Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD-DVD Rom does it upscale DVDs?

• 16-02-2007 6:11pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So far I've founds sites that says it does and others that dont.

Can any one confirm either way?

Got this

Does the HD-DVD addon upscale DVD's?

The drive is simply that a HD-DVD drive it can read DVD's but the xbox 360 plays the DVD as it would from the internal DVD drive. So no the addon does not upscale the picture. Although the xbox360 itself upscales DVD's when using VGA if the HD-DVD addon is connected or not.

from here but its confusing me.

Does it imply that if you use a vga cable regardless of you using the HD-DVD it upscales normal dvd?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Oh....i'd like to know too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

yeah, if you use vga it (the xbox) will upscale your dvd's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Julez wrote:
    yeah, if you use vga it (the xbox) will upscale your dvd's.

so no need to buy an upscaling dvd player so. Just a vga cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I had the hd dvd addon for a while ( brought it back as the motor was way too noisy - they didnt have a replacement so i got a refund... I've heard normally its very quiet )

Anyway i tried a dvd with the component and vga cables and I couldnt tell the difference. They were both ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I'm not sure if this has any relevance but before i got my HD-DVD drive for the 360 I'm sure it show on my screen that they were playing at 480p but since i got it its now saying that there playing at 576p. would this be the upscaling your talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Stokolan wrote:
    I'm not sure if this has any relevance but before i got my HD-DVD drive for the 360 I'm sure it show on my screen that they were playing at 480p but since i got it its now saying that there playing at 576p. would this be the upscaling your talking about?

Yes, you did see this. The last big update to the 360 Dash fixed this problem. All DVD's now play in native resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

As far as I know, the HD DVD drive WILL upscale DVDs but only using the VGA cable. Though the Composite cable is obviously capable of it, there are apparently some legal issues that don't allow it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

chrislad wrote:
    As far as I know, the HD DVD drive WILL upscale DVDs but only using the VGA cable. Though the Composite cable is obviously capable of it, there are apparently some legal issues that don't allow it.

The normal dvd player and vga cable will do this so its a bit of an over kill to get the HD-DVD player just to upscale (dont have any HD DVDs and wont for a while as they are expensive!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Is there any way to play foreign-region DVD's on the 360? I have a whole bunch of R1 stuff here.

Advertisement