Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog rolls around on the ground when walking

Options
  • 16-02-2007 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Its as if he can smell something and rolls around trying to cover himself in it. It has a really strange smell and it lingers. Just wondering if anyone knows why this is thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

My sisters dog does that too-normally after a bath! It looks like there is no dirt on the ground or else its a pile or dirt and she rolls around it covering herself in the smell. We reckon its because she does not like being clean and is trying to "enhance" her natural odour but I dont exactly know why she does it. In any case it does her no harm! If your dog is on a lead just pull him up and say "NO" loudly. That will tell him its wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This behaviour is a "leftover" from the times when dogs actually had to hunt and kill for a living ...basically they roll in something strong smelling to cover up their own scent and "hide" their own scent from their prey.

That's the scientific explanation.

My explanation is the the little feckers just like stinky things :D

I'll never forget the day ... long haired OES and rotting salmon carcass ...the fecker rolled in it while he was out of sight ...took three days and some severe bathing to get rid of that stink :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

sillymoo wrote:
    My sisters dog does that too-normally after a bath! It looks like there is no dirt on the ground or else its a pile or dirt and she rolls around it covering herself in the smell. We reckon its because she does not like being clean and is trying to "enhance" her natural odour but I dont exactly know why she does it. In any case it does her no harm! If your dog is on a lead just pull him up and say "NO" loudly. That will tell him its wrong. :)

Its definetly not the clean thing with the dog lol. :D:D. The other dog that was with us does nothing in the exact same spot. Thanks for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

peasant wrote:
    This behaviour is a "leftover" from the times when dogs actually had to hunt and kill for a living ...basically they roll in something strong smelling to cover up their own scent and "hide" their own scent from their prey.

That's the scientific explanation.

My explanation is the the little feckers just like stinky things :D

I'll never forget the day ... long haired OES and rotting salmon carcass ...the fecker rolled in it while he was out of sight ...took three days and some severe bathing to get rid of that stink :eek:

Thanks i replyed before this was posted, yeah thats probally it cos he once rolled in poo over and over. He is just turned one boxer/german separd cross really a lovely dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

My dobies like to start wrestling if there is a crowd around - as in when on a walk along a street. Some think its cute and others look horrified. But as they spend about half of every day wrestling I think they just don't want to miss out on wrestling time just because they are walking on Main street.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Ha ha my little beagle x terrier is chief roller
    The worst ever was a dead seal that was rotten a few months back

We've had fish carcass - dead seagulls and fox crap - NICE !!!!!!
    I still love her tho :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

My girl loves a good roll but luckily never on anything yucky, but I have noticed that when we go for a walk which cuts through a bog she loves to roll in the heather and I have to stop a few times for her to catch up...

I dunno whats in the heather though:confused:

Advertisement