Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD tv for the novice

Options
  • 16-02-2007 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Thinking of trading in my Old Beko crt for a new LCD.

For a total noob out there is there any advise on what to go for?
    From what I can tell Samsung seem quite good, there is a 32" on Komplett for €999. Anyone any opinion on samsung?

I was in a retail store recently and I was surprised by the difference in image quality of the display models across the different brands. Samsung & LG seemed the better.

Also is the onboard audio quality sifficient with flat screen tv's or would seperate multi speakers be necessary.?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I have the Samsung LE32R74BDX exact same model as on Komplett .. picture is mostly excellent, though not enough configuration settings for my liking... there are a couple of pre-defined settings which seem to work the best (movie mode in particular makes flesh tones look a bit more accurate than the default).
    I use it 90% for UK freeview, and its stunning on a lot of the stations... haven't actually tried any HD sources with it yet though.
    I'd say its definitely value for money (and better than anything at a comparable price-range that I came across), but watch out on the single HDMI input, not really future-proof if you intend to purchase a few HDMI sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 felix60

If you are unsure about which product is best check read expert reviews.
    Using PriceGrabber.com (http://www.pricegrabber.com/info_expertreviews.php/masterid=17646061) I came across a cool site that list all expert reviews for a product in a single page. I hope this helps: http://www.smartratings.com/electronics/plasma_and_lcds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Kevin2006

From what I can tell Samsung seem quite good, there is a 32" on Komplett for €999. Anyone any opinion on samsung?

Im getting this lcd in a few weeks myself. I have found a number of british sites that are selling it alot cheaper then e999, the cheapest I found was 525 sterling which is around 775 euro. Go to price grabber and type in the model number and you'll get a list of prices. You could save yourself some cash;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 felix60

This is just my two cents. There are two models to choose from depending on what the requirements are.

First is the Samsung LN-S3241D. CNET review has this to say about it, "Built for those who want to enjoy an ultra-sharp picture from an ultra-thin TV. In general, a wide aspect display such as this one is well suited for DVD movies recorded in the popular 16:9 format, as well as high definition programming."

The other is Samsung LN-S3251D. lcdtvbuyingguide.com described it in this manner, "The Samsung LN-S3251D LCD TV is a flat-panel LCD that combines sleek style and high definition in equal measure. Its 4000:1 dynamic contrast ratio creates an intensely color-saturated picture in crisp focus. With two HDMI inputs that allow connectivity to a wide range of digital devices, the LN-S3251D is one of the most versatile models on the market. Also features a sleek bottom-mounted speaker design, a swivel table stand, PC input and Enhanced Game Mode for video gaming."

Hope this helps.

Advertisement