Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

clutch trouble?

Options
  • 16-02-2007 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭

I was driving this old Accent this morning, and the clutch totally disappread! The clutch pedal was in the right place, but there was absolutely no resistance. The clutch was applied however, because there was no drive going to the wheels, and I couldn’t change the gears either. I basically rolled the car to a stop, turned off and on the engine and everything was well again.

If it had totally failed, I would have thought something has gone wrong with the line or fluid or the the clutch plate etc, but this was all back to normal in about a minute.

Any ideas what could have gone wrong? May be I should get it checked anyway? (well, get rid of the car, especially if the work is going to cost more than the car...)

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Im by no means an expert but I'd stab a guess at the pressure plate getting stuck in the engaged position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did the pedal go down and not engage? or go down and stay down?

Sorry that should say disengage.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Well, the clutch was engaged - as in - when i accelerate the engine revs, but car wouldn't increase speed (it was already moving slowly). The clutch pedal was at the usual position - as if its not pressed. When I tried pressing the clutch, there was no resistance, it went all the way to floor as if I had stepped on a blade of grass and it bounced back when I took my foot off the pedal. I tried it a few times, and in the mean time I pulled over to the side (this was with in the estate I live, and I was doing something like 20 mph).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

clutches on Accents seem to be weak enough. (and Santa Fe's)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Hmmmm.........If the clutch cable/hydraulics fail you should have constant drive. Ditto if the pressure plate failed - unless something is stuck. In order to disengage drive some force needs to be applied to the clutch lever control - unless your clutch disc is completely fcuked. I wonder is it possible that you may have a gearbox/final drive problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mike65 wrote:

Thinking of building a porch, Mike? :)

Not your ornery onager

Heh! :D

Mike.

Advertisement