Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you give back €400-500?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I just think this is a good opportunity for some people to point fingers. You don't know what she would have done, not even the OP does, not even the girl does. Look, she gave the money to the guy who lost it, if she really was a bad person she would have dismissed what her boyfriend said, and kept it.

I think people are reading too much into this. She's only human, and anyway the two of them seem to have gotten over it. Stop drawing conclusions based on imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

InFront wrote:
    I just think this is a good opportunity for some people to point fingers. You don't know what she would have done, not even the OP does, not even the girl does. Look, she gave the money to the guy who lost it, if she really was a bad person she would have dismissed what her boyfriend said, and kept it.

I think people are reading too much into this. She's only human, and anyway the two of them seem to have gotten over it. Stop drawing conclusions based on imagination.
    Be honest, InFront, you're just going against the crowd on this for the sake of it, aren't ya? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

InFront wrote:
    Stop drawing conclusions based on imagination.

she was going to keep the money after seeing the owner drop it,a trait i would imagine a thief possesses ... hardly a stretch of the imagination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

love is blind my friend

No I just think that these boards are full of an awful lot of self-righteous people.

eo980 wrote:
    No I just think that these boards are full of an awful lot of self-righteous people.
    Come on now, its the truth Eo980. If it were someone else, you'd be right here on our side. Unless you're one of the type that'd contemplate screwing another, innocent stranger over for absolutely no reason, like your girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

daveym wrote:
    dump her.

Less of the personal issues advice here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

eo980 wrote:

Objecting to stealing is self-righteous, these days?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

eo980 wrote:

why did you bring this topic into public discussion if you can't handle peoples opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Cake Fiend wrote:
    Ibid wrote:
    In my opinion you should have brought it to the Garda station.
    Explain what good would have come of that?
    Absolutely none.
    However, I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to Ibid for the comment I made earlier in this thread. It was a bit cúntish.
    Leixlip Garda station only opens for 2 hours every day and they seem to be random at best.
    Even if I was to hand it in, chances are it would have been a week before I got to the station when there was a garda present.
    This was a few years back when their hours were even more erratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Disgusting post imo.

I wouldnt touch someone with that mentality with a barge pool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

chump wrote:

Your own, or someone else's? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm sorry, but for all you people advocating that this girl was stealing, here's a big WTF.

How is finding something that someone dropped defined as stealing?
    She didn't pickpocket them, she didn't threaten them with a knife and force them to hand it over....just becuase she found what someone dropped and contemplated (keyword) keeping it does not make her a thief or anything even approaching that....had she not seen it being dropped and happened upon it, would it have been considered "stealing" byt hose who are accusing her of that? If she hadn't have picked it up, the next person walking along behind would have and chances are a fair bit higher that they would have kept it anyways, since they likely wouldn't have seen who dropped it.

You're all giving the OP and his g/f an undeserved hard time here and there seems to be a bit of mob mentality, and a lot of unwarranted comments flying about.

At this stage I'd say eo980 is just sorry he didn't let her keep the cash, go on the lash and wander in here today to make a hungover thread telling us how he feels so guilty...

chump wrote:
    Disgusting post imo.

i'd take it a step further, as hard as carrying a pool around is, i think a barge pole might serve the point to better effect :p

eo980 wrote:
    Walking through Temple Bar with my girlfriend on the way to the cinema about 20 minutes ago she noticed some money fall from a group of four people.

shes a thief...well almost

shes a thief
    No. No she's not.
    ...well almost
    Nearly never won the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Wertz wrote:
    I'm sorry, but for all you people advocating that this girl was stealing, here's a big WTF.

How is finding something that someone dropped defined as stealing?

At this stage I'd say eo980 is just sorry he didn't let her keep the cash, go on the lash and wander in here today to make a hungover thread telling us how he feels so guilty...

Inasmuch as taking something which is not yours, which you know not to be yours, is stealing. Under Irish law the crime is "larceny by finding"

Wertz wrote:
    No. No she's not.

if the bf wasn't there what woulda stopped her from keeping it, yes i'm assuming, but tbh i don't think many would disagree when i say, she woulda kept it, 400 euro is rippin the p1ss tho, come on, i'll be honest, if i found a 20 on the ground, didnt see where it came from, i'd probably pocket it...anymore and to some people that can be the difference between a dinner for thier kids each day this week and hunger.

But she didn't steal it SHE GAVE IT BACK!!!

You're only judging on her for regretting that she saw who dropped it. If she had seen the person, and kept the money anyway, she would be bad. She saw them, gave them back their money, and then felt sorry for herself. For goodness sake, it's not worth dumping her over.

InFront wrote:
    But she didn't steal it SHE GAVE IT BACK!!!

You're only judging on her for regretting that she saw who dropped it. If she had seen the person, and kept the money anyway, she would be bad. She saw them, gave them back their money, and then felt sorry for herself. For goodness sake, it's not worth dumping her over.

it shows that she's of questionable integrity, a trait that can lead to many different outcomes in relationships.

she regretted seeing the guy... so she would have kept it otherwise, nearly as bad IMO. i can see op on pi in a few weeks, my gf of 2 years cheated on me, we talked bout it, she said she 'regrets getting caught'. things like that arent things that need thought, its either right or wrong, and to need contemplated actions like that are warning signs in my book

• Advertisement

Alright we all know the drill; you find something valuable (cash/jewellery/whatever) you hand it into the cop shop and if no-one claims it in a year and a day it's legally yours....now in the real world is the person who dropped the money even going to bother reporting it's loss? No they take it on the chin, they're gutted, put it down to experience etc....so no-one's reported the money missing or lost, therefore ownership can't be establishged in the event of handing it in. Still not stealing both IMO and in the strict sense of any law covering the scenario.

But we're getting beyond ourselves here, because she didn't f*cking keep it, so how in the flying f*ck is she a thief???
    Just because she's pissed off later on? Women tend to dwell on things a lot, they have funny mood swings. She contemplated keeping the cash and what she could have done with it....so that makes her fit for the women's wing in the 'Joy?
    Please. It's like 1984 or something...someone call the thought police
    :rolleyes:

• How is finding something that someone dropped defined as stealing?
    She didn't pickpocket them, she didn't threaten them with a knife and force them to hand it over....just becuase she found what someone dropped and contemplated (keyword) keeping it does not make her a thief or anything even approaching that....had she not seen it being dropped and happened upon it, would it have been considered "stealing" byt hose who are accusing her of that? If she hadn't have picked it up, the next person walking along behind would have and chances are a fair bit higher that they would have kept it anyways, since they likely wouldn't have seen who dropped it.

Because she DID see who dropped it and was in a position to give it back. That fact makes ALL the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Shes a dog, dump her.

Worst thing is though, when you see someone drop something, and hand it back, they look at you as if youre a thief .. like wtf.

Great when someone is relieved when you hand something back, you feel like some sort of a superman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Wertz wrote:
    No. No she's not.

She tried to steal the money, he stopped her, was my reading of the original post.

Because she DID see who dropped it and was in a position to give it back.

Which she did.

I dunno folks, you's must have a very handy time finding partners if you're ready to dump someone on the strenght of an incident like this...

[edit] I gues this whole thing has to do with how you perceve the initial incident and the OP's g/f's reaction and subsequent mood; personally I don't see anything majorly wrong with what she did (and that's not to say that I'd do that nyself)....it becoming a reason for ending a 2 yr relationship...way OTT IMO, but I guess everyone has a differing take on the incident according to their own set of values.

Wertz wrote:
    Which she did.

I dunno folks, you's must have a very handy time finding partners if you're ready to dump someone on the strenght of an incident like this...
    I wouldn't dump someone over it, but it'd certainly change my perception of that person.

• Advertisement

• I know that, but some people are trying to say there would be nothing wrong with taking money you just saw someone drop.

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP: ever loose money? Did she get a nice coat? Honesty can't be pushed aside cos she's from Eastern Europe, imo.

rb_ie wrote:
    I wouldn't dump someone over it, but it'd certainly change my perception of that person.
    Just to elaborate on that point a bit, if it were at the start or very early stages of a relationship, and the girl in question displayed such a disgusting trait, then it could well be grounds for a dumping. However, Eo980 has been with his girlfriend for two long years, so theres obviously some great qualities to this girl to keep him around for such a length of time, so it could certainly be overlooked.

Its understandable that hes trying to defend his girlfriend, I'm sure most of us would too. Perhaps, as was said earlier in the thread, hes somewhat blinded by love and doesn't really see how wrong her behaviour was. Regardless, he shouldn't have posted the thread if he wasn't able to deal with the negative comments which were going to be posted, as outside observers we can only remark on what we've been told, without knowing the girl or her personality, and base our judgement solely around this. What we read, a lot of us didn't approve of and it seems Eo980 can't handle that.

Regardless, I'm sure we can all agree that if we saw someone drop a lump sum of cash, it'd be a sh1tty thing to do to take it for ourselves without giving them the chance to get the money back. We can see from reading the OP, that this was his girlfriends intentions, and then to react afterwards like she did...well, its not a good thing. I know a lot of us make assumptions based on what we read, but it does seem apparent that if he hadn't been there, she would have happily taken the cash which is a very, very bad thing.

Eo980: If you're going to post threads which may bring out some moral judgements, be prepared to accept everyone elses opinion, even if it leaves you in a minority. You can't be blamed for how you reacted, she is your girlfriend afterall, but open your eyes a bit and you'll see that none of the comments made in the thread were unwarranted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

rb_ie wrote:
    Come on now, its the truth Eo980. If it were someone else, you'd be right here on our side. Unless you're one of the type that'd contemplate screwing another, innocent stranger over for absolutely no reason, like your girlfriend.

Don't presume anything about me rb, you can only hazzard a guess as to what I might do.
    rb_ie wrote:
    What we read, a lot of us didn't approve of and it seems Eo980 can't handle that.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread rb, I can handle constructive criticism or well established comments just fine, but I don't see any value or point to throw away comments such as the below:
    dump her
    in my opinion she isn't a keeper...
    I hope you don't start noticing money disappearing from your wallet
    Personally I'd seriously think about ending that relationship

Again your last few comments seem aimed at simply stirring the shít and keeping things going a little longer. You often come on boards and accuse other people of going against the grain just for the sake of it, well that's what you seem to do quite a bit yourself.

I did accuse some people of being self rightous and I stand by that comment. I took on board points that were well written and looked as if the poster had actually thought about what they were going to say before they actually typed it.

During the course of this thread I received a pm from a poster apologising for his comments on the thread as he had actually been joking and hadn't meant what he had said.

I have read and taken in alot of what was said on this thread rb. But as I mentioned earlier, your opinion, for me, counts for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

And we're done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement