Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat biting for no reason???

Options
  • 16-02-2007 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

This may seem a bit strange but my cat bites me when I am asleep! No joke! Last night he bit me on the neck and the other night he bit me on the cheek :eek: and the oddest thing is that when I jump awake he is normally standing on top of me purring :confused:

He got neutered recently so could that have something to do with it? Anyone know what is going on or will I have to bring him to a shrink?! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think he is telling you to get up because he wants to play. :) Mine normally comes up and touches my cheek to see if I'm awake. Just make sure if it is really hurting you and he won't stop to let her know, I use a loud "OUCH!" to let her know that I am not playing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Ruu wrote:
    I think he is telling you to get up because he wants to play. :) Mine normally comes up and touches my cheek to see if I'm awake.

Lol thats great and all but I need my sleep! How can I stop him doing it without shutting the door as I like him coming in and going to sleep curled up at my feet :o

I run around and play with our two (mine play fetch :)) for a good while before I go to bed so they are wrecked tired, that seems to do the trick for me.

Sounds good cheers Ruu hopefully will not wake up tonight with fangs in my neck again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Laser pointer them to exhaustion so they won't have anything on their mind other then sleep :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Laser pointer ....

Not too keen on them yokes, me ...

Shone right into a highly sensitive cats eye, (by accident) they could do some REAL damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Cheeky cat. Just scream at him really angrily and maybe move to chase or grab him just enough to send him scarpering. I can`t abide badly mannered pets.

Laser pointer them to exhaustion so they won't have anything on their mind other then sleep :D

Not for too long, some cats go crazy looking for the laser a couple of hours after it was turned off. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

My cat did this when he first came to me, aged about eight. Not so much when I was asleep as when he was playing, and at random other times.

I stopped him by being very calm about it and just saying gently "noooo, no biteys, no biteys lovey" and stopping playing when he'd do it, and pushing him gently away.

I've never found that shouting or shrieking or any violent reaction helped with this - it generally makes the cat think you're having fun and playing.

He still bites occasionally, by the way, but now gentle little nips.

the bites are only playful, just little nips - but when you are asleep they sure do wake you up!

Early this morning when he wasnt in biting me he decided he was hungry and bit his way through the heavy duty wiskas sack:eek:

He then ate the equivalent of 2 days food - and there was I wondering why he wasnt in trying to wake me up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

sillymoo wrote:
    the bites are only playful, just little nips - but when you are asleep they sure do wake you up!

Early this morning when he wasnt in biting me he decided he was hungry and bit his way through the heavy duty wiskas sack:eek:

He then ate the equivalent of 2 days food - and there was I wondering why he wasnt in trying to wake me up :rolleyes:
    LOL Excellent hahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Luckat there is a difference between I want to play and b*gg*r off!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If he's that hungry... worms?

If you want to sleep that much, shut him out for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

how have you been reacting when you get bitten - obviously it wakes you up but are you playing with / feeding your kittie when you get woken up in this way?

how have you been reacting when you get bitten - obviously it wakes you up but are you playing with / feeding your kittie when you get woken up in this way?

I just wake up with a shock-we stare at wach other for a minute and then I give him a rub, roll over and go back to sleep. I do not really make a big deal of it - I suppose I should give out to him but I dont have the energy at that hour of the night!

Another question - how much ideally should you feed a cat. My cat seems to be always hungry even though he gets a large meal in the morning and a large meal in the evening. The attacking the food has worried me quite a bit. I dont want him to go hungry but I dont want him to get overweight also :(

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

sillymoo wrote:
    I just wake up with a shock-we stare at wach other for a minute and then I give him a rub, roll over and go back to sleep. I do not really make a big deal of it - I suppose I should give out to him but I dont have the energy at that hour of the night!(

so if he wants a rub he knows that he'll get one if he bites you :D try to ignore him - you've already taught him that if he bites you while you're asleep he'll get a rub. I'd suggest you try ignoring him rather than rubbing him or giving out to him - won't stop him overnight but in time he'll see that he gets no response so there's no point in carrying on.

with regards to feeding - I free feed my 3 - they get some wet food at set times but always have access to a bowl of dry food & a bowl of water.

you're feeding him whiskas - there should be a feeding guide on the packet somewhere (not set in stone) but it'll give you an idea of what's recommended portion wise.

when was the last time he was wormed? if it's been a while you might want to worm him - if he has worms his appetite will have increased ;)

I am feeding him Whiskas which he loves. I give him some wet in the morning and the evening and leave him some dry food during the day. Im afraid that he may be still hungry as he keeps meowing when I go near his food. But at the same time I dont want to feed him whenever HE wants it! He was only wormed a few weeks ago so I doubt that is it. I think he is just a big spoiled softie of a cat with an equally as soft owner! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭cheeky_guy

Maybe he thinks your dead?? I heard before if you die in a house with a cat, the cat will start to eat you after a few days whereas a dog will stand guard over your body and never touch it. Could be possible!!

cheeky_guy wrote:
    Maybe he thinks your dead?? I heard before if you die in a house with a cat, the cat will start to eat you after a few days whereas a dog will stand guard over your body and never touch it. Could be possible!!

I suppose anything is possible checky guy! Maybe it is hungry and the only meat it can find to eat is me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I sometimes get woken by one of our cats chewing on my foot. If anything hangs out of the bed, she can't resist playing with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

stovelid wrote:
    If anything hangs out of the bed, she can't resist playing with it.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

stovelid wrote:
    I sometimes get woken by one of our cats chewing on my foot. If anything hangs out of the bed, she can't resist playing with it.

Maybe you should be careful too stovelid-as cheeky guy said she might think you are dead :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Memo to self: Read over my posts before posting :o
    Alun wrote:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I cant sleep with my cats in the room. They start out all cuddly but later when im sleeping they always make noise and wake us up. So kitchen for them.
    As someone said they want you to be awake.
    My cats do not like it when we are in bed in the morning, especially the mother. If my head is not visible she goes nuts and cries and tries to paw away the covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

stovelid wrote:
    I sometimes get woken by one of our cats chewing on my foot.
    One of my cats used to claw and chew my toes if my foot was outside of the duvet. Unfortunately, he's now learned to attack my feet by going under the duvet from the end of the bed. I no longer need an alarm clock!

Sillymoo, I've noticed that neither of my three cats try and wake up my boyfriend because when they did, he ignored them. I unfortunately, always gave in to their attention seeking schemes and now seem destined to a wake up call from one of them. Yet another equally soft owner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

is it common for cats to have the ability to open doors by jumping up and grabbing the handle? :confused:

Mikosyko wrote:
    is it common for cats to have the ability to open doors by jumping up and grabbing the handle? :confused:

I have seen my cat jumping up and trying to open the door handle but he has not mannaged yet! Mind you I am sure he will eventually figure it out as he has already figured out how to open his food press. Then I will be in trouble trying to keeping him out of the bedroom......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mikosyko wrote:
    Yes, we had one once that did that .. she just couldn't stand the sight of a closed door! If ever we had guests staying we had to tell them to keep their bedroom door open unless they wanted to be scared out of their wits in the middle of the night by the noise of Tabatha jumping up and opening their door!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Mikosyko wrote:

From my experience ...one out of three cats can do it.
    (The other two don't need to ...they just walk through the door the other one opened for them:D )

• Advertisement

peasant wrote:
    From my experience ...one out of three cats can do it.
    (The other two don't need to ...they just walk through the door the other one opened for them:D )

Excellent lol!!!

Advertisement