Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Houses are crap

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Cantab. wrote:
    Affordable housing is a scam. Buyer beware - otherwise you'll end up in an undesirable area for the next 35 years complete with ASBO-kids and a culture of going to the local shopping centre for a day out.

This is a really awful thing to say on so many levels. I am quite shocked and don't even know where to begin. I had written a rather lengthy, reasonable post addressing many of the interesting points made on here, but with you at the helm, I realised I was completely wasting my time and deleted it.

I hope to god that your biased, snobbish, screwed up view of things doesn't influence anyone not to go for this scheme. I just don't know who you think you are insulting masses of people in a matter of sentences.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 MiaMia

Affordable housing is a scam. Buyer beware - otherwise you'll end up in an undesirable area for the next 35 years complete with ASBO-kids and a culture of going to the local shopping centre for a day out.[/QUOTE]

As the people on the Affordable list include Gardai and Nurses - the government will be moving in the right kind of people to deal with the ASBO kids such as me! Must tell my mother she shouldn't have brought me to those museums and galleries though - Silly woman didn't stick to her stereo type - and as for sending her kids to University - silly woman! It could have been worse though she could have moved us to Co Kildare or Heavens forefend Co Meath :)

Though seriously people - maybe its time that "bad areas" are changed. Is it not a valid point that if people own their own places in places like Clondalkin and Tallaght - that more care is taken of the general neighbourhood. There are alot of apartments being built in both areas - and I have noticed that apartment blocks were the majority of people own the apartments are far nicer than the Section 23 jobbies - where investors are renting out the apartments. Basically people don't care about something they don't own - especially if the landlord only has to give one months notice to throw you out.

Plus a friend of mine has had to move out to Trim a few years ago- to get a place she could afford. This means she is looking for a teaching job outside of Dublin. What happens if other people on the affordable housing list did the same (though they would have to go a lot further nowadays)? There would be either no Gardai, Nurses, Civil Servants, Teachers, Bus drivers, Fire officers, child care workers, Hotel and Catering, sanitation workers living in Dublin or they would all be commuting in causing more traffic congestion. ‘Cause lets face it there is no Security in renting under the Irish system and the last thing an educated but lower paid worker wants as well as very little income is an insecure future.

As far as I know the old age pension is less than 200 Euro a week. My rent is 140 Euro a week – I would say that is about average. If I was on an old age pension – I could not afford to pay private rent and the State will have to pay for me to be housed (as food and shelter – fundamental rights). I am sure when I am 65 the figures will be the same in that days money so to speak – therefore if the State aids me to buy at this stage – they will not have to finance me in the future – plus if I was to sell within ten years – they will make a profit on any increases in the market value of the house. This is far more likely for people on the list in their twenties.

Overall Affordable Housing if done correctly has the potential of being a long term investment in the Irish Economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Cantab's a hypocrite, he's on the affordable housing list himself but because the areas don't suit him he just goes on and on about it (this isn't the first time). It's not a scam because believe it or not people want to live in those areas. Cantab is annoyed because he can't get a e600,000 plus apartment in Dublin 6 on the list. He's also being selective in the areas he posted, no mention of the apartments on the quays or in Dublin 8 which is becoming increasingly popular, ironically with people from Dublin 6 where he currently lives. Cantab if you want to rent in Dublin 6, by all means do. But don't expect to be offered a home there. The scheme is for people to be able to afford a home, you might have to change area but that happens. Everybody I know who grew up in D4 now lives in either D6 or D8. if you want to buy you can rarely afford to do so in area you grew up. There was three-bed semi-ds in Malahide a few years ago for just over e100,000 on the affordable housing list but midget Cullen came along and changed the scheme's rules - those were a negative and something he should be embarressed about but it's still not a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

jdivision wrote:
    Cantab's a hypocrite, he's on the affordable housing list himself but because the areas don't suit him he just goes on and on about it (this isn't the first time). It's not a scam because believe it or not people want to live in those areas. Cantab is annoyed because he can't get a e600,000 plus apartment in Dublin 6 on the list. He's also being selective in the areas he posted, no mention of the apartments on the quays or in Dublin 8 which is becoming increasingly popular, ironically with people from Dublin 6 where he currently lives. Cantab if you want to rent in Dublin 6, by all means do. But don't expect to be offered a home there. The scheme is for people to be able to afford a home, you might have to change area but that happens. Everybody I know who grew up in D4 now lives in either D6 or D8. if you want to buy you can rarely afford to do so in area you grew up. There was three-bed semi-ds in Malahide a few years ago for just over e100,000 on the affordable housing list but midget Cullen came along and changed the scheme's rules - those were a negative and something he should be embarressed about but it's still not a scam.

There are lots of people who do want to live in areas like Finglas as well, plenty of people grew up there and want to live in the area they are from. What is desirable for one person might be different for another. I live in an area which a lot of people slag off, I quite like it, my child is in a good school and regardless of what snobbery says is a good area I am quite happy. I also rent so its by choice I live here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

MiaMia wrote:
    As the people on the Affordable list include Gardai and Nurses - the government will be moving in the right kind of people to deal with the ASBO kids such as me! Must tell my mother she shouldn't have brought me to those museums and galleries though - Silly woman didn't stick to her stereo type - and as for sending her kids to University - silly woman! It could have been worse though she could have moved us to Co Kildare or Heavens forefend Co Meath :)

Though seriously people - maybe its time that "bad areas" are changed. Is it not a valid point that if people own their own places in places like Clondalkin and Tallaght - that more care is taken of the general neighbourhood. There are alot of apartments being built in both areas - and I have noticed that apartment blocks were the majority of people own the apartments are far nicer than the Section 23 jobbies - where investors are renting out the apartments. Basically people don't care about something they don't own - especially if the landlord only has to give one months notice to throw you out.

Plus a friend of mine has had to move out to Trim a few years ago- to get a place she could afford. This means she is looking for a teaching job outside of Dublin. What happens if other people on the affordable housing list did the same (though they would have to go a lot further nowadays)? There would be either no Gardai, Nurses, Civil Servants, Teachers, Bus drivers, Fire officers, child care workers, Hotel and Catering, sanitation workers living in Dublin or they would all be commuting in causing more traffic congestion. ‘Cause lets face it there is no Security in renting under the Irish system and the last thing an educated but lower paid worker wants as well as very little income is an insecure future.

As far as I know the old age pension is less than 200 Euro a week. My rent is 140 Euro a week – I would say that is about average. If I was on an old age pension – I could not afford to pay private rent and the State will have to pay for me to be housed (as food and shelter – fundamental rights). I am sure when I am 65 the figures will be the same in that days money so to speak – therefore if the State aids me to buy at this stage – they will not have to finance me in the future – plus if I was to sell within ten years – they will make a profit on any increases in the market value of the house. This is far more likely for people on the list in their twenties.

Overall Affordable Housing if done correctly has the potential of being a long term investment in the Irish Economy.

If affordable housing makes you happy, go for it. I don't fancy being a sociological guineau pig myself. I personally prefer areas with a stable track record. Some people on here might confuse this with 'snobbery' (or perhaps their own inferiority complex), but I am quite happy living where I live without having to take huge risks into the unknown.

• Advertisement

jdivision wrote:
    Cantab's a hypocrite, he's on the affordable housing list himself but because the areas don't suit him he just goes on and on about it...

So what if I'm on the list? If the government are going to give me free money (or so they say they are), then why not? It's just I see through the smoke and mirrors and have come to the conclusion that these guys are not to be trusted (especially when you look at the amount of PR companies "necessary" on the affordable homes website, for example). Flood Tribunal, Mahon Tribunal anyone? Whilst I have no intention of giving any of my money to participate in an affordable housing "scheme", I am entitled to be on the list, and there I'll stay (it makes me snigger over breakfast every couple of months when the glossy brochure hits my hallway).

I wonder would you be as quick to brand councillers and developers "hypocrites" for refusing to build their mansions in undesireable areas too? Now surely that's real hypocricy? Now whilst in theory, we all live in a utopia where all pigs are equal - unfortunately though, some pigs are more equal than others. I find it hard to imagine that you (indeed anyone) don't participate in this reality to some extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Cantab. wrote:
    If the government are going to give me free money (or so they say they are), then why not?

They aren't giving you free money but by saying this your attitude is no better than a Brown envelope man Thus proving that you are a hypocrite & that Corruption starts at the bottom & works its way up.
    As for undesirable areas with problem Neighbours, I have to say you aint doing much for my opinion of Ranelagh or Meath.

Hypocrite indeed. Remains arrogant and a snob all the while. Anybody giving Cantab the benefit of the doubt here should read the following:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054952935&referrerid=&highlight=

Plane tickets booked to Germany yet? Cantab, you incessantly go on about inferiority complexes but those with a superiority complex are far more annoying and deluded, the irony being that the more you tell us of how superior you are, the higher we rise above you.

Ok. So it's clear you aren't happy with the location of the Affordable Houses. How many more threads are you going to start about it? How many times are you going to come on here thinking you're better than everyone else as you incessantly whinge about something that you say matters nothing to you and makes you "snigger" when we all know that it clearly does matter to you.

It seems to me that you get some kind of kick out of professing yourself to be superior to everyone else and to be honest, it's pathetic. You need to learn that qualifications and a postcode do not make you a superior being.

You don't like large areas of the city or the people in them, you don't like the government, you don't like immigrants, you want to be able to speed around in a sports car and not get penalty points (linked thread), you think the whole of Coolock rides on horseback... You really really need a reality check. Your massive ego pours into every post and I really think you are enjoying the responses you get from the type of posts you write. Your intention is to get people riled up as much as it is to whinge about the scheme.

Honestly, you've said your piece and you've said it before. If you hate living here that much then go abroad like you said you were going to do 8 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OK folks chill out. A point has been made, don't extend it to insults.

Anybody giving Cantab the benefit of the doubt here should read the following:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054952935&referrerid=&highlight=

haha!!! I almost fell off my horse reading that!!
    This Thread started as an insult & worked it's way nowhere , I don't think any of the reactions to Cantab here are over reactions.

Cantab has made a sweeping & misleading statement in the title of the thread & has subsequently whinged about the affordable housing scheme & said not much else but blindly referred to Tribunals & Corrupt politicians whilst admitting just how corrupt he is himself.

Not only that but despite saying he is not a snob he has insulted a large section of people & come out with some of the most narrow minded , hate filled , borderline racist & misinformed bullsh_t I have seen on here in a long time.

Cantab , you admit you dont like Travellers ,Immigrants or undesirables & You are passionate about how great Germany is.

Have you ever done any really bad waterpaintings ?

Seriously Mods Please close this down , it's going nowhere & it's offensive & there are far better threads on the topic here if anyone wants to get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 a bald bloke

Offensive is something of an understatement, I am one of those lucky enough to have a good education, work in a good stable tech job on a very decent salary but as a single person have'nt a hope of getting a home on a single salary. I have been lucky in the last week to be offered a place from the SDCC initiative from last Oct, the place looks well built, there are some issues with the area (show me an area that dosent have social problems at this point) but has good transport and is walking distance to my folks house, if it's suitable then I have no issues or qualms in taking the mortgage and the help to buy it and will consider myself pretty lucky to have done so.

Kingsize wrote:
    They aren't giving you free money but by saying this your attitude is no better than a Brown envelope man Thus proving that you are a hypocrite & that Corruption starts at the bottom & works its way up.
    As for undesirable areas with problem Neighbours, I have to say you aint doing much for my opinion of Ranelagh or Meath.

You seemed to have (conveniently) missed the obvious sarcasm in my statement. Any fool will tell you that there's no such thing as a free lunch (whatever about free money).

So you're in denial about the fact that some areas are more desirable than others? Well the solution is simple: stay away from Dublin 6 if you can't accept this reality.

Kingsize wrote:
    haha!!! I almost fell off my horse reading that!!
    This Thread started as an insult & worked it's way nowhere , I don't think any of the reactions to Cantab here are over reactions.

Cantab has made a sweeping & misleading statement in the title of the thread & has subsequently whinged about the affordable housing scheme & said not much else but blindly referred to Tribunals & Corrupt politicians whilst admitting just how corrupt he is himself.
    Oh really? Serious talk from a serious chap. You'll be able to demonstrate how corrupt I am then? I've got the Mahon Tribunal and Moriarty Tribunal, what have you got?
    Kingsize wrote:
    Not only that but despite saying he is not a snob he has insulted a large section of people & come out with some of the most narrow minded , hate filled , borderline racist & misinformed bullsh_t I have seen on here in a long time.
    Please quote me. You are caught up in a rounding-up-the-mob mentality with your cries of "racist", "hate-filled" and "narrow-mindedness". Why don't you be more specific in your responses? Instead of this, all you are capable of is mindless yelling and screaming like a farmer with a branding iron.
    Kingsize wrote:
    Cantab , you admit you dont like Travellers ,Immigrants or undesirables & You are passionate about how great Germany is.

Have you ever done any really bad waterpaintings ?
    Where did claim I "don't like" immigrants or travellers? Undesirables would hardly be known as undesirables if they weren't "undesirable" now, would they? I take it you like "undesirables" then?

In case you're having difficulty, here's an example for you:
    Howaye ladz
    Kingsize wrote:
    Seriously Mods Please close this down , it's going nowhere & it's offensive & there are far better threads on the topic here if anyone wants to get involved.
    You're the one who's insisting on steering the debate off course with your insistence that I am a snob. Would you ever grow up and get over that chip on your shoulder. Now back to why affordable housing is crap...

Offensive is something of an understatement, I am one of those lucky enough to have a good education, work in a good stable tech job on a very decent salary but as a single person have'nt a hope of getting a home on a single salary. I have been lucky in the last week to be offered a place from the SDCC initiative from last Oct, the place looks well built, there are some issues with the area (show me an area that dosent have social problems at this point) but has good transport and is walking distance to my folks house, if it's suitable then I have no issues or qualms in taking the mortgage and the help to buy it and will consider myself pretty lucky to have done so.

Well if you're happy with the government-subsidised accomodation that is being given to you, then you won't have any difficulties, will you? I wish you well.

Honestly, you've said your piece and you've said it before. If you hate living here that much then go abroad like you said you were going to do 8 months ago.

I don't hate living here. Dublin's not a bad city to live in. I work for myself and live only 5 minutes from my place of work (without having to sign up for 35 year mortgages). This is not the issue - I sincerely believe people are deluding themselves if they think that affordable housing is good for them. Should you sign on the dotted line, you are effectively setting yourself up for a sub-standard quality of life complete with commuting and cramped living space, whilst at the same time lining the pockets of developers.

You are also a political guneau pig, the willing participant in a grand sociological experiment - the hand that feeds you is the hand that in actual fact bit you, by way of corruption and inept planning. Just remember that when you are sitting in traffic for 4 hours a day and writing letters to your local counciller about the unruly teenagers drinking by the lovely fountain in the middle of your complex.

Cantab. wrote:
    Please quote me. You are caught up in a rounding-up-the-mob mentality with your cries of "racist", "hate-filled" and "narrow-mindedness". Why don't you be more specific in your responses?

Where did claim I "don't like" immigrants or travellers?

I'm sure Kingsize will be well able to quote you. For my part, here is the evidence you have asked for. Some of it is from your previous thread which I linked in my previous post, perhaps you've chosen to ignore it:

There's a halting site just up the road and the place is right beside a massive ugly shopping centre (and we all know the kind of vagrants that hang around certain northside shopping centres).

€1200 a month for the privilige of living beside a halting site in Darndale is such a 'good deal'!

I though, suffer from a superiority complex, and will certainly not live in Darndale! I've got standards

I don't really wish to be surrounded by immigrants - look at what happened on Parnell Street!

I don't want to live in a high crime area complete with unruly kids, drugs and horses - these are the facts about the Darndale/Coolock area.

I just can't see any attraction whatsoever in wanting to live in:
    Hampton Wood, Finglas
    Laburnam Cottage Apartments, Ashtown
    Park West, Dublin 12
    Priory Hall, Donaghmede
    Prospect Hill, Finglas
    etc.

Affordable housing is a scam. Buyer beware - otherwise you'll end up in an undesirable area for the next 35 years complete with ASBO-kids and a culture of going to the local shopping centre for a day out.

I think that's enough evidence.
    Cantab. wrote:
    I don't hate living here. Dublin's not a bad city to live in. I work for myself and live only 5 minutes from my place of work (without having to sign up for 35 year mortgages). This is not the issue - I sincerely believe people are deluding themselves if they think that affordable housing is good for them. Should you sign on the dotted line, you are effectively setting yourself up for a sub-standard quality of life complete with commuting and cramped living space, whilst at the same time lining the pockets of developers.

You are also a political guneau pig, the willing participant in a grand sociological experiment - the hand that feeds you is the hand that in actual fact bit you, by way of corruption and inept planning. Just remember that when you are sitting in traffic for 4 hours a day and writing letters to your local counciller about the unruly teenagers drinking by the lovely fountain in the middle of your complex.

You've made your views quite clear. If you are blissfully happy in your own situation well then that's cool, I'm just having difficulty understanding why the issue is such a hot one for you when you don't seem to have any plans to avail of it. Why can't you just leave it? You've made your points, what do you hope to achieve by getting people riled up over it and insulting people? I'm being genuine here. You don't strike me as a person who would be particularly sympathetic towards other people who you don't know, so I'm having difficulty understanding why you care so much when it doesn't involve you.

I second Kingsize that the thread should be closed. It began with a misleading title and insults and hasn't really risen from that. There are far better threads on the issue which are useful, informative, don't contain personal insults and are composed of reasonably balanced arguments.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think affordable housing is a great idea,people work hard but due to the current climate in Dublin especially it makes it impossible for a single person on average wage(32k) to buy their own house.
    Alot of people want it so much they take on 2nd jobs work all hours and eventually earn enough to get the mortgage then noce they have it can give up the crazy worknig hours etc as mortgage repayments are not as bad as trying to get the mortgage in the first place.

What does piss me off is the people esp couples on over that wage buying affordable housing houses because "ah sure we will get something back from the government" who could afford an apt or a house with out getting affordable housing help,and taking up these houses for those that need the subsidy more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Moonbeam wrote:
    I think affordable housing is a great idea,people work hard but due to the current climate in Dublin especially it makes it impossible for a single person on average wage(32k) to buy their own house.
    If you are earning 32k you won't be in the running for a mortgage on one of these affordable houses. You will, however, be subsidising through your taxes others earning 45k and above to purchase theirs. How do you feel about that?

SkepticOne wrote:
    If you are earning 32k you won't be in the running for a mortgage on one of these affordable houses. You will, however, be subsidising through your taxes others earning 45k and above to purchase theirs. How do you feel about that?

I actually know someone who got an Affordable Housing mortgage on 30k and is happily living in their apartment as we speak. (it's not me before you jump :) )

I don't know where you got this from?!?!

I have to keep saying it. The limit for Affordable Housing is 40k for a single person and 100k for a couple based on 2.5 times the main earners wage plus the secondary earner.

AFFORDABLE HOUSING INITIATIVE allows for higher earners up to 55k but is NOT THE SAME. The houses are dearer, and it's up to you to get a bank loan!

I'm sure Kingsize will be well able to quote you. For my part, here is the evidence you have asked for. Some of it is from your previous thread which I linked in my previous post, perhaps you've chosen to ignore it:

There's a halting site just up the road and the place is right beside a massive ugly shopping centre (and we all know the kind of vagrants that hang around certain northside shopping centres).

€1200 a month for the privilige of living beside a halting site in Darndale is such a 'good deal'!

I though, suffer from a superiority complex, and will certainly not live in Darndale! I've got standards

I don't really wish to be surrounded by immigrants - look at what happened on Parnell Street!

I don't want to live in a high crime area complete with unruly kids, drugs and horses - these are the facts about the Darndale/Coolock area.

I just can't see any attraction whatsoever in wanting to live in:
    Hampton Wood, Finglas
    Laburnam Cottage Apartments, Ashtown
    Park West, Dublin 12
    Priory Hall, Donaghmede
    Prospect Hill, Finglas
    etc.

I think that's enough evidence.
    The above are fact-based. Any opinion based on the above facts are firmly-held, and reasonable views. I take it you'd have no problem living on Parnell Street or beside a Darndale halting site? Hardly the kind of places you'd bring your granny over for Sunday lunch now are they? You fail to see that it's these people who choose to isolate and ghettoise themselves, not me who isolates them (due to their own behaviour). If they feel so aggrieved by the behaviour of their neighbours, then they should either shun that kind of behaviour or put themselves in more stable living conditions where they (and their kids) won't come across that kind of anti-social behaviour. But some people choose to live a certain way, in full knowledge that they're up against the statistics of society. Others though, have no choice, they're trapped in a certain area and a certain way of life, and they're the people I feel sorry for (I'm thinking of the traveller woman who my mother used to invite into our home for tea when I was younger). But to say that their plight is a direct result of the middle/upper classes refusing to be associated with their peers is ridiculous. Your utopian view-point on the world, whilst admirable, is a simplistic one-size-fits-all view, that doesn't apply to the realitiy of the competitive world in which we find ourselves in.

I still think paying €1200 a month to live at the arse-end of the Malahide road with a shopping centre for a view from your window represents awful value for money.
    You've made your views quite clear. If you are blissfully happy in your own situation well then that's cool, I'm just having difficulty understanding why the issue is such a hot one for you when you don't seem to have any plans to avail of it. Why can't you just leave it? You've made your points, what do you hope to achieve by getting people riled up over it and insulting people? I'm being genuine here. You don't strike me as a person who would be particularly sympathetic towards other people who you don't know, so I'm having difficulty understanding why you care so much when it doesn't involve you.
    Of course it involves me - it's my tax money that is being handed over to developers and PR agencies.
    I second Kingsize that the thread should be closed. It began with a misleading title and insults and hasn't really risen from that. There are far better threads on the issue which are useful, informative, don't contain personal insults and are composed of reasonably balanced arguments.
    Well at least it will do something to wipe the air of happy couples and carefree innocence off the affordable housing "scheme". On a macro level, the big brother government is there looking out for you and giving you a leg up in the world. The micro reality of politics is that individuals will sort themselves out first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I don't know where you got this from?!?!
    http://carrigaline.blogspot.com/2007/02/dick-roche-delivering-on-affordable.html

There's a link on that article about the latest Affordable Housing offering in Dublin., exactly as Skeptic says.

http://carrigaline.blogspot.com/2007/02/dick-roche-delivering-on-affordable.html

There's a link on that article about the latest Affordable Housing offering in Dublin., exactly as Skeptic says.

That's the affordable housing INITIATIVE by the looks of it. They recently offered the same thing in Ongar. They are inviting applications from individuals between those income bands to buy specifically priced and allocated properties in the listed locations. If you apply for Affordable Housing the normal way, you will get a CHEAPER house/apartment and you MUST be earning less than 40k.

They are SEPERATE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

That's the affordable housing INITIATIVE by the looks of it. They recently offered the same thing in Ongar. They are inviting applications from individuals between those income bands to buy specifically priced and allocated properties in the listed locations. If you apply for Affordable Housing the normal way, you will get a CHEAPER house/apartment and you MUST be earning less than 40k.

They are SEPERATE!!!
    Apologies, I didn't realise they were two different things. Could you give me a link for information about the scheme you're talking about?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

SkepticOne wrote:

When I bought my house my basic wage was less then 32k,I also took on a 2nd job ,and declared the income I had received from odd jobs just to get my mortgage.
    After I moved in to my house I was able to go back to just working one job and having a life again.
    My house isn't in the loaction where I want to live,is a bit small but it does me and when I have more money I can move on.

If affordable homes became available where I grew up,I think I would feel a little pissed off that people earning more then I was were getting houses near where I would call home at an affordable price,when I am stuck living miles away when it wasn't an option for me and that my tax money was subsidising it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Moonbeam wrote:
    When I bought my house my basic wage was less then 32k,I also took on a 2nd job ,and declared the income I had received from odd jobs just to get my mortgage.
    After I moved in to my house I was able to go back to just working one job and having a life again.
    My house isn't in the loaction where I want to live,is a bit small but it does me and when I have more money I can move on.

If affordable homes became available where I grew up,I think I would feel a little pissed off that people earning more then I was were getting houses near where I would call home at an affordable price,when I am stuck living miles away when it wasn't an option for me and that my tax money was subsidising it too.
    As CherieAmour points out, I was looking at the wrong scheme.

I would still be against it for the same reason, however. Why should those earning up to 40k (and higher under other schemes) a year be the recipients of assistance?

Moonbeam wrote:

I'm with you on this. I'd be pissed off too. Taxpayers' money is being used in a completely irresponsible fashion with regards to the affordable housing scheme.

Just for the record before I give up on this thread
    Cantab. wrote:
    Oh really? Serious talk from a serious chap. You'll be able to demonstrate how corrupt I am then? I've got the Mahon Tribunal and Moriarty Tribunal, what have you got?

Its blatantly obvious how corrupt you are from what youve said on here, you're a mercenary little snob Who has admitted to being on the Affordable housing scheme ,But because the areas are far beneath you'll continue to stay on the list & snigger into your breakfast in Dublin 6.
    You'll take what they give you though when it suits you.
    Your'e very proud of where you rent & the fact that there is no crime or joyriders ,drugs or horses there.
    Ironic then that the most famous resident of D6 in recent history was one of Dublin's biggest scumbags.
    If the Affordble housing scheme is a Government scam then by your rationale the Moriarty tribunal & The Mahon tribunal are vote catching smokescreens set up by the government to gloss over all the dodgy deals of the past & a waste of taxpayers money.

Speaking of which
    Cantab. wrote:
    Of course it involves me - it's my tax money that is being handed over to developers and PR agencies."

Ah, I Didn't realise that it was just your tax that was bankrolling the whole affair no wonder you feel hard done by , why not move to Germany & the whole thing will fall apart without YOUR tax money.
    you're 25 & have been working how long?You've probably paid enough income tax in your entire lifetime to barely get an upgrade on a Ministerial Merc , Yet you think all your wages are being Squandered on stupid stuff like that crap housing scheme .
    Its unfair they really should ask you where you want your tax spent shouldn't they ??? But they just want to waste it on instead of providing cheap quality housing in leafy suburbs for elite graduates like you.Its funny how you think some of us are deluded into believing in an unreal "Utopia" yet all you seem to do is whinge about how unfair this all is, well life is unfair & as you seem have more options than others why not use those options instead of moaning about how shyte things are.
    Tax is spent on on lot of things you might not agree with but what are ya gonna do e.g. Spare a thought for us poor bastards who's tax paid for Free tuition fees for colleges to churn out jumped up arrogant little sh_ts like you.
    Cantab. wrote:
    Undesirables would hardly be known as undesirables if they weren't "undesirable" now, would they? I take it you like "undesirables" then?

Depends on what you class as undesirable, You say that I have conveniently missed the sarcasm in your earlier statements & then you completely miss what I am getting at here???
    Cantab. wrote:
    Please quote me. You are caught up in a rounding-up-the-mob mentality with your cries of "racist", "hate-filled" and "narrow-mindedness". Why don't you be more specific in your responses? Instead of this, all you are capable of is mindless yelling and screaming like a farmer with a branding iron.

"I don't really wish to be surrounded by immigrants - look at what happened on Parnell Street!"

I'm still baffled as to "what happened" on parnell st, but if youre gonna quote me Please quote me Properly I Never said you were racist which is why i used the term Borderline racist, For the record I suspect you are, but havent the balls to reveal your true feelings.But then again when i posted that i didnt realise that your mother used to give a traveller woman tea when you were younger , so obviously you cant be racist then can you? my mistake- no wonder you dont want to live near the halting site, your family tradition of random acts of tea making would take up half the day with such a large concentration of travellers in one place.
    So tell us Why don't you want to live in Parnell St ????

You want me to be specific,actually it's all in the eye of the beholder , I'm from one of the areas you mentioned & I'm offended by what you say.
    I'd go so far as to say it's incitement to hatred - no chip on my shoulder just a pain in me BoL!x from having to put up with your ignorant & unoriginal point of view.
    Whether what you say is" Fact based" or not is open to debate unless of course its based on the fact that you believe everything you read in the Evening Herald.

As for "yelling and screaming like a farmer with a branding iron." thats rich coming from someone who sounds like a ranting cab driver with an opinion on everything & a knowledge of F_ck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

cantab - nobody is forcing anybody to apply for these schemes. nobdy on affordable list complain about the properties.

If people(who pay) cant afford to buy places - then its up to the government to help them out in some way. Otherwise they will be out of government quick smart.

A couple both earning an average salary cannot even afford to buy a house in one of these "dumps" you call them. So what are they supposed to do?

They dont have much options - and the affordable housing is appealing.

Kingsize wrote:
    Just for the record before I give up on this thread

Its blatantly obvious how corrupt you are from what youve said on here, you're a mercenary little snob Who has admitted to being on the Affordable housing scheme ,But because the areas are far beneath you'll continue to stay on the list & snigger into your breakfast in Dublin 6.
    You'll take what they give you though when it suits you.
    Your'e very proud of where you rent & the fact that there is no crime or joyriders ,drugs or horses there.
    Ironic then that the most famous resident of D6 in recent history was one of Dublin's biggest scumbags.
    Only yet again you fail to see the irony... I'm not sure which famous criminal are referring to, but I'm sure he was attracted the area for solid reasons.

I don't know who you think you are throwing the personal insults around? I'm proud of where I live. I'm sure you're proud of where you live? I hope that's something we can agree on? Great, now let's move on.
    Kingsize wrote:
    If the Affordble housing scheme is a Government scam then by your rationale the Moriarty tribunal & The Mahon tribunal are vote catching smokescreens set up by the government to gloss over all the dodgy deals of the past & a waste of taxpayers money.
    Yeah, as far as I can see it's a scam. There is no reason on earth why those on the high tax bands need hand-outs from the state, particularly in a housing market that is tanking as we speak. Home ownership for a priviliged section of society (and the personal wealth that's associated with owning a home) is not a right. Personal wealth in this form should not be handed to you from big brother, when homeless people, people on the minimum wage and people with poor credit histories are effectively excluded from the affordable homes scheme.
    Kingsize wrote:
    Ah, I Didn't realise that it was just your tax that was bankrolling the whole affair no wonder you feel hard done by , why not move to Germany & the whole thing will fall apart without YOUR tax money.
    you're 25 & have been working how long?You've probably paid enough income tax in your entire lifetime to barely get an upgrade on a Ministerial Merc , Yet you think all your wages are being Squandered on stupid stuff like that crap housing scheme .
    Ah, I see your true colours now. It's none of your business how long I've been working - and what does it matter to this discussion anyway? You feel you have greater entitlement because you have been working longer? We're both equal status citizens and how long you've been working for someone is irrelevant in the eyes of the state. You should be grateful that you have lived in a booming economy complete with full employment. Keep your eye on your own ball and stop looking at what other people are doing - believe me, it's a futile exercise and will get you nowhere. I work for myself and pay the relevant taxes to the government each year. Ireland's not a bad place to do business at the moment (regardless of the price of houses). And yeah, I probably will move in the next couple of months primarily because of the cost of office rent and the wages that Irish people expect.
    Kingsize wrote:
    Its unfair they really should ask you where you want your tax spent shouldn't they ??? But they just want to waste it on instead of providing cheap quality housing in leafy suburbs for elite graduates like you.Its funny how you think some of us are deluded into believing in an unreal "Utopia" yet all you seem to do is whinge about how unfair this all is, well life is unfair & as you seem have more options than others why not use those options instead of moaning about how shyte things are.
    Tax is spent on on lot of things you might not agree with but what are ya gonna do e.g. Spare a thought for us poor bastards who's tax paid for Free tuition fees for colleges to churn out jumped up arrogant little sh_ts like you.
    I have never advocated the provision of affordable housing in the so-called "leafy suburbs". I am totally against the principle of affordable housing that is being touted by government, no matter where it is (the fact that affordable housing is only being planned for poor quality areas is ironic and to be quite honest, doesn't surprise me one bit). And you go on about "elite graduates" - I don't know where this is coming from, you don't even know me, but there's that chip again. Life is unfair, we agree yet again. I'm moaning about the waste of tax money. I'm very happy with the life I have created for myself and have no intentions of setting foot into the Irish property whirlpool. So before you go throwing around insults, you should at least read (and understand) where I am coming from - you obviously have all these preconceived ideas about me based on where I live (for some reason :?). Your true colours are coming through yet again.
    Kingsize wrote:
    Depends on what you class as undesirable, You say that I have conveniently missed the sarcasm in your earlier statements & then you completely miss what I am getting at here???
    It doesn't depend on anything really. An undesirable is an undesirable. You were knocked off course by a sentence of obvious irony and then you expect to go on and make a credible point based on this oversight? So yeah, I did miss what you were attempting to get at.
    Kingsize wrote:
    I'm still baffled as to "what happened" on parnell st, but if youre gonna quote me Please quote me Properly I Never said you were racist which is why i used the term Borderline racist, For the record I suspect you are, but havent the balls to reveal your true feelings.But then again when i posted that i didnt realise that your mother used to give a traveller woman tea when you were younger , so obviously you cant be racist then can you? my mistake- no wonder you dont want to live near the halting site, your family tradition of random acts of tea making would take up half the day with such a large concentration of travellers in one place.
    So tell us Why don't you want to live in Parnell St ????
    Ok so I'm not a racist? But I'm a borderline racist? That's like claiming I'm a border-line tax evader when in fact my tax affairs are 100% in order. If you someone said that to me in the real world, I'd have them up in court. So please spell out what you mean by being a "border-line racist".
    Kingsize wrote:
    You want me to be specific,actually it's all in the eye of the beholder , I'm from one of the areas you mentioned & I'm offended by what you say.
    I'd go so far as to say it's incitement to hatred - no chip on my shoulder just a pain in me BoL!x from having to put up with your ignorant & unoriginal point of view.
    Whether what you say is" Fact based" or not is open to debate unless of course its based on the fact that you believe everything you read in the Evening Herald.
    Yawn. Evening Herald eh? Wouldn't it be so convenient for you if what you presumed to be true about me, actually was? You have created this distorted image in your mind, rooted in that chip on your shoulder, taken this whole debate unnecessarily personally, and come up with the kind of drivel and personal insults written above. Why don't you just calm down, stop misrepresenting my views, and see my central point: that affordable housing is an unnecessary use of taxpayers' money for the benefit of private developers.
    Kingsize wrote:
    As for "yelling and screaming like a farmer with a branding iron." thats rich coming from someone who sounds like a ranting cab driver with an opinion on everything & a knowledge of F_ck all.
    Stereotyping cab drivers now are we? Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭KingKenny7

Where are people getting the idea that you need to earn over 45k a year to get affordable housing. You might mean that they can get a mortage......

This is from the housing site....

It is aimed at first time purchasers who have low to middle income and who would otherwise find it difficult to compete in the current private property market. This is defined as:
    “Housing provided for those who need accommodation and who otherwise would have to pay more than 35% of their net annual income on mortgage payments for the purchase of a suitable dwelling”

As you can see, its low to middle, is 45k low??

Advertisement