Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on owning a Siberian Husky

Options
  • 17-02-2007 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,
    I would really appreciate some advice on owning a Siberian Husky, preferably from people who actually have siberian huskys. I just have a few questions and please be as honest as possible as possible with your replys as it will help before I make a commitment on buying one.

The first thing that really concerns me is the amount of people saying never to let them off a leash even with good training is it still not safe to let them off a leash in fields countryside etc??
    My back garden would be approximately 150 square metres fenced in is this a big enough area for a siberian husky?
    The dog would be coming into a family environment and would have plenty of attention but there would be at least 3 days a week where it would have to be left alone for approx 8 hours is this too long for a husky if so is there any recommendations on how to keep themselves amused. Iam aware of the digging habits and there need for exercise so any honest answers or any other advice from husky owners would be appreciated.
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

While being a very fashionable dog lately, a Husky definetely isn't a dog for everybody.

Getting loads of attention is good for most dogs, but some (if not most) Huskies are not that keen on human attention (at least not all the time), they'd rather do their own thing.

And their thing is running ...either before something (that they can pull), or after something (that they can hunt).

Unless you're a jogger or endurance runner who doesn't mind running with a dog strapped to him/herself (so it doesn't go hunting) ...I'd get a different dog.

An under-excercised, bored Husky is not a pleasure to have around.

Plus they can be a little bit on the iffy side (especially as they mature) when it comes to obedience and accepting rules ...so not a great first-time dog either.

The same pretty much applies to all "Nordic" breeds like Malamutes (they're very big and strong on top of it all) or Eskimo or Greenland dogs.

*Disclaimer* :D
    I do not own a Husky ...(mostly for the above reasons), but from what I have heard from Husky owners over the years, I believe the above statements to be correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I had considered siberian husky's also before buying my two doberman pups. I eventually decided they just need more attention than I could give so I then thought about german shepards. Again I just thought they can also be a bit iffy when mature so opted for the breed I know and trust the best - the dobermans. I have not regretted it as they both are great little babies.:)

This link might be of some help.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/siberian.html

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

I used to have a norwegian elkhound, got him as a pup. No matter how long I would run him on the beach or in the countryside, he would still be up for more. Then one day he got out of the garden and went into a field of cows and rounded them up, cows were frightened and began stampeding around the field. I couldnt get the dog to come to me, farmer came and threatened to shoot my dog. I was frantic, for the dog and for the cows! It was a nightmare. Got home and went about making the garden even more secure but the dog dug under the fence every chance he could get and go after the cows. This was about 10 years ago, before radio fences etc. Brought him to obedience training for months, he didn't improve really. Anyway, had to rehome the dog as no matter what i did, he wanted to go after the cows, that was his instinct. I would be very wary of getting a dog that is born to work hard and then expect it to be happy with a walk, it wasn't enough for my dog, I learnt a harsh lesson and was heartbroken to let him go.

Advertisement