Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New fibreglass board damaged - Help!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

Hairline cracks like the ones in your photos are normal enough on fibreglass boards. However, it is very unusual to get so many after a single use.

The glassing job on the board is obviously not up to "scratch" (pardon the pun) and clearly very thin.

Notwithstanding all this I wouldn't be too worried about any water damage. It's normal for fibreglass to develop cracks in on the surface around the stringer. As long as they don't allow water into the foam you should be OK.

Are you by any chance getting to your feet in a series of movements, kneeling before standing? If yes it's a sure fire way of pressure dinging your board and inhibiting your surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnG23

Cheers for the reply, appreciated.

The fact that it happens gives me some solace but it had to be shoddy craftsmanship. I have a good pop-up technique and it is basically one smooth movement so I don't think it's that. I definitly don't use my knees. I did, however, lend it to my friend and his technique wouldn't be hectic (Bad idea i suppose).I still don't think it should cause cracks to happen that easily. Will the foam start turning yellow underneath if water is being taken on and is it possible to repair this area along the stringer with new glass if the skin has been breached? The hastle of returning it would be a bitch.
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

john do you mind me asking what brand the board is?

My bear board had the same problem but it kept being borrowed by people in the surf club (with my permission and sometimes from being offered from me) and it had the same problem but that didnt happen after one surf.

I think this is common and not a major problem either, iv seen loads of boards go like that and i dont think they result in leakage, if the entire board was having the same problem then id be worried.

Also where have you stored the board since you bought it? It could have gotten sun damaged. If this is a board from a reputable manufacture/shaper they should have no problem discussing with you as to why this problem arised and could offer advice on repair/replace and if it is going to be a problem that may get worse.

You will find most surf shop owners in Ireland are pretty okay and helpfull, iv had dealings with alot of them and i know if you contact them directly they will put u in direct contact with the shaper.

Hi neon,

I have treated it like a baby since I bought it and apart from putting it into a glass showcase, I could not have minded it any better. I never left it in the sun so it's not that.
    It's an ns board and I think I will contact the shaper as you said. It's a downer because the board is pretty good in the water.

good call JohnG23 i would inform the shop aswell if i were you and please do let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

1: how much smaller than your bic is it?
    2: is the board comp glassed or heavy?

The board is five inches shorter than the bic and I have no idea what the glassing specs are. It is my first fibreglass board, but I should have got a 6oz layer on the deck. I'll know the next time.

As for the contacting of the shaper and shop; the shapers webpage went down and the shop ignored my email. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

fibreglass board will ding! nigel builds good boards, but unless you get a custom built all his boards are comp spec 2x4oz deck 1x4oz bottom

with the board being shorter than the bic it is also going to have a lot less float in it which means you are probably scrabbling a bit to pop with the float difference.

the dings on the board also look like knee marks from either duck diving or popping (all along the stringer)

nigel is very helpfull usually, but he isnt very good with computers.

if you are really pissed give the shop a call in the uk and get the factory number and speak to him, but from making a few boards myself it looks like normal wear and tear from comp glassing.

:o)

I understand fibreglass is fragile and I tried to be as careful as possible. I just did not expect the board to crack so easily after paying 500 quid for it. As I had no previous experience with glass fibre boards, you will have to excuse me for being so obtuse on this matter.
    As for wear and tear, I didn't realise it could be so profound after two hours. I was pissed, but some of the comments on this thread have helped. Not going to bother with it any more, got ripped off IMO and will just hope it stays together for a couple of years.
    I still can't see why a a shortboard over 7' would have a light glass job. Surely only intermediates and heavier surfers would use them?
    Thanks for the help anyway to everyone who contributed.

You should take a trip into the shop instead of emailing them john or call them, especially if there not to far away, as for the shaper calling him might be an idea, i dont think you should leave it go especially if you feel unhappy about the situation and there might actually be a problem with the board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Just to rule out the obvious but I presume you brought it to and from the beach in a board bag?

yep, definitely didn't happen enroute.
    I saw the deck bumps (depressions) when I was surfing and they increased in number as I continued surfing but the stringer area, where the cracks propagated from, was covered in wax and I didn't spot the cracks until I got home.

have you tried going into the shop yet?

Advertisement