Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salesonline Survey - Announcements?

• 16-02-2007 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

I seen this in announcements, yet I never seen the pop up, I tried both Firefox and Internet Explorer, yet nothing. Is it finished or not even started yet?.. I'd like to take part is all.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It says "should be tomorrow 14 Feb 2007". I guess it hasn't happened yet, perhaps the admins didn't get a chance to have a gawk at it or at least I haven't seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Aye, there has been a probelm with serving the survey for some reason, not sure what the story is.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I got the pop up today. Its hyper discrete and whether you answer yes or no it will never bother you again. Even though its for us, I felt a distinct bile towards it, lol... I think I've become conditioned or something.
    I think it randomly picks people as a better way of getting a data set. Or something.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I was shocked when I saw this pop up. Boards has finally sold out

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I filled in most of the survey because i thought it was for Boards.ie, but then the questions went off course and when I looked at the previous prizewinners I couldn't see any for Ireland. Then they asked for my full name and address and I lost interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

DeVore wrote:
    I got the pop up today.

Likewise. Only takes about two minutes to complete...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Then they asked for my full name and address and I lost interest.

Yeah, it was at the point of asking for my full name, address, date of birth ect that I hit the x. Don't see why an email address couldn't do the job if they wanted to contact me for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Worked fine for me today (on Firefox)...had better win that competition now after putting that effort in!

I put in my name, address and all, that info won't be sold on...will it Tom?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'll confirm that with Vex, he sorted it out.
    If they are sold on (I gave mine too), it will mean Sales Online will be finding another customer, they know our policy about this stuff. I'll ask why they need your address.

DeV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I did it yesterday, and it said it wanted addresses in the event of one winning a prize, so they know where to send it.

• Advertisement

I have not been presented with the survey yet, however on the screenshots that I saw its stated.

"Your personal data are only used to allocate the prize"

Apart from the grammer error, are/is, there is no reason to think that there is anything sinister in the request for the data, there is probably something in the rules also limiting the prize to EU countries only.

If we thought for one moment that the data be used for anything other than the prize allocation, we would not do it.

V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I filled it in as requested but I was a bit puzzled. It seems to be in two parts, the part where you fill in all your details and then a second part that you can decline which seems to be connected to the prize. At that point they already have your details? Why not just contact the winner by email and request his/her address? It's a bit of an overkill to store all those "losing" addresses just to give out a prize to a single "winning" address.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

When do I get my prize?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Vexorg wrote:
    "Your personal data are only used to allocate the prize"

Apart from the grammer error, are/is,
    ****PEDANT ALERT****

"Data" is the plural of "datum" (a single piece of data). Therefore to say "data are" is more correct than to say "data is". You wouldn't say "The dogs is coming in to eat their dinner". Well, maybe someone would. :)

I use "data is" all the time personally, in fact I too would find it weird to say "data are".

Dam you grammer Nazis:), it just sounds incorrect.

I am talking to the company who are actually running the survey to satisfy myself, they are in Belgium, and I will mention to them that replacing "are" with "is" will read better.

The results are interesting especially about boards.ie, I will start to publish the results this evening for your perusal.

I got it not once but twice. Did it the first time, but stopped it the second time. Was using a different computer the second time, but I was signed in under my account (it's my girlfriend's computer).

Data is unique though! Unless you count his brother, Lor. But he's evil. :(

God I'm a nerd.

DeV.

ps: Vex has pointed me at lots of privacy clauses and statements surrounding this survey. Im happy that we wont be spammed.

I understand its cookie based, you should not have to be logged in to get an invite to do the survey. If you clear your cookies or use a machine without the cookie there is a chance you will see an invite. Boards.ie do not know who is taking the survey, there is no link between the survey and boards database.

That said, I have tried several machines on two different networks and have not seen it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I completed the survey, didn't fill out my name and adddress details and submitted it - it accepted the submission without giving me one of those "get the hell back there and fill out your name and address" messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I just completed it.

Fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I completed the same survey on Today FM's website last week.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it crashed for me halfway through but as smashey says it is about the 6th time in the last 3 weeks I have come across the same survey with the same questions on different sites. Have the belgians got a special offer on?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That pop up surprised me.
    Filled it in, it's rag week, I was a bit...
    Anyway, I can't remember what it was about.
    Vexorg wrote:
    grammer nazis
    He he he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I just popped in my email address.

Incidentally how many people Googled the capital city question? And what percentage did you give? I gave 90% as I'm sure that most people will Google the answer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah, now i remember the survey. I said 14, as people would be too lazy? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

survey wrote:
    Why do you access this website?
    Victor wrote:
    To spam, spam, spam ... er, sorry so I can share information and partake in an online community.

I only put in my email address. Note the phraseology that it is seeking the personal information for something that is to appear on the **next** page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Gordon wrote:
    I just popped in my email address.

Incidentally how many people Googled the capital city question? And what percentage did you give? I gave 90% as I'm sure that most people will Google the answer.
    I put in 100%, reckon people will either know the answer, be unsure and check google or have absolutely no idea and google it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I think I voted something like 97.62% to include the sheer stupidity factor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I think I voted something like 97.62% to include the sheer stupidity factor...

Optimistic ;)

85%, and I googled...

• Advertisement

55% because I reckon a lot of people are dumb enough to get it wrong and arrogant enough to think they have it correct. A powerful combination :)

DeV.

Advertisement