Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfield FM Sabatcial Election Videos

Options
  • 16-02-2007 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

I apologise to the Mods as I havnt heard back from them on posting these but due to Dajaffa's enthusiasm I have had to put my plans forward as would a James Bond Villan when his evil deeds have been outsted.

Belfield FM has taken the liberty of recording the Sabatical election debates will all candidates incuding RON. At the moment we only have Education and Presidential but soon to Follow will come Dep Pres and The Amazing Ron .

We put these up for your information and discussion hence the seperate thread.

Belfield Fm apologises for the regretable mess our weblink has been but we rely on private companies and the college who work very hard but as we all know the more bits a machine has the more likely it is to break.

Presidential Part 1

Presidential Part 2

Presidental Part 3

Education Part 1

Education Part 2

Education Part 3

Enjoy

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Well, you didn't PM me. It's "hullaballoo". Four "l"s.

Edit: Btw, I don't mind in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Good job. We might as well get rid of CTN and leave Belfield fm to do the job:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Does this now qualify as an SU thread where people have to declare affiliations on the Sticky before posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Does this now qualify as an SU thread where people have to declare affiliations on the Sticky before posting?

Calm down, hulla's the mod, I'm sure he'll let people know if that's necessary.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yes, of course it's an SU thread. It involves the discussion of SU candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

CTN are already covering it.

Dontico wrote:
    CTN are already covering it.
    And when, pray tell, might we therefore see this valuable CTN footage? I don't know of any candidate that's been filmed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

i have nothing to do with it. when are the elections?

Tuesday and Wednesday week, the 27th and 28th of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Sorry CTN are doing a show on the life of a candidate from their beginnings to the election night. I dont know which candidate and I have met them all by now but good luck to CTN.

In the meantime to keep all you lovely hacks drooling mouths the Ents debate was a blast.

Here is part one

Ents Part 1

• Advertisement

Great Presidential interview. Congrats guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

thanks Hulla.

All the videos for all positions have been uploaded today and should be available on

www.belfieldfm.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I would have voted in the upcoming elections only if the opportunity was presented and wouldn't have gone out of my way to do so. These interviews have changed that and I really commend BellfieldFM on this - CTN should really have gotten their act together to display these on their screens around campus, I think it would really spur up some enthusiasm amongst students to vote.

As an aside, I hadn't strong feelings regarding the new Ents officer till now. I had heard Holly wasn't doing the best of jobs but being in my first year here I didn't have anything to compare it to and thought that the big electro nights out that I went to were pretty well organised and well postered (even though I understand that there was a bit of a fiasco with the VAT with Justice and they made a bit of a loss). However, having watched the ents debate video I am compelled to vote so as to make sure that Laura Greene doesn't get the post. I know nothing of the three candidates, have no SU affiliations and understand that my opinion is wholly based on the video - she could in fact make an excellent officer - but after watching her obnoxious and somewhat ignorant performance I shudder to think what she could do with the reigns of the organisation. Anyone else have any opinions on the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Ents 2 & 3 don't seem to be there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

yeah i lot of them are inaccessible

this could just be cos they have only just been upped, takes a while sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

Hey, Kev here, Sorry i took a break on saturday from editing and uploading and only finally got the rest up sunday evening. They're all up now, 00.15 in the AM. However last time i checked they're not accessable. By tomorrow i'd say they will be. it might well have something to do with me posting 90minutes of stuff within only an hour.

I would ask all of you to mention these videos to your friends before they go out and vote, not just the debates but the interviews with the unopposed candidates.

We've also kicked the idea around the office of putting up a Re-Open Nominations or RON interview. Just as a joke, but also on a serious note that a lot of people DID and still DO NOT know that there is an election and that they could have run.

Thats why each video in the blurb it says "For your consideration". SO you wont just watch it and go... "yea s/he is ok" but that you'll think about it.

Enjoy. visit www.belfieldfm.ie for all the links... and possibly full videos rather than the broken up ones whenever i can find the will to run windows movie maker again.

Jesus, I feel out of breath just reading that post! Fair play to you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

jimi_t wrote:
    <snip> Anyone else have any opinions on the matter?
    I thought that all the Ents candidates came across as total arseholes [imho of course] and I've spoken to 2 out of 3 of them before and they seemed ok-ish but not in that video. They have two weeks to impress me with manifestos, lecture adresses etc. otherwise I'm voting RON.

I'm really torn between two of the education VP candidates, I'm looking forward to seeing the manifestos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Scraggs wrote:
    I thought that all the Ents candidates came across as total arseholes [imho of course] and I've spoken to 2 out of 3 of them before and they seemed ok-ish but not in that video. They have two weeks to impress me with manifestos, lecture adresses etc. otherwise I'm voting RON.

There was only one arsehole amongst the Ents candidates and that was the Holly clone, she didnt have a clue and the amount of inaccurate comments she threw about (most were vendettas against B&L and Dance/Electro music) were ridiculous. Fair play to Stephen Quinlivan for being strong and chopping her down to pieces with real facts, he totally pwnd her loike!

Well in the other ones I thought the Education candidates were ok, thankfully they are aware of all the crap the college is putting on students but there was too much finger pointing and a lack of solutions on their part, Lynam just about won that round for me but I'm find it odd none of them touched on the Autumn repeats situation. Still RON for me at d mo.
    Welfare guys were very meh, Colfer and Brennan were very good but it was easier for them to speak without competition.

Anyway good work Grimes, HappyCrackHead and the BFM crew :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Plain_Jane

There was only one arsehole amongst the Ents candidates and that was the Holly clone, she didnt have a clue and the amount of inaccurate comments she threw about (most were vendettas against B&L and Dance/Electro music) were ridiculous.

I don't see why people have a problem with Laura. She isn't a clone of Holly, and isn't trying to be anyone but herself.

Regarding B&L and dance music, her words were twisted. She has nothing against either, and was simply making a point that there were far more b&l related events this year than most other societies, and she would like more diversity when it comes to live acts in the Student bar. I agree with her on the point that two of the most remembered events were Justice and Erol Alkan, but I can't think of many more big names that weren't techno/dance. She didn't say that they weren't good. Sure, she could have put her point accross a little better, but she didn't need to be put down.
    I personally loved Justice and would have liked to have gone to Erol Alkan, but it would be great it there were more acts of this high standard in a wider range, and I think this is what she was aiming at.
    I thought it quite unprofessional of Stephan Quinlivan to rest his head in his arms while Laura was speaking at one point. I also think that Kate O'Hanlon had personal preferences.

Fair enough, I do know Laura, although not very well. I think she deserves the post because she has worked very hard as far as I have seen, and she is a friendly, charismatic person. I have read all the manifestos, and hers is the one I favour. Stephen Quinlivan says a lot of things in his, most of which are do-able, but very few of which appealed to me. I'm voting not because of personal affiliations, if I could even call it that, but for who I believe deserves it, and for who reaches out to benifit everyone, which is exactly what Laura Greene will do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Lynam wrote:
    I have a real love of education.

Lol.

All I can see in there really is more and more meaningless platitudes about "communication errors" blah blah etc...

Like..
    Regan wrote:
    Since first year the college has been quite lax in communicating with students effectively...Communication is something that needs to be improved..I’d send some letters to improve communication...You need effective communication coming from the schools....

And then even..
    Shanahan wrote:
    There is a case to be made for opening up the union better – putting up posters if necessary.......

Again, "Lol."

I really hate this misconception that's around about "communication". Sure, if we just had everything explained to us more clearly, then everything would be grand. Heaven forbid we might entertain the radical notion that actually, most of us are getting ****ed sideways on loads of things and no amount of explaining, communication or apologia from the college will change that.

Bitter much? Yah.

Nobody wants an Education Officer who will merely "explain" the college's position more clearly to me or act as some sort of apologist and midway man for unpopular decisions, "communicating" them better to students.

Argh, bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Plain_Jane wrote:
    I thought it quite unprofessional of Stephan Quinlivan to rest his head in his arms while Laura was speaking at one point. I also think that Kate O'Hanlon had personal preferences.
    I'm Kate for anyone who doesn't know already..

Think what you like and all, but I won't be here next year, I've never given that much of a toss about ents, and I don't know any of the candidates personally (and considering history in the union I consider it quite funny that ents of all things is the race I'm accused of being biased about) so any personal preferences were made during the course of the interviews and I have tried my best throughout the interview process not to let my personal opinions of candidates shine through. I gave all candidates an equal chance to speak, I challenged Laura when she made what I felt was an unfair and untrue comment and I'd stand over that decision, if you think that's bias then we'll have to agree to disagree.

(Though my apologies must go to Peter, who I called Paul during the entire interview. My only defence there is that it was Friday and it had been a long week).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Vainglory wrote:
    Lol.

All I can see in there really is more and more meaningless platitudes about "communication errors" blah blah etc...

Like..

And then even..

Again, "Lol."

I really hate this misconception that's around about "communication". Sure, if we just had everything explained to us more clearly, then everything would be grand. Heaven forbid we might entertain the radical notion that actually, most of us are getting ****ed sideways on loads of things and no amount of explaining, communication or apologia from the college will change that.

Bitter much? Yah.

Nobody wants an Education Officer who will merely "explain" the college's position more clearly to me or act as some sort of apologist and midway man for unpopular decisions, "communicating" them better to students.

Argh, bull****.
    I think you're the only one I've ever heard speak such true words. Its unbelievable how rightly screwed we are on these things that this years officer has been very "Oh well they have our interests in mind"

It scares me that the same attitude may come about with the new batch :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Plain_Jane

I'm Kate for anyone who doesn't know already..

Think what you like and all, but I won't be here next year, I've never given that much of a toss about ents, and I don't know any of the candidates personally (and considering history in the union I consider it quite funny that ents of all things is the race I'm accused of being biased about) so any personal preferences were made during the course of the interviews and I have tried my best throughout the interview process not to let my personal opinions of candidates shine through. I gave all candidates an equal chance to speak, I challenged Laura when she made what I felt was an unfair and untrue comment and I'd stand over that decision, if you think that's bias then we'll have to agree to disagree.

(Though my apologies must go to Petter, who I called Paul during the entire interview. My only defence there is that it was Friday and it had been a long week).

Ok, fair enough. I just thought she got cut across more than anyone there, and I felt it was all based on her saying that she thought there was too many big dance events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

To be fair, I can see why Kate cut across herself and Stephen, because it looked like it was in danger of becoming a bit of a spat. I thought Laura showed herself up quite well, as did Mallon. I also thought that (as B&L have been so heavily involved in the successful Ents events this year) Quinlivan should have been stressing his ability to bring something different other than what we already saw this year to the table. I won't be voting for same-old-same-old, even if I'm not going to be here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Quinlivan said he wanted to get Mogwai in his manifesto

thats my vote right there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Plain_Jane wrote:
    I don't see why people have a problem with Laura. She isn't a clone of Holly, and isn't trying to be anyone but herself.

Regarding B&L and dance music, her words were twisted. She has nothing against either, and was simply making a point that there were far more b&l related events this year than most other societies, and she would like more diversity when it comes to live acts in the Student bar. I agree with her on the point that two of the most remembered events were Justice and Erol Alkan, but I can't think of many more big names that weren't techno/dance. She didn't say that they weren't good. Sure, she could have put her point accross a little better, but she didn't need to be put down.

Firstly, I just said the clone bit as she's blonde and girl wasn't meant to be insulting in anyway at all

I actually agreed with the spirit of some of her points particularly about having smaller acts, even though I would agree with Stephen's point that they probably wont be practical as they would be less likely to make profit.

However her constant referal to the B&L wasn't on and with with Stephen been auditor of that society and a rival candidate was only going to hit back at her comment and he was completely right to. B&L have not monopolised Ents, they have saved Ents' ass this year and doing the Justice and Alkan gigs with Ents benefited both parties. She failed to acknowledge that her comment about 3 consecutive big gigs was wrong after Stephen corrected her on it, that was stubborn.

Personally I thought some of her comments were naive and yes some of her words were twisted and like Stephen I felt like putting my head in my arms (its on radio and its a different environment so I dont see what was unprofessional) but at the end of the day a debate is a debate, they're in competition and they'll snap on something if their competitor has made an error on something.

From the interview and a poor address she gave in one of my lectures and i dont think she realises the task required, Irvine and Ents have found out the hard way this year and Ents needs someone who has an idea what they're doing and experience, Stephen has that. That's not to say I agree with everything he says, I think having the Freshers ball at week 1 and the UCD ball at week 3 is not practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭terry mac

Laura definitely hit the right chords with some people, including me, regarding both the B + L bias and the emphasis on Dance acts this year. I'd never heard of Erol Alkin but a friend thought it was the best thing to happen to UCD in a long while. Laura's point that there were three in quick succession may not have been entirely accurate, but they were 3 "big ones" out of how many total "big ones" in that period. You'll always be able to sell out these gigs, but if its the same 300/400 people going its not really meeting the ents job description. Diversity is all well and good as long as you don't forget the middle ground.

The B+L thing pi**es alot of people off aswell. Ents money is provided by all the students and consistently running events with B+L may be alright for a short term solution but thats it. If Ents is constantly relying on B+L then it means Ents have failed.

Having said all that, I do feel a twinge of regret that my vote did in the end go to Holly ahead of Redmond after however many preferences. I think Ents is the one position that you should not vote by your general impression of the persons involved i.e. the one position that i mite vote for someone even if I get the impression he's a bit of a di**. It is about running events, being competent etc. so I'm leaning towards Stephen Quinlaven at this stage.

If it wasn't for BnL's help, I don't think Ents would have had anywhere near as successful (to whatever extent it was successful) a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

I think having the Freshers ball at week 1 and the UCD ball at week 3 is not practical.

why not?

Advertisement