Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP! Ringing Vodfone in US!

• 16-02-2007 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

So my other half went to America today, I said I'd ring her when shes off her flight, taught no problem off it except for very high phone bill. Anyway I try to ring and I just get voicemail, after a good few more trys now all I get is that annoying 'number not in use'( I think thats it) tone.

Shes on Vodafone RTG and im using both my 3pay and landline phone.

Is there something Im missing, is there special prefixs for the U.S? I didnt think so but i could be wrong. Any help here would be very very appreciated :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You should be dialling 001 353 87 1234567*.

*replace with number you are dialling of course.

edit: actually I don't think there are any roaming agreements for RTG customers in the US, so her phone won't work there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

When I went to the USA with my friend last month, her Vod RTG phone didn't work out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

ahhhhh well thats just dandy, thanks a lot for the info guys. Now to find some other means of communication :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

There is no need to do that, simply dialling 087 xxx xxxx as usual will work, provided the SIM card is provisioned for roaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Does she have a triband phone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You need to dial either 011 353 XX XXX XXXX
    or + 353 XX XXX XXXX

The international access code in the US and Canada is 011
    Some GSM networks will let you use 00, but some wont.

The phone *must* be triband or quadband. GSM in the US works on 1900mhz, while in Europe it's 900mhz and 1800mhz.

The short code to access your voicemail may or maynot work depending on which network you're on.

You might need to access your voicemail by dialling your mailbox number.

E.g. if your mobile number were 087 999 9999 you would need to dial
    : +353 87 5 999 9999.

Hope that's of some use.

The cheapest way to roam in the US is to buy a T-Mobile or AT&T/Cingular prepaid SIM pack, they are available and work pretty much the same way as Ready to Go, Speakeasy, Meteor prepay etc. i.e. you top up with vouchers / your credit card.

Solair wrote:
    You need to dial either 011 353 XX XXX XXXX
    or + 353 XX XXX XXXX

That's odd. For me simply dialling 086, 087, etc as usual has worked grand as long as the person I was calling was provisioned for roaming and had at least a tri-band phone (quad band for rural USA).

If you're in the US yourself though, that's correct, you'll need to dial either +353 or 011353 to call home to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Thanks for all the info but is all this considering that shes on vodafone RTG and thus cannot roam in the U.S??

Just spent a minute on Vodafone's web site, and it appears that Vodafone prepay customers cannot currently roam in the US, and even postpay customers have to pay a lot (I think over €3 a minute) to roam there.

In contrast, O2 prepay customers can roam in the US for 59 cents a minute, no bother and no need to activate anything. The moral of the story? If you plan to roam in the US, switch to O2!

Advertisement