Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension cables??

Options
  • 17-02-2007 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

well i have a p180 and cos of its size the power cable for the CPU is a bit of a stretch. it connects up fine really but its stretched accross my graphics card i intend on water cooling my setup in the next few months so it will be in the way when i do. Just wonder is there extension cables available out there. i could go cutting wires and i'd be comfortable doin that as a last resort but extensions would be great so i can tidy it away up the side of the case without damagin my power supply. o also i'm not goin to buy a new power supply.

other problem i got a zalman fan controller. the connectors on the fans in the case are the type that take power from HD power connectors is there adapters out there to make em fit normal fan sockets or would it be cheaper to buy new fans alltogether.

Finally i've experimented with hookin up two and three fans to one socket on the fan controller but the Transistor heat sink get pretty hot. would i still be within safe limits doin this (i dont think it is). so is there a way of controllin three fans from one nob so i can have all case fans goin at the one speed with the flick of a switch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Are you smoking crack ?

You want to cut and shop psu cables? You mad bastard you ! Yes you can get extension cables. www.overlcockers.co.uk and www.scan.co.uk sell them.

And yes you can get fans that run from 3 pin instead of 4 pin(molex) You best bet is to get some zalman fanmate controllers. oc ans scan have these too.

And how exactally did you manage to get 3/4 fans runnin form 1 source? did you splice the wires?

If you plan to run a asshat load of fans, get 2 controllers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

well i have a p180 and cos of its size the power cable for the CPU is a bit of a stretch. it connects up fine really but its stretched accross my graphics card i intend on water cooling my setup in the next few months so it will be in the way when i do. Just wonder is there extension cables available out there. i could go cutting wires and i'd be comfortable doin that as a last resort but extensions would be great so i can tidy it away up the side of the case without damagin my power supply. o also i'm not goin to buy a new power supply.

I had a similar problem in my P180 and also thought about extending the four pin cable but in the end it just reached by routing it under my graphics card and carefully around the cpu socket...has the advantage of being fairly hidden this way. As for a premade extension I haven't seen one for sale but it would be easy enough to extend the cable using a soldering iron and some shrinkwrap.

P180's are a great case but can be a bit painful to wire neatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

OK..I stand corrected...4pin extension...out of stock though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Well hopeful all i can say to you is thank god for common sense. here was me looking for an elaborate solution for what i now se to be a simple solution. will be tuckin it in behind the GFX card tomorrow.Bit drunk now so it would be a bad idea to try now lol! GENIUS.

Anti, i just used one of the extension cables that came with the Zalman fan controller. The controller i refer to is the front mounted one with four nobs on it just so you know. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=303859 I just snipped it and tucked the corresponding wires tidily into one of my fans harddrive type connectors. that got one up and and running after that a second and third fan could be controlled by connecting them to the back of the first one as they are double sided and therefore stackable. but this caused the fan controllers heat sink to heat up alot but it's still working fine now with one. i have spare conrollers on the Zalman but i'd have to chop up cables for each one and i dont want to it just looks bad. and i cant find exactly what i'm lookin for, a 4 pin molex to 3pin fan adaptor. ideally i'd like to be able to use a single nob to control all three case fans safely without over heating the thing maybe some kind of amplifier circuit. i think i could build one in college. lol. what you think.

Advertisement