Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions for users of Nokia wifi phones

• 16-02-2007 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting one, E65, and have a few questions
    1. Do they accept security keys, WEP, WPA-PSK, etc so as to log on to routers?
    2. Would Truphone work reliably. Meaning once I have it set up at home can I then just makes calls as I want, without having to fiddle each time?

I've never used VOIP, and never taken my wifi laptop beyond my own house and the house of a few friends where I have been able to use their wifi once I had entered their WEP key. Yeah, yeah WEP is not secure, but I think Linux geeks with wifi monitoring capable setup are thin on the ground around here.
    Thanks

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've only used the Nokia N80 and N91 with WEP wifi. It worked fine. From the top of my head, it accepted ASCII and Hex codes keys up to 128bit. Nokia site would probably confirm/refute that.

No idea about VoIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

My E61 is setup for WPA shared key. Works fine.

dohouch wrote:

2. Would Truphone work reliably. Meaning once I have it set up at home can I then just makes calls as I want, without having to fiddle each time?

I've never used VOIP, and never taken my wifi laptop beyond my own house and the house of a few friends where I have been able to use their wifi once I had entered their WEP key. Yeah, yeah WEP is not secure, but I think Linux geeks with wifi monitoring capable setup are thin on the ground around here.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Thanks for the answers, on that one about logging onto routers.

Anyone experienced with using a Nokia wifi phone and a VOIP provider/application.

Oh,just saw some photos taken with E65 on mobile-review.com and they were not good, in fact they were off-putting, but then probably average for a Nokia 2Megapx.
    http://forum2.mobile-review.com/showpost.php?p=529732&postcount=18

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

right thanks for sorting all that. my other question is does anyone know of an instant messenger for the likes of the n95 that will work with wifi? i think agile will do it but it aint free so id prefer one that is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 smithdogg AU

I bought an E65 in Singapore on the way over here and it is great

I have used the WLAN to browse the net and am just doing my research for setting up VOIP - sounds like it will work fine (fingers crossed!)

Currently thinking about using barablu.com

anyone else got any experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

E61/wifi/Gizmo works fine for voip. Use it regularly.
    There are many others that are even easier to set up.

Check some Nokia E61 blogs there are walkthroughs, same principle for other S60/9.1 smartphones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Currently thinking about using barablu.com,anyone else got any experience?

no personal experience, but have be reading a bit about Truphone, I think they have tie ins with some public/cafe/hotel hot-spots, also around Dublin.

sweet

I'm guessing anything that the E61 works with will work with E65?

Just been reading up on voipbuster too.. sounds like it could be a goer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I use them alot in work and they can use WPA and wep. They may not be compatable with all routers unless you turn off the power saving mode in the advanced WiFi settings.

For VoIP the inbuilt client should work with most providers but can be a bit buggy sometimes (e.g. it doesn't always re-registrating properly). One thing to note is that there is no STUN or other NAT traversal builtin so you may have issues with one way sound, although I haven't seen any issues myself.

The E65 is a lovely phone. After that I would recommend the N80 but it doesn't have built in VoIP, it only has internet calling for video.

The N95 looks very nice but I haven't used one myself.

Biggest drawback with the E65 (for me) is it is not stereo sound

Love the wifi though and i got it at a great price

Camera is ordinary, no flash or anything, and no front camera

not sure about the STUN stuff yet - I though E65 might have some newer stuff in it - i'll figure that out down the track though i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Biggest drawback with the E65 (for me) is it is not stereo sound

Love the wifi though and i got it at a great price

Camera is ordinary, no flash or anything, and no front camera

not sure about the STUN stuff yet - I though E65 might have some newer stuff in it - i'll figure that out down the track though i guess
    no stereo speakers or it cant play mp3's in stereo...please say its the former!

hmm its definately only got one speaker

haven't tried plugging in a stereo headset to it but i wouldn't put money on it being stereo - it didn't come with stereo handsfree kit

definitely stereo..just checked,anyway all symbian 3rd edition phones have a streo playback.
    Nokia seems to be bundling only mono headset on their e-series phones..strange marketing,think its emphasis on enterprise phones not media phones (n-series)!!!

sweet that is great news! nice work there!
    i even got a 1 gig micro sd so i can chunk it up with mp3s and grab a stereo headset

sweet that is great news! nice work there!
    i even got a 1 gig micro sd so i can chunk it up with mp3s and grab a stereo headset
    no bother..im considering this phone too..want to go back to symbian,so are you overall happy with it..like do you use to its full extent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

My E61 works even with WPA2 and long pass phrases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

dohouch wrote:

Thanks

Yes: I often pop into cafes, restaurants etc to use their wifi and can easily and quickly enter the key. At least, I used to until I got the 3 datacard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

splinter wrote:
    right thanks for sorting all that. my other question is does anyone know of an instant messenger for the likes of the n95 that will work with wifi? i think agile will do it but it aint free so id prefer one that is...

fring?

damo86 wrote:
    no bother..im considering this phone too..want to go back to symbian,so are you overall happy with it..like do you use to its full extent?

Yeah mate real happy with it - last phone was an n70 so it wasn't too tough to adjust.. absolutely love the wi-fi on it though and looking forward to getting the voip working.

Haven't used any gprs or anything on it and haven't tried the conference calls.. also haven't mucked around with other symbian apps on it yet but once i get my pc setup here i'll start up with that again - my n70 and 6600 before that were pretty well set

another thing i want to do is get a bluetooth gps receiver and get some maps going.. all in good time i guess

Sorry if this is a bit off topic :)

Advertisement