Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age must you be to own a rifle?

Options
  • 16-02-2007 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

I am very much interested in taking up shooting as a passtime. I am 18 years old. I know that a 16 year old is allowed to apply for a liscence in theory but how old should you reallistically be? I'm in the RDF if it helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

you can carry a licensce for a rifle at 18 but you must have already held ashotgun licensce for at least a year i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I thought it was 16 as well i got my first licence for a rifle when i was 18 and hadnt held a cert for a shotgun before that. Supers will attach there own conditions to it as well which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I'm living in Dublin city centre and the lands I propose to shoot on are in Co. Mayo. This will no doubt complicate matters am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Shooting in Mayo will be no problem, I also live in Dublin and shoot in different parts of the country (where I have permission of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Shooting in Mayo will be no problem, I also live in Dublin and shoot in different parts of the country (where I have permission of course)

Do you reckon I'll need a safe in my Mayo residence? I suppose this will be decided at the discretion of the Superintendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Would make sense to have one if you wont be there very often and you dont want to pay the price of a safe at least a small safe to store bolt and ammo in and a means of securing the rifle ie a bit of steel rope through the breech and secured to something out of sight.

Another option is if you shoot with someone in mayo and you trust them get a joint licence and just keep the gun there which would save you hassle in transport storage and owning a gun in the city centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Hmm,my girlfriend has a shotgun in her and my name,and she commutes between her home and my place 3to4 times a week.She stored it in my safe,but the Gardai then wanted the liscense issued on my address,as she had the liscense issued on her home address.So I think it comes down to where the gun will be stored most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

To own a firearm? Any age at all. To get a licence for one - currently 16, but you'll be able to get a training licence at age 14 later on this year, hopefully...

Advertisement