Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matlab - Guitar Tuner

Options
  • 16-02-2007 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Ok, I am making a BASIC guitar tuner.
    • Reads/records input from sound card
    • I Fourier Transform it
    • Find the Fundamental frequency.
    but my fundamental frequency does not match the note being played! :(
    I am just trying to get the Fundamental frequency to match the note for now.

Has anyone made a Tuner is matlab before? any idea anyone?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I've never used Matlab but I've worked with fourier transforms before. Can I ask what note is being played and what frequency your FT is spitting out? Its possible its picking up one of the stronger harmonics instead of the fundamental. Compare the frequency its picking up against the note names on this chart:

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/notes.html

If the output frequency is, say, double what you were expecting then its probably picking up a harmonic.

For testing/debugging purposes I'd suggest using a sound source other than a guitar. A pure sine wave with a known frequency would be ideal as it has no harmonics.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭wheatln2

Redegg wrote:
    Ok, I am making a BASIC guitar tuner.
    • Reads/records input from sound card
    • I Fourier Transform it
    • Find the Fundamental frequency.
    but my fundamental frequency does not match the note being played! :(
    I am just trying to get the Fundamental frequency to match the note for now.

Has anyone made a Tuner is matlab before? any idea anyone?

Cheers.

Hey redegg, chances are the guitar's fundamental frequency ain't being picked up. To be certain try something like this, http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html , which will just output a pure frequency which will be of some use to you perhaps?

Advertisement