters had to vouch for new members and vouching for someone ran the risk of getting banned if that person broke the rules.

As things calmed down and the forum became more sensible overall, the access method was changed to one less demanding on the users overall.

At present there are certain prerequisites to get access:

1: 2 month membership - this prevents people signing up when they get banned or having multiple accountsin the forum.

2: 50 posts - this was instigated by me when I realised that there were soccer posters who were registering accounts, letting them sit and then applying for access.

3: Read the Charter and agree to comply with the rules - basically this should be a must for any fourm, but this means that when someone does break a rule they get banned - I'm fairly much for zero tolerance on soccer - you've agreed to behave when applying for access - if you don't, you only have yourself to blame for getting banned - as after all, you agreed to abide bythe rules.

Personally, I check the last 20 posts of all applicants I let in. If I see 20 posts of spam, they don't get access. If I see alot of trolling or an agenda, they don't get access.

If anyone can think of a method that meets the criteria above that is better than what is in place, by all means, make suggestions.
    zuutroy wrote:
    Fair enough if the Soccer board is a minefield, but thats not the fault of the access requesters! People apply and get a reply like: 'read the rules', thread locked. Thats just arsehole behaviour. At least tell the guy/gal what they've done wrong. I still dont know why I didn't get access, and given the attitude of the mods, I wont be re-applying.

Whatis the fault of the access requesters is whether or not they read the application procedure.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're not willing to take the time to read how to apply properly, then you don't deserve a response to your request, nevermind access to soccer.

It all there in big bold writing, stickied at the top of the forum, it is hard to miss really - yet people honestly don't bother. Once, I had 8, yes 8 threads where the people just copied and pasted what the previous applicant had posted. Of course, the first applicant hadn't bothered to read the access rules or charter, so I got 8 identical incorrect applications.

Now, if these people aren't willing to take the time or courtesy to read a big sign that says "READ THIS OR YOU WON'T GET ACCESS" .... what exactly do I owe them from my time?

Advertisement