Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credits for previous study (OU)

Options
  • 05-01-2007 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

I'm about to start Object Oriented programming with java (M255) with the OU. Im aiming towards getting a degree in computing.
    I have passed the first year of computer science with Trinity college but unfortunatley I wont know how much of a dispensation they will give me for that.

Would any of you wise folks be able to give me a ball park estimate on what one year of a similar degree is worth in points?

It would really help to put my mind at rest, I'm feeling a bit daunted by the cost and the many long years of study involved at the moment so any good news on them being generous with dispensation of points would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Short answer, I don't know, but since the degree with the OU will require 360 credits and the standard year in England is 120 credits, then I would guess that you will either get 120 credits for that or they will judge it to be 1/4 of a degree in which case you will get 90. The OU office in Dublin should be able to help you out with more reliable information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

ecksor wrote:
    Short answer, I don't know, but since the degree with the OU will require 360 credits and the standard year in England is 120 credits, then I would guess that you will either get 120 credits for that or they will judge it to be 1/4 of a degree in which case you will get 90. The OU office in Dublin should be able to help you out with more reliable information.

Thanks Ecksor! I was a bit worried someone was going to say 20 or 30 points. I'll get on to OU Dublin and ask them but I have the feeling I asked them when I was talking to them before and they couldnt tell me.
    I suppose I'll know in a month or two anyway.

Advertisement