Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Value of a Golf

Options
  • 16-02-2007 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

My father, having been won over by an E30 BMW 325i auto, is going to sell his Golf. It's a 1996 1.8 5dr automatic, in dark green metallic. The car is unusual in that it has under 27,000 miles, backed up by a full service history and a recent cambelt change. It also has a very high factory specification, including air conditioning (ice cold), an electric sunroof, twin airbags, 4 electric windows, rear headrests, a cd/radio and an expensive alarm/immobiliser. He's in no hurry to sell, and feels that the car is worth €5,000. It's a lot for a 96 Golf, but then again the car is pretty much unique. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1.8 auto is rare.

Spec. at that age doesn't add value afaik.

Mileage is attractive (tiny) but needs to be backed up by a fsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

Mileage would actually put me off tbh. I have no doubt its genuine, but i would far prefer a 96 car to have around 60k miles on it than 27,000 which suggests it was lying idle for long long periods of time....not good for a car

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Remarkable spec! I doubt very much though he'll get anywhere near €5k. Can he "help out" a friend / family member by selling it to them for a more realistic price?

Or maybe advertise it on an enthousiasts website? The Mark 3s are getting rare these days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Mileage would actually put me off tbh. I have no doubt its genuine, but i would far prefer a 96 car to have around 60k miles on it than 27,000 which suggests it was lying idle for long long periods of time....not good for a car

Low mileage wouldn't bother me in the slightest - as long as the car had proof that it had it's annual services.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The car has always been serviced annually regardless of mileage, by VW main dealers until two years ago and by an unfranchised garage since, backed up by stamps & invoices. He would much rather it went to someone we know, but there just doesn't seem to be anyone we know looking for a car at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

What NCT on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

hellboy99 wrote:
    What NCT on it ?
    I actually have no idea, sorry! I'd be pretty sure it'd pass one today, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

If it were to have 2 years test on it your looking at €3000 - 3500, you may even get 4000 off a Golf fan as it's a rare car and has low mileage and a FSH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

wow, it certainly is unique, not too many Golf's with air-con of that vintage - heck, they've only just started making it a standard feature 11 years later!

Was it bought from new in Ireland? Must have been a rare special-order if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be honest I don't think even the best Golf enthusiast is going to pay anywhere near €5k for an 11 year old one.

Yes the very high spec, low mileage, service history and tlc that the car received will be very attractive to a potential buyer but the basic fact is that most people looking at cars of this age are not looking to spend alot of money. Also the fact that it is 1.8 litre petrol and an auto might put some people off.

If he is under no pressure to sell he might be able to hold out and get between €3,000 and €3,500 for it. Other than that he might be better off running it into the ground, I'd say he would find it tough going to find a 325i with that spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Has he had the car from new? If not, for how long? €5k seems a lot for an 11 year-old car, even with that spec, low miles and SH.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

Not going to be worth much as its 1.8 and Auto. Not very desirable and only a small market out there for that type of car.

Advertisement